Referee Brian McGinley trying to cost Rangers the League cup.

He used to referee a lot of the police matches. He was never biased against us. Yes incompetent at times but an alright ref.

I know him (He's a friend of my dad). He was not biased against us.

Can't remember the exact rule in 84, but it could have been more than 4 steps
He was a prod, he was never a Rangers fan, he was gay, he never helped Celtic. He was a lot of things.....and he was also a prick and a poor referee who never showed consistency.

Spoke to him in Retox in Pattaya at the last game against the yahoos.He was in the Rangers end of the pub,cheering on the bears though strangely he thought Clancy had a decent game.
You will never ever find a Referee call out another Referee

He used to referee a lot of the police matches. He was never biased against us. Yes incompetent at times but an alright ref.
What would you call that decision if not a bias one against Rangers ?
Did you watch it?
Its clearly as corrupt a decision as you'll find.

David Slyme at Hampden on March 18th, 1978 in the LC final v the filth takes some beating.

John Greig swings a cross over from the left flank and DJ knocks in for a goal.

Slyme then disallows the goal apparently on the grounds that JG had illegally left the park.

What happened is what you see in every game, every week. In swinging over the cross, his momentum took him over the line. I might be wrong but I think he booked John Greig for ungentlemanly conduct.

Utter cheating scum, the lot of them.

Someone must be able to get a hold on this one because there are TV highlights of it. No question.
David had Season tickets at Ibrox

Met him on many occasions, he's a frequent visitor to the Ellangowan Masonic club in milngavie, dropping in on his way home to Balfron.
An alright guy , I know he spends a lot of time in Thailand but heh ho who gives a f#ck .
As a referee he was one of the best, I think he had 40 odd old firm games & never sent anyone off , old school, not like these pricks nowadays.
Definitely not a Tim sympathiser

I was once at a sportsman's dinner and McGinley was speaking at it. He is right up there with Tam McManus as the most shitty, unfunny, cringe- inducing speaker i have had the displeasure to see.
You’ve not seen Bill Leckie then?

Getting worse than the mentally challenged when it comes to paranoia ffs! Going all the way back to the 80s!

That's an oxymoron of a moniker if ever there was one.

But sod the 80s. I can whisk you back in time to the 60s and 70s encompassed in one season.

Aug 1969 at the scum hut in a LC tie. John Hughes, who has already been booked, fells our own Willie Johnston in an off the ball clash. The linesman even draws the ref's attention to it. It is a clear second booking (no cards back then) but the referee, James Callaghan, decides to let it go. The filth go on to win the game and Rangers are knocked out from the CL sections.

In the aftermath, the referee is banned for a month following his performance. Apparently Hibs had appealed against his performance in one of their games too.

Is it paranoia pointing out these decisions?

We fast forward in the same season to Feb 1970. Once again a Cup tie at the scum hut, this time the Scottish.

Alex MacDonald goes for a loose ball with the yahoo goalkeeper, and it ends with yahoo defender, Jim Brogan, clearly pushing wee doddie to the ground.

Alex MacDonald is sent off and Brogan gets away for his part in the incident.

As I said yesterday, thank fc_uk I don't have to encounter some so called Rangers fans on this thread in my daily life.

I don’t remember the incident you refer to but Greig might have been judged to have been offside and that may have been the correct decision. Davie Syme was decent, as was his father Willie.
I recall two similar incidents in important games where the officials wrongly allowed goals against Rangers.
The first was a game v Dortmund at Ibrox in 1966 when Sigi Held went to the bye-line and played the ball into the box then fell into the photographers. A Dortmund player shot wide of the goal and Held came back onto the pitch to control the ball on the bye-line and cross low for a tap-in.
The second occasion was the 6-2 game at Parkhead in 2000. Sutton scored Celtic’s first goal by stepping back onto the pitch at the goalpost to turn the ball into the net. Klos was on the deck by the 6-yard line and only Billy Dodds was on the goal line at the other post.

There is no might or even may about it.

Greig had played a one-two down the left flank and ran on to swing the ball across. It was reported in the rags the following day that it was because in the ref's eyes he had illegally crossed the bye-line when crossing the ball.

As for his old man? You may have stumbled upon a point here.

It is widely rumoured that ba' face (Stein) was known to chin Syme Jnr about his old man's supposed Rangers leanings.

Syme Jnr shat it back in 1978.

And here's the moral to this thread. Whether it be McGinlay in the 80s, whether it be Slyme in 1978, right here we have examples of Scottish referees applying rules to the letter of the letter of the law only against Rangers, that have never been applied before or since. And certainly not in a Cup final.

That's an oxymoron of a moniker if ever there was one.

But sod the 80s. I can whisk you back in time to the 60s and 70s encompassed in one season.

Aug 1969 at the scum hut in a LC tie. John Hughes, who has already been booked, fells our own Willie Johnston in an off the ball clash. The linesman even draws the ref's attention to it. It is a clear second booking (no cards back then) but the referee, James Callaghan, decides to let it go. The filth go on to win the game and Rangers are knocked out from the CL sections.

In the aftermath, the referee is banned for a month following his performance. Apparently Hibs had appealed against his performance in one of their games too.

We fast forward in the same season to Feb 1970. Once again a Cup tie at the scum hut, this time the Scottish.

Alex MacDonald goes for a loose ball with the yahoo goalkeeper, and it ends with yahoo defender, Jim Brogan, clearly pushing wee doddie to the ground.

Alex MacDonald is sent off and Brogan gets away for his part in the incident.

As I said yesterday, thank fc_uk I don't have to encounter some so called Rangers fans on this thread in my daily life.
Colin Stein, receiving a ban for retaliation that would ensure he would miss the 1969 Scottish Cup final.

Last edited:
Given the way Scotland in general has swung away from Presbyterianism since the 1980s, I think referees in general have had an aversion to be seen favouring us. Its not quite the same as cheating but its close

I've an old article from the 50s where Willie Allison called out the irregular Referee decisions that often went against Rangers.

Those on here shrugging their shoulders or mocking anyone highlighting the years of corrupt decisions against the club are part of the problem.
Its the attitude that has got us where we are today with the likes of Clancy Beaton and Madden ensuring we have an uphill task to gain a win before a ball is even kicked.

I've an old article from the 50s where Willie Allison called out the irregular Referee decisions that often went against Rangers.

Those on here shrugging their shoulders or mocking anyone highlighting the years of corrupt decisions against the club are part of the problem.
Its the attitude that has got us where we are today with the likes of Clancy Beaton and Madden ensuring we have an uphill task to gain a win before a ball is even kicked.

If you ever met my old man and we got onto the subject of referees, he would still tell you of the 1958 SC semi final replay against Hibs.

Rangers scored a legitimate equaliser just before the final whistle, Hibs players surrounded the referee, one, Bobby Davidson, and the goal was chalked off. According to my old man one Hibs player had the ref by the throat.

Justice prevailed in the next round mind you, Clyde beat the fcuks in the final.

As my old man would always tell me growing up; 'Masonic referees? I'd shoot every, last one of the ratbags.'

However this thread has been derailed to an extent. It's not about bad refereeing decisions as such. They have happened in games in every decade where football is played.

This thread started off I believe highlighting refereeing decisions against The Rangers, that had never been applied before or since.

We should highlight them in perpetuity as far as I'm concerned.

Check out the penalty he gave against Rangers here to get Aberdeen back into the game when they were 2-0 down..

my first ever visit to pitodrie and our supporters bud left without me and my mate in the way back we were 16 and 15 at the time got a lift back to Glasgow from e RSC bus taking us back to the Morvern pub in springburn

wonder if that pub is still there - any bears tell me ????

my first ever visit to pitodrie and our supporters bud left without me and my mate in the way back we were 16 and 15 at the time got a lift back to Glasgow from e RSC bus taking us back to the Morvern pub in springburn

wonder if that pub is still there - any bears tell me ????
the building is still there,not sure if its still trading as a boozer though,it has opened and closed a few times i think,and at one point im sure it was a restaurant (possibly indian).bit shit to be leaving 2 young kids in aberdeen though ,

David Slyme at Hampden on March 18th, 1978 in the LC final v the filth takes some beating.

John Greig swings a cross over from the left flank and DJ knocks in for a goal.

Slyme then disallows the goal apparently on the grounds that JG had illegally left the park.

What happened is what you see in every game, every week. In swinging over the cross, his momentum took him over the line. I might be wrong but I think he booked John Greig for ungentlemanly conduct.

Utter cheating scum, the lot of them.

Someone must be able to get a hold on this one because there are TV highlights of it. No question.
i remember it well. it was said that greig went over the line so as not to be offside when dj headed it. (the rules at that time). his momentum took him over, nothing ungentlemanly about it.

Behave yerself. Too many people have spent too much time watching tv with every angle for all decisions.

Here's a fact, Rangers were dire at that time, I dont even remember this and to be honest I'd forgot about mcginley
it's ok to make up a free kick because "rangers were dire"
you've stated you don't remember it.
may not rankle with you but certainly does with many bears who remember it.

I know that mate. I remember the private detective stuff. It was hilarious, all you could offer them was the phone number for a recommended quack. Even the less paranoid mentally challengeds were embarrassed by it.

What exactly has less paranoid mentally challengeds ( your words) got to do with documented proof of referees officiating Rangers to different standards, not seen before or since?

If you are a Rangers fan, then has been said elsewhere, people like you are a huge part of the problem besetting us.

Did McGinlay not get done for some deviant frolicking in a public toilet?
There used to be a pre-season tournament organised by one of the amateur teams down our way and they used to get senior referees to referee the latter stages. This particular year Mike McGinley did the semi and Brian McGinley the final. During the final Brian McGinley has made a decision which I was obviously not very happy with and I made a comment (can't remember exactly what it was) which was a direct reference to the matter which you mention above. I got a yellow card for my efforts and then got sent off later in the game for fighting. As a result of my red card the organisers of the tournament refused to present me with the player of the tournament award which I richly deserved instead giving it to one of the cloggers playing for their own team. So thank you very much Brian.

What exactly has less paranoid mentally challengeds ( your words) got to do with documented proof of referees officiating Rangers to different standards, not seen before or since?

If you are a Rangers fan, then has been said elsewhere, people like you are a huge part of the problem besetting us.
Behave herself. I'm a rangers fan alright, but if you want to think different I couldnt give a monkeys.

I take the blame though for all our problems. Hope that keeps you happy.

Behave herself. I'm a Rangers fan alright, but if you want to think different I couldnt give a monkeys.

I take the blame though for all our problems. Hope that keeps you happy.

I'll never be happy when Rangers fans give you documented proof that Rangers have been refereed to a different standard than everyone else and chumps like you pour scorn on said proof.

Rangers fans like you give me the boak, and as I said, you are part of the problem.

I'll never be happy when Rangers fans give you documented proof that Rangers have been refereed to a different standard than everyone else and chumps like you pour scorn on said proof.

Rangers fans like you give me the boak, and as I said, you are part of the problem.
Now if I remember back then, there was only one set of fans who thought there was a Masonic conspiracy and we all know who that was. Yes, we had decisions go against us, but so did others, but we never thought much of it.

Rangers fans like me you say, well at least I can put my hand up and say I attended all our games back then. Plenty didn't. We were feckin rank but I stuck it out and still loved going to the games.And you know what, it was worth it when 1986 came along.

Yes, I'm part of the problem though. Grow up

Now if I remember back then, there was only one set of fans who thought there was a Masonic conspiracy and we all know who that was. Yes, we had decisions go against us, but so did others, but we never thought much of it.

Rangers fans like me you say, well at least I can put my hand up and say I attended all our games back then. Plenty didn't. We were feckin rank but I stuck it out and still loved going to the games.And you know what, it was worth it when 1986 came along.

Yes, I'm part of the problem though. Grow up

I went to games back then too. What exactly is your point?

We are pointing out in this thread incidents that applied to Rangers and no one else.

The OP pointed out a perfect example of what we are up against.

Did he ever apply these rules again?

BTW, I don't know how many times Sandy Jardine was ever sent off. But McGinlay saw fit to send him off at Broomfield, Dec 1974.

To say McGinlay was a wrong un, is to abuse wrong uns.

I went to games back then too. What exactly is your point?

We are pointing out in this thread incidents that applied to Rangers and no one else.

The OP pointed out a perfect example of what we are up against.

Did he ever apply these rules again?

BTW, I don't know how many times Sandy Jardine was ever sent off. But McGinlay saw fit to send him off at Broomfield, Dec 1974.

To say McGinlay was a wrong un, is to abuse wrong uns.
Ok you win. Mainly because you called me a chump. I've never been so offended.

Awarding Scumdee Utd an indirect free kick in the Rangers penalty box in the final minute of the 1984 League cup final. Clearly making up the rules to suit himself.
McGinley is another of those Ex Refs often hired for speakers nights where he uses his routine to brag of how he used to aid Rangers.:rolleyes:
Nothing could be further from the truth..
Did mcginley not get caught with someone's knob in his hands in a public toilet at Partick cross?

Back