Refereeing algorithms

Rick Roberts

I’ll assume we all agree that the referees go very easy on celtic. The stats show that the referees are very consistent with this and have been for the past few seasons. Clancy proved this rule in the last game with a display that pushed the limits of what's believable.

If things go as I expect (and go anything like last February) then the referees will be even more predictable in their control of the game.

The question is, could this be used at the bookies?

Does anyone follow betting enough to point out some decent bets on yellow cards in our and their games? With two aims, we make money on it, and then, would the betting companies start to look at the performance of the referees if Clancy continues to flash 3 cards to every Rangers player that looks at him funny?

The problem with using algorithms to bet is that the bookies are probably already using better ones to set the odds.

I thought this was going to be about which algorithm allows the same ref to get two home league games in a row at the same ground.

I thought this was going to be something about how to highlight inconsistencies and improve the refereeing standard.
Not about how to make a swift pound.
Please gamble responsibly
Me too. Expected to be hit with a table of statistics.

Ive been saying for ages id be surprised if someone isnt making a few quid gambling on the cards what more could you ask for than being able to decide if the bet is coming up. So easy to do it all you need is one dishonest/biased/corrupt official...... hmmmm wonder which league in europe has bent referees eh ?

This would be a way for Rangers to question what is happening without saying we know its cheating.

why do so many refs watch our players getting kicked around the pitch and ignore it using very lenient tactics to avoid showing our opponents yellow cards.... but in the same game one of our players often ends up seeing red ? it couldnt be more obvious and if we are feeling really brave we could add it seems to go in Celtic games too only difference is its always Celtic that benefit. Is it linked to betting ?

i think op makes a good point, we need people outside of scottish football to ask questions and put pressure on refs if i was a bookie(id go broke in no time) id be watching for any strange special bets on our games or the tims. To rule out gambling is as daft as people suggesting theres no cheating.

I have noticed that with the referees reluctance to give out yellows against us that going under in the booking index is usually value

I thought this was going to be something about how to highlight inconsistencies and improve the refereeing standard.
Not about how to make a swift pound.
Please gamble responsibly

Perhaps my first post was too subtle. It is to ultimately highlight inconsistencies and put pressure on refs.

Firstly, nobody cares what fan say, even if backed by stats or facts. Things only change when a stakeholder starts losing money. As soon as the bookies think somethings not right then watch how fast they react.

Like someone says, they've already got algorithms that react to betting patterns, so never really lose, but its something to think about. I haven't been following markets hence the post to ask if anyone does. If odds are similar then i'd say there's value there for us. If odds are different between teams (for similar games) then surely it just adds to questions of consistency.

Back