Referees and collisions with players / ball

Southside_shug

I've noticed this is happening a lot more regularly (at least once last night)

IIRC a referee would basically go from corner flag left in one half to corner flag right in the other (diagonally) covering the opposite side from the assistants on the line

Are they now being told to stay more central?

Early on in the game last night there was a pass played inside from the left and it opened up perfect for Lundstram to hit a shot first time, but the ref got in his way and he had to take control of the ball instead.

I think the game in general is a lot quicker now that the refs stay as close to the ball as they can to keep up with play, so they can try and get most of the "big" decisions right.

Then they have the comfort blanket of VAR if they miss anything

I think the game in general is a lot quicker now that the refs stay as close to the ball as they can to keep up with play, so they can try and get most of the "big" decisions right.

Then they have the comfort blanket of VAR if they miss anything
Refs are also far better in Europe. Maybe why their positioning is better.

You get the odd poor ref, but nothing like the piss poor consistency we see weekly in the domestic game.

Telling that no Scottish refs were selected for the Euro’s despite it being the biggest competition ever.

You get the odd poor ref, but nothing like the piss poor consistency we see weekly in the domestic game.

Telling that no Scottish refs were selected for the Euro’s despite it being the biggest competition ever.
Obviously our refs here are terrible but I can't say I'd agree refs in Europe are far better. Last night's missed a blatant penalty, the one against Sparta Prague was one of the worst I've ever seen at any level.
Plenty of times over the last couple of seasons I've thought the refs abroad were just as bad as ours.

Obviously our refs here are terrible but I can't say I'd agree refs in Europe are far better. Last night's missed a blatant penalty, the one against Sparta Prague was one of the worst I've ever seen at any level.
Plenty of times over the last couple of seasons I've thought the refs abroad were just as bad as ours.
Agreed that they aren’t always perfect, but by and large they are much better.

The ref in Prague was a horror. But still nothing close to the level of shit produced by Beaton against Hibs a few years ago, or the pinnacle of horrendous performances from Clancy against the beasts.

I could be wrong but did UEFA only select refs from countries who already use VAR?

Early on in the game last night there was a pass played inside from the left and it opened up perfect for Lundstram to hit a shot first time, but the ref got in his way and he had to take control of the ball instead.
Don’t think the big man fancied hitting that with his right foot tbh. Another good performance under his belt last night.

Back