Release clauses

ecossebear

Everyone seems to be concerned we are going to lose all our best players for nothing next summer if we don’t sell them this summer. Would they be more likely to sign on again if we agreed to put in a release clause of a certain value? The likes of Kent and Aribo, new 3 year contracts with a clause that says we will let them go if we get an offer of £10m?

Rather a gentleman's agreement than an actual release clause although I think these players know that if any decent offer comes in they’ll have to consider their future

We may not have any other choice if they're heading into the last year of their contract and ready to leave like Goldson has.
That’s my view. We won’t get huge fees for those players as they only have a year left on there contract. And they may not want to be tied in for a long term contract if they get the opportunity to go to a big team. So you insert a clause worth what they could be expected to fetch this summer. I don’t really see how we lose as we may be more likely to get them to sign. If they don’t sign new contracts they’ll either go for a lower value this summer or for free next.

Rather a gentleman's agreement than an actual release clause although I think these players know that if any decent offer comes in they’ll have to consider their future
That gentleman’s agreement worked out well for Harry Kane

Then we sell them and replace them, that’s how football works

And we'll have to accept reduced fees if they're in the last year of their contract so it doesn't change much. At least a release clause guarantees they won't leave for nothing.

That gentleman’s agreement worked out well for Harry Kane
It benefited spurs though and that’s who we’d be in the situation :D

I’m not sure release clauses are worth the risk as an agent/player will always want them low so they have more options whilst the club needs to watch as their value can easily increase. I’m not sure it would do much with our players as they know already that we’re not turning down big bids for the majority of our players.

Everyone seems to be concerned we are going to lose all our best players for nothing next summer if we don’t sell them this summer. Would they be more likely to sign on again if we agreed to put in a release clause of a certain value? The likes of Kent and Aribo, new 3 year contracts with a clause that says we will let them go if we get an offer of £10m?
Been rumoured Aribo has one already at £10m.

Release clauses aren't designed to be low they're designed to be set at more than what a player is worth so clubs that are desperate will pay it at latter stages of transfer windows

Release clauses aren't designed to be low they're designed to be set at more than what a player is worth so clubs that are desperate will pay it at latter stages of transfer windows
But when they are put in high it is usually for players who want locked in on long contracts. In our case it’s for guys with only a year left as a sweetener to stay on for a year.

Back