Remaining games, points totals and what Gerrard has to do to maintain the goodwill.

Carlisle Bear

We are 11 points off our points total from last season. Losing that game the other night, it was quite harrowing to realise it was almost exactly a year to the day that we lost 2-3 at home to Celtic which was proceeded by the arse collapsing out the season.

At the moment I'd say Gerrard has just about enough goodwill, if the season ended tomorrow he'd be ok. A few claim he is the man - no question, which I can't agree with. Others say he should go now, again I can't agree with that.

The remaining games are exactly the type of match we have stuggled in all season, and there's 9 of them;

Kilmarnock (H)
Celtic (A)
Hearts (H)
Motherwell (A)

Then based on current standings the post-split games will be;

Celtic (H)
Kilmarnock (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Hibs (H)
Hearts (A)

Although maybe not in that order.

People are talking about the rebuild Gerrard has in the summer. I think it's going to be really, really tough based on the evidence so far this season to get through those games with a record that will satisfy a fanbase that is growing even more frustrated.

What does he have to do to get pass marks? And is there a chance the wheels could come off like they did last year?

I was thinking about this earlier and simply put I’d say he probably needs to take 4 out of 6 from the remaining brace of matches against the Yahoos in ensuring we finish a comfortable second reducing the current gap between the teams.

It can go either way. Win the majority of matches and we feel a bit better about ourselves, lose to them twice and suddenly we're looking at another disaster of a season domestically.

To be honest, I don't really care now. We will finish in 2nd place, it doesn't matter if it's 12 ahead of Aberdeen or on goal difference - you don't get a trophy for being runners up. If some people see that as an achievement then our standards have slipped some tho g awful.

Closing the gap on the bheggars won't really mean much - they can afford to take their foot off the gas, the league is over, they have had a managerial change and are on course for back to back to back trebles.

Tuesday was the one that mattered for me and once again we failed to deliver. Our domestic form has been poor, our results and performances in the cup awful.

27 points on offer, we'll likely take around 16 IMO. There is no evidence to suggest we will get near 24 from 27.

Based on the season so far I think we can probably hope for about 16/17 points out of 27 so we'd be finishing mid 70s in terms of points total.

I don't know whether that will be enough to satisfy a lot of our fans.

We need to win all our home games at least. Saying that, if we lose any apart from the tims away he will lose a lot of the goodwill ino

Finish comfortable second and it's progress from last season. Throw in the Celtic win, the European run and him turning Alfie into a £20m player and that's enough credit in the bank for me. No one is denying the cup disappointments but I'm not going to chuck my toys out the pram over them.

He must be given the chance to learn from his mistakes and rectify them next season. Anyone who says he hasn't earned that at the bare minimum then I don't know what to say to them.

I fully believe he knows what kind of player it takes to succeed at Ibrox, even more so than Mark Allen IMO. We'll see a lot more ruthless bastards in the team next season and a lot less mentally fragile ones.

Gerrard took over an absolute mess of a football team less than 12 months ago. People need to remember that.

One game at a time its all tough games now the support can take losing if they feel the manager and players have given everything on the park.

more pressure comes the closer they get to 10

Europe was a bonus but all of us would have traded that to have the title in our own hands regardless for the run in to end of season

Fans are impatient for this reason & blowing hot and cold so much adds to it

We need a strong end to the season

If we lose or draw any of the remaining games, play the kids and the borderline players for the rest of the season and see what we've got.

Finish comfortable second and it's progress from last season. Throw in the Celtic win, the European run and him turning Alfie into a £20m player and that's enough credit in the bank for me. No one is denying the cup disappointments but I'm not going to chuck my toys out the pram over them.

He must be given the chance to learn from his mistakes and rectify them next season. Anyone who says he hasn't earned that at the bare minimum then I don't know what to say to them.

I fully believe he knows what kind of player it takes to succeed at Ibrox, even more so than Mark Allen IMO. We'll see a lot more ruthless bastards in the team next season and a lot less mentally fragile ones.

Gerrard took over an absolute mess of a football team. People need to remember that.
But how does he get through to summer, with what he has, up against those fixtures mate?

You and I both know it can start to snowball very, very quickly if the results aren't coming and for what it's worth I agree with you.

By god, we could really be doing with St Mirren, Hamilton and Dundee in the next few games.

Gerrard took over an absolute mess of a football team less than 12 months ago. People need to remember that.

The summer will tell us a lot about how next season is going to pan out.

Got to hit the ground running, we've European qualifiers early doors. A bad start and he's under immense pressure.

I'd prefer it if Mark Allen and the DoF role was removed allowing Gerrard and his team to do it their way. Grezda, Jones, Barišić, Lafferty et al, they aren't Gerrard signings.

Then the manager has to look at himself and start learning from his mistakes, becoming more tactically aware, positive, getting decisions correct along with improving results.

But how does he get through to summer, with what he has, up against those fixtures mate?

You and I both know it can start to snowball very, very quickly if the results aren't coming and for what it's worth I agree with you.

By god, we could really be doing with St Mirren, Hamilton and Dundee in the next few games.

For what it's worth I don't see him losing that many of the remaining fixtures. 2 at most (famous last words and that)

I think we'll beat Kilmarnock Saturday and suprise a few people at the Piggery.

The Tims don't have that fear factor about them anymore.

2 old firm wins and we win the league.

I shouldn’t dream, but I am.....

Beating them in the two remaining Old Firm games still won't guarantee we'll win the league. Knowing us we could take 6 points from our next two games coming up then draw or lose in the following game at Fir Park, while the filth scud whoever they've got that weekend.

It's that inconsistency that's put us in this position unfortunately.

24 out of 27 points and show that he actually has a plan B.

We’ve won 6 games out of 18 in all competitions against the current top 6. Outside of Motherwell those are the only teams we will be playing between now and the end of the season.

24 points from 27 just isn’t going to happen. I’d be surprised if we got 20.

Best we can hope for imo is to do enough to keep Aberdeen and Killie a safe distance away, finish strong in second and hopefully another victory over Them.

Beating them in the two remaining Old Firm games still won't guarantee we'll win the league. Knowing us we could take 6 points from our next two games coming up then draw or lose in the following game at Fir Park, while the filth scud whoever they've got that weekend.

It's that inconsistency that's put us in this position unfortunately.

I know that, however 2 old firm wins, as ridiculous as that might be right now, really puts the cat amongst the pigeons.

This Celtic team haven’t been under any sort of pressure in the league for 8 years.

I’m dreaming.....

After that showing on Tuesday, the best I can hope for is the filth don't clinch the title against us again. That's the nightmare scenario and given our consistency this season in fc_cking up, that's my main worry.

Quite simply our overall performances since the restart after the break, culminating with Tuesday's efforts leave me with nothing, absolutely nothing left by way of confidence in this squad.

We’ve won 6 games out of 18 in all competitions against the current top 6. Outside of Motherwell those are the only teams we will be playing between now and the end of the season.

24 points from 27 just isn’t going to happen. I’d be surprised if we got 20.

Best we can hope for imo is to do enough to keep Aberdeen and Killie a safe distance away, finish strong in second and hopefully another victory over Them.
We have been playing the same tactics in every game the sooner the manager realises this and changes it up we might actually play better in a different formation.

He has my goodwill regardless. This was always going to be a rebuild and not an overnight fix. He's had 9 months and a couple of transfer windows to turn around what was an utter shambles when he took over. Next year, he'll have a season of experience in this league under his belt, have the nucleus of a good squad, which will also have that experience and another transfer window with hopefully some decent funds to bolster the squad with quality. I just can't get my head round how anyone could even contemplate for a second, binning that and starting again.

He must take a minimum of 4 points from the scum. Prove we can match then consistantly and that the December game was not merely the result of them having a stinker.
Do that and he gets another season.
Loss both and I think its time to think again.

Beating them at the Piggery for the first time in nearly 9 years would get a lot of the pressure off his shoulders.

We've taken 67% of available points this season, hard to see us bettering that, so I suspect 18 more points this season. Beating the Tim's would be a bonus

Good post.

If he takes 20 out of those 27 I think it brings a lot of hope back.

We also need to see evidence of the manager influencing games and changing things. We’ve been tactically one dimensional and it’s a major criticism directed at Gerrard.

We also need to see more team spirit and fight.

If all that happens I’ll feel a lot better.

But I’m not hugely optimistic it will.

He must take a minimum of 4 points from the scum. Prove we can match then consistantly and that the December game was not merely the result of them having a stinker.
Do that and he gets another season.
Loss both and I think its time to think again.

A tough audience uh? 4 points does not constitute matching Celtic - 3 points does that.

After that showing on Tuesday, the best I can hope for is the filth don't clinch the title against us again. That's the nightmare scenario and given our consistency this season in fc_cking up, that's my main worry.

Quite simply our overall performances since the restart after the break, culminating with Tuesday's efforts leave me with nothing, absolutely nothing left by way of confidence in this squad.
The cup exits have been unnaceptable, especially the other night which was a disgraceful result.

However there's a bit of myth attached to this form since the break line. Saturday is our 30th league game of the season.

First 10 - 18 points from 30
Second 10 - 21 points from 30.
Third 10 - 23 points from 30 (if we win on Saturday).

This is actually our most consistent league run of the season. The difference is the bheggars have pulled away because they have taken 28/30.

Realistically with our inconsistency 18-20 points but without deluding myself too much :oops:lets remember we are the filth drawing 1 match to having the league in our own hands. If ever in our history did we fans need/deserve 9 wins it's now

My criteria are not based on points or beating them, that would only paper over the cracks. I want Gerrard to demonstrate that he is willing to do what's necessary to restore a winning mentality, he has to stop doing the same thing and expecting a different result. This means 'resting' a few of his 'go to' guys, making subs when it's not happening, countering other teams strengths or, at least, not playing to them and, to an extent, starting again.
He's given this lot far too much respect and they've regularly let him down. He now has to lay the ground for next season without giving up on the rest of this one. He has to bruise some over-inflated egos without losing the dressing room. It's a bit of a job.

Last edited:
Losing at Parkhead's gonna be too much for you to take?

I’m not talking about myself.

I’m saying it won’t go down well. It’ll be another defeat there after god knows how many. Having nothing to play for and trudging away from the piggery with no points again will grate with many.

Personally if we win at Ibrox and narrowly lose over there I wouldn’t complain.

I'd prefer it if Mark Allen and the DoF role was removed allowing Gerrard and his team to do it their way. Grezda, Jones, Barišić, Lafferty et al, they aren't Gerrard signings. ....

You’ve thrown that in there as if it were fact. On what basis? Guesswork? Rumour? Fantasy? Evidence?

The cup exits have been unnaceptable, especially the other night which was a disgraceful result.

However there's a bit of myth attached to this form since the break line. Saturday is our 30th league game of the season.

This is actually our most consistent league run of the season. The difference is the bheggars have pulled away because they have taken 28/30.

This is another example of people not commenting on the reality of the season (not your response which clarifies matters but the post you're responding to).

There's 'myths' throughout this season.

Good research and highlights that things were closer up to New Year because of Septic inconsistency

You’ve thrown that in there as if it were fact. On what basis? Guesswork? Rumour? Fantasy? Evidence?

Mark Allen talked about knowing the Croatian league. I doubt it was a league Gerrard scowered as an under 18's coach.

We signed three from there; Katić, Grezda and Barišić. Grezda never featured against us, I bet Gerrard had never seen him play in the flesh/live.

There was talk of McGregor and Arfield before Gerrard was appointed.

We were linked with Jones in numerous transfer windows before Gerrard was even a rumour.

I'm not having Lafferty as a Gerrard player. He's barely featured when fit and available.

Kamara was linked in the 2018 January transfer window.

Who was signing players when we had a caretaker manager in charge?

Being brutally honest I think the rest of the season will be a slog now.

Nothing much left to play for, loan players maybe downing tools thinking about next season, teams sitting in trying to frustrate us.

Before Tuesday our win record since December was slightly above 50% I honestly can't see that improving all that much now.

All this we are only 1 point better off than last season. Doesnt show that we havent improved.

The way the games are being played shows the improvement under gerrard, teams respect us now and sit in and try steal a point.

Granted we still need to suss out how to break these teams down.

But in seasons gone by, aberdeen hearts hibs etc.. have opened up and played us, and beat us sometime comfortably, if these teams done that this season we would be taking 3 or 4 off them.

We have our respect back and teams come up against us desperate for a point!

Regardless of the rest of season we are heading in the right direction under gerrard in my opinion.

This is another example of people not commenting on the reality of the season (not your response which clarifies matters but the post you're responding to).

There's 'myths' throughout this season.
I agree.

If you want to point to a period of the League season that has cost us it was the opening 10 games.

The late equalisers conceded at Aberdeen and Motherwell.
The no-show first half at Parkhead.
Woeful defeat at Livingston.
Draw at home to Kilmarnock.

Of course, during this time we also had the Europa League run and Celtic are dropping points as well, so all seems a bit better.

24 out of 27 points and show that he actually has a plan B.

Be surprised if we took more than 15 points from our remaining 9 games.

My reasoning is that we have not won more than 4 games in a row this season and than was when we were playin sides lower down the league.

Have taken a step back and thought about it. Finish second, better points total than last year and already had a decent Euro run. Never happy to finish second but realise we've put together a team without massive spend, and a team full of players who haven't won much but prob have been challenged to prove themselves. Not a huge success but reckon if most people took a breath, would imagine they'd see improvement from last couple of seasons.

Considering we haven't really put a run of 3 or more wins together on the trot since Smith was in charge, yet again everyone on here is setting Gerrard up for a fall! The 9 games remaining are ALL tricky, there are no guaranteed points there (although id be heartbroken were to lose to Motherwell!). If we are being realistic 18-21 points would be pretty good going and well above our average the last 10 years. It would guarantee us second and comfortably which is all most of us realistically expected this year. And it gives Gerrard something to build on next year. We have only beat the scum once in 8 years, we have only beat Aberdeen once this season, and struggle against Kilmarnock and Hibs. Lets not set ourselves up to be disappointed again.

Back