Remember how far we have come

Chastu

Thats all I see in response to our poor performances in Europe and domestically, its a losers mentality, if thats the crutch we cling to we will always accept as supporters mediocrity, why? because we almost went out of business, bullshit, we are better than that.
While we should learn from our history so we dont repeat it, to quote Mr Churchill, we cannot use it as an excuse for accepting less than we are capable of.

I actually agree with you mate. Folk won't like it, but there's only so many years you can spend trotting out the comparisons with where we were last year ad nauseum.

We're probably a bit better off than we were last year overall, but in terms of overall recovery we're simply not as far on as we should be and would be were it not for a number of mistakes and failings in the last couple of seasons.

That's not me slaughtering the board or anything, but I'm a bit past the point of using the events of 2012 as some kind of whitewash, readily-available and pre-packaged answer to any kind of under-achievement or failings in the current team.

We're not playing to a consistent standard reflective of the money and time that's been spent getting us here since our lowest ebb.

We need to get better and we'll only do it by being our own harshest critics and getting back to expecting the standards Rangers truly demands. We're the biggest club in this country, the most successful in the world. The post-spiv hangover period is past and we need to deliver on the investment of the board and support and get back to dominating our opponents.

What's your opinion on what our current squad is capable of in Europe?
we should be in the draw for the last 32 without a doubt, we done remarkably well to get to the last game with our fate in our own hands and blew it, although we didnt help our cause by not beating Spartak at home, we had ample opportunities to do so

I actually agree with you mate. Folk won't like it, but there's only so many years you can spend trotting out the comparisons with where we were last year ad nauseum.

We're probably a bit better off than we were last year overall, but in terms of overall recovery we're simply not as far on as we should be and would be were it not for a number of mistakes and failings in the last couple of seasons.

That's not me slaughtering the board or anything, but I'm a bit past the point of using the events of 2012 as some kind of whitewash, readily-available and pre-packaged answer to any kind of under-achievement or failings in the current team.

We're not playing to a consistent standard reflective of the money and time that's been spent getting us here since our lowest ebb.

We need to get better and we'll only do it by being our own harshest critics and getting back to expecting the standards Rangers truly demands. We're the biggest club in this country, the most successful in the world. The post-spiv hangover period is past and we need to deliver on the investment of the board and support and get back to dominating our opponents.

Forget 2012.

Six months ago we were losing 5 goals at Easter Road and finishing 3rd behind the Sheep.

Today we're second,a game in hand over the 3rd place team and just finished a 14 game run in Europe where we almost qualified for the knockout stages. We're absolutely in the title race as well.

In terms of not being as far on as you'd hope, I agree with that in terms of what's happened since promotion but that's not on Steven Gerrard. The last two years were handled so cack handedly that Gerrard was virtually forced to cobble together a complete new squad given the previous two managers appalling transfer policy.

we should be in the draw for the last 32 without a doubt, we done remarkably well to get to the last game with our fate in our own hands and blew it, although we didnt help our cause by not beating Spartak at home, we had ample opportunities to do so

In that case, it's encouraging that people think we've got a last 32-worthy squad. Imagine what we'll be capable of in another couple of transfer windows (if they go well).

Lets see were we are come may... then ill decide how far we have came or have we just stalled or fallen.. europes a wee bonus but our bread n butter is the league
Points wise are we better off than we were this time last year i dont know

Forget 2012.

Six months ago we were losing 5 goals at Easter Road and finishing 3rd behind the Sheep.

Today we're second, a game in hand over the 3rd place team and just finished a 14 game run in Europe where we almost qualified for the knockout stages.

In terms of not being as far on as you'd hope, I agree with that in terms of what's happened since promotion but that's not on Steven Gerrard. The last two years were handled so cack handedly that Gerrard was virtually forced to cobble together a complete new squad given the previous two managers appalling transfer policy.

All of what you posted backs up my view. I still think this squad is under-performing, domestically in particular this season, and comparing to another even more under-achieving bunch from last season doesn't make me feel better about it.

I can take the EL as a sign of progress (that's the only bit I feel we've shown real progress in to be honest, because domestically we remain as unconvincing and inconsistent as we were last year) but the bigger picture for me is still disappointment that, given how the group went, we didn't go through - because I think it was well achievable. Nothing about last season makes a jot of difference to that.

Thats all I see in response to our poor performances in Europe and domestically, its a losers mentality, if thats the crutch we cling to we will always accept as supporters mediocrity, why? because we almost went out of business, bullshit, we are better than that.
While we should learn from our history so we dont repeat it, to quote Mr Churchill, we cannot use it as an excuse for accepting less than we are capable of.

We have come a long way though. You can't just dismiss it when it's a perfectly valid and important thing to point out. Not one Rangers fan could've truthfully said back in July that they expected us to be in the group stages.

It took Juventus 5 seasons to win Serie A after getting promoted from Serie B and they kept quite a lot of their senior players, but our fans expect us to return and dominate straight away. It's not about a lowering of standards, it's called realism.

The amount of our fans who are wired to the moon with no grasp of football or reality is astounding.

Forget 2012.

Today we're second,ia game in hand over the 3rd place team and just finished a 14 game run in Europe where we almost qualified for the knockout stages. We're absolutely in the title race as well.

no one is disputing we have made progress but lets not use the ongoing excuse of past misfortune to mask where we are now

It took Juventus 5 seasons to win Serie A after getting promoted from Serie B and they kept quite a lot of their senior players, but our fans expect us to return and dominate straight away. It's not about a lowering of standards, it's called realism.

The amount of our fans who are wired to the moon with no grasp of football or reality is astounding.

No they don't.

We have come a long way though. You can't just dismiss it when it's a perfectly valid and important thing to point out. Not one Rangers fan could've truthfully said back in July that they expected us to be in the group stages.
you just made my point expectations v reality, and the reality is we should be in the last 32 we had it in our grasp and let it slip

Forget 2012.

Today we're second,a game in hand over the 3rd place team and just finished a 14 game run in Europe where we almost qualified for the knockout stages. We're absolutely in the title race as well.

Best post I’ve read on here over the last week or so, absolutely spot on mate and I agree with every word.

In that case, it's encouraging that people think we've got a last 32-worthy squad. Imagine what we'll be capable of in another couple of transfer windows (if they go well).
i agree 100% if we get it right, see no reason why not, lets look to the future not the past

looking backwards not forwards, thats the point of my post

You call it looking backwards, I call it putting it in context.

There hasn't been a single season watching Rangers in my lifetime where we haven't suffered setbacks and blips.

Given the base from which he started, it's a fúcking miracle Gerrard got us to this stage in Europe.

We're nowhere near the finished article. We'll suffer even more setbacks but I'm utterly convinced by the time Steven Gerrard leaves us we'll be in a far stronger position than when he arrived.

Lets see were we are come may... then ill decide how far we have came or have we just stalled or fallen.. europes a wee bonus but our bread n butter is the league
Points wise are we better off than we were this time last year i dont know

believe we are 1 pt better off than last season, I think they are about -10
I think December will be a tough month and we will see where we are at the end of it.
The closing of the 2nd transfer window will give us an idea of how much money has been made available and who we have brought in,
December and January are two big months on and off the park
one last point, they will buy in January as well

What's all the moaning about then?

Nobody wants to get beat. Nobody is lowering standards. I just see realism from level headed fans.

Nobody expects us to waltz up first season and dominate - we all knew it would take a few years - so nobody expected it "straight away".

The questions being asked are because we are still toiling regularly against far poorer resourced opponents, despite several years of outspending them and having multiple windows and managers to get our shit together.

As a club, this is not just specifically about this squad, this manager or anyone specific, we should be further on than we are.

Our domestic form makes poor reading when you look at points dropped against vastly inferior clubs (not on odd occasions, we've now failed to beat Aberdeen in three attempts for example).

We have better resources than these opponents who also spend their summers regularly trying to cobble together squads from scraps.

At some point we have to move on from "aye, but if Pedro hadn't signed x, y, z".

Sometimes it's more about just admitting that the players we brought in, who we thought were going to do the business haven't been good enough.

It's not saying it's a write-off and we're doomed, but it's also not saying it's fine because of 6 months ago. We need to get better and we need to demand better. There is no other way to be the best and certainly not if we keep excusing inadequacies.

i agree we have progressed but we should and could be doing better, he fact of getting to the group stages proves it

I think we've improved, based on Europe this season and we have a real leader at the helm. But can't help feel real disappointment in recent performances. Dire display in the cup, and losing ground at the top feels like its all unravelling a bit.
Clear lack of quality in the middle of the park.
I'm more frustrated at the standard of play in certain games, can't pass the ball, passing it out the park, playing safe sidewards and backwards passes far too often, not shooting from outside the area etc etc.

I know its unreasonable to think we'd be the finished article after 1 transfer window under Gerrard but I'd expect with the amount of cash spent in the summer we might be able to take care of the basics a bit better than we have done recently.

That being said, if results go our way we could be back top of the table come Sunday evening.

We need to keep hang in there until January and hopefully add a couple of quality attackers to push us on.

So we're exactly where we expected to be. "Come a long way" would be in the group stages, see?

We are making improvements constantly.

Continue improving and we get there.

Rule us out of nothing, the sky is still our limit.
Thats the spirit, just need to put that enthusiasm into action, this Jam=n transfer window is going to be paramount to how we finish off this season

Nobody expects us to waltz up first season and dominate - we all knew it would take a few years - so nobody expected it "straight away".

The questions being asked are because we are still toiling regularly against far poorer resourced opponents, despite several years of outspending them and having multiple windows and managers to get our shit together.

As a club, this is not just specifically about this squad, this manager or anyone specific, we should be further on than we are.

Our domestic form makes poor reading when you look at points dropped against vastly inferior clubs (not on odd occasions, we've now failed to beat Aberdeen in three attempts for example).

We have better resources than these opponents who also spend their summers regularly trying to cobble together squads from scraps.

At some point we have to move on from "aye, but if Pedro hadn't signed x, y, z".

Sometimes it's more about just admitting that the players we brought in, who we thought were going to do the business haven't been good enough.

It's not saying it's a write-off and we're doomed, but it's also not saying it's fine because of 6 months ago. We need to get better and we need to demand better. There is no other way to be the best and certainly not if we keep excusing inadequacies.

We'll always drop points to inferior teams. We've been doing it since I've been born and we'll still be doing it when I die.

Killie came to Ibrox and turned us over when we were going for 10IAR for christ sake.

We'll finish 2nd comfortably this season. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

Forget 2012.

down with this sense..great post mate

I might suggest that conversely, a bit of perspective and support in troubled times is exactly what the club needs to come through the other side and break that barrier.

I'm afraid "It's not good enough" is not good enough.

Thats the spirit, just need to put that enthusiasm into action, this Jam=n transfer window is going to be paramount to how we finish off this season

I believe the players we have will win us our games in December and we will be bolstered while in a position of strength.

We need to be more aggressive in the final third, create more and get back to scoring ways until then.

Sort that, we will be top for the new year.

believe we are 1 pt better off than last season, I think they are about -10
I think December will be a tough month and we will see where we are at the end of it.
The closing of the 2nd transfer window will give us an idea of how much money has been made available and who we have brought in,
December and January are two big months on and off the park
one last point, they will buy in January as well

To be one point better off is an incredible achievement given the amount of football we've played in Europe this season.

We'll always drop points to inferior teams. We've been doing it since I've been born and we'll still be doing it when I die.

Killie came to Ibrox and turned us over when we were going for 10IAR for christ sake.

We'll finish 2nd comfortably this season. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

Mate - I specifically said "not on odd occasions". It's disingenuous to suggest us dropping points the way we currently are is comparable to the odd freak fck up during 10IAR. You know that.

I admire your optimism and I hope it comes good, but I think that will be dependent on January and making improvements highlighted by the recognition that what we have isn't good enough and demand better. Not resting on laurels or saying we've done well considering.

Back