Remember it would take us £70 million to just catch up to them?

Can't be that far off over the 10 years to be fair factoring in transfer fees and wages.

That was his point and it is what we did.
Before Sunday, I felt this Rangers team needed tens of millions thrown at it to have a chance of competing against Celtic. After seeing the performance, it could be £100m.

If you brought in ten players on 15 to 20 grand a week for the next three years, including transfer fees, that could gobble up £70m. But that's the kind of investment that's now needed.

The job Gerrard and the recruitment team has been truly phenomenal. From the team he inherited only 3 players remain (Jack, Morelos and Tav). So in just 2 and a bit years he has had to complete overhaul our playing squad and coaching staff. He has spent around around 31.5-33 million on the squad (and a million of that was on Murphy who was already signed). To spend less than Celtic have since Lennon returned, who only had to fill gaps. Shows how amazing our (and how poor their) recruitment has been. We've shot past them despite spending less and having no real base to build on. We've had only one decent money failure in Grezda, they make atleast 3/4 a season. Yes we've had a couple of poor signings but outside of Grezda none of them have really cost us any money. That is going to happen when you have to rebuild an entire squad in a few windows, on a small budget but our hit to miss ratio is outstanding.

I can't emphasize this enough we have just 3 players left in our squad from a little over 2 years ago. It's cost us just 33 million to build a squad worth north of 100 million. Truly outstanding!

Last edited:
If you add up how much our board and other investors have put in we won't be far away from that.
Huge thank you to them all
Well Tavernier aside Warburton and his £200,000 and free transfer dream team clearly didn't cut it and neither did Pedro's Mexican and Portuguese guys that took around £10 million in fees to scrape together. When you see what we got from Warburton and his £2 million on Garner it's no surprise they didn't want to back him more and likewise Pedro and the Mexicans. Factor in wages for all of them over the years and the huge increases in wages that some have merited it's probably quite close.

The job Gerrard and the recruitment team has been truly phenomenal. From the team he inherited only 3 players remain (Jack, Morelos and Tav). So in just 2 and a bit years he has had to complete overhaul our playing squad and coaching staff. He has spent around around 31.5-33 million on the squad (and a million of that was on Murphy who was already signed). To spend less than Celtic have since Lennon returned, who only had to fill gaps. Shows how amazing (and how poor their) our recruitment has been. We've shot past them despite spending less and having no real base to build on. We've had only one decent money failure in Grezda, they make atleast 3/4 a season. Yes we've had a couple of poor signings but outside of Grezda none of them have really cost us any money. That is going to happen when you have to rebuild an entire squad in a few windows, on a small budget but our hit to miss ratio is outstanding.

I can't emphasize this enough we have just 3 players left from a squad from a little over 2 years ago. It's cost us just 33 million to build a squad worth north of 100 million. Truly outstanding!
Exactly. I get annoyed all the time on here at trying to contextualise where we've been and how quickly we've been getting better. Thankfully it's now evident in the league and Europe for the hard of thinking.

Last edited:
The job Gerrard and the recruitment team has been truly phenomenal. From the team he inherited only 3 players remain (Jack, Morelos and Tav). So in just 2 and a bit years he has had to complete overhaul our playing squad and coaching staff. He has spent around around 31.5-33 million on the squad (and a million of that was on Murphy who was already signed). To spend less than Celtic have since Lennon returned, who only had to fill gaps. Shows how amazing (and how poor their) our recruitment has been. We've shot past them despite spending less and having no real base to build on. We've had only one decent money failure in Grezda, they make atleast 3/4 a season. Yes we've had a couple of poor signings but outside of Grezda none of them have really cost us any money. That is going to happen when you have to rebuild an entire squad in a few windows, on a small budget but our hit to miss ratio is outstanding.
I can't emphasize this enough we have just 3 players left from a squad from a little over 2 years ago. It's cost us just 33 million to build a squad worth north of 100 million. Truly outstanding!

Great post Sir Alfredo.

Absolutely, the ability to spot a player who can be improved, and build a team with, through good coaching has been most impressive. I am optimistic about the future for the first time in years.

If you add up how much our board and other investors have put in we won't be far away from that.
Huge thank you to them all

Yes, those people deserve legendary status as much as our players if we deliver 55. I really hope they get their lap of honour in front of us fans so we can show our appreciation & respect.

But I don’t think the quoted numbers would have included salaries at that time. Additionally as we have invested, SO HAVE THEY similarly, so they really should have been the same distance ahead of us if both clubs managed themselves & their resources similarly.

Our board, and Steven Gerrard’s management team, have been absolutely phenomenal.

At the start of our issues, I had one of theirs fans say to me that we would never win the league again, by the time we climbed the leagues, they would have hundreds of millions in the bank, and that would ensure we couldn't compete. No reasoning with them. They show no understanding of how teams and squads change.

Their attitude is one that is stuck in the past. They live in the past, as a support and as a club.

Once again way to early for mocking and pulling out past statements, let's keep it till the right moment. We haven't won anything as yet. I find just a smile with no actual comments is enough to send them doolally ;)

Well that is a good point. What it should say is Rangers needs to spend x amount and spend it well. Having a jake in charge who doesn't review analytical reports can't help matters.

Yes it really shows the relative performance Papac.

One good thing about Rodgers was his ability to develop players. Wee Lurgan has taken players such as McGregor back the way.

Meanwhile, Aribo, Kamara, Bassey, Kent, Morelos, and even experienced players like Tav & Goldson have improved significantly.

Our recruitment has in the main been excellent, whereas theirs has been dreadful. We've had far less to play with and far less room for error.

At the start of our issues, I had one of theirs fans say to me that we would never win the league again, by the time we climbed the leagues, they would have hundreds of millions in the bank, and that would ensure we couldn't compete. No reasoning with them. They show no understanding of how teams and squads change.

Their attitude is one that is stuck in the past. They live in the past, as a support and as a club.
Tbh, he wasn’t far off.

Celtic should be out of sight just now. It should t even be a discussion.
However they were far to busy screaming Sevco and Admin 2, living off scudding dreadful Rangers side to see the regression in their own side.

Now we’re equal, in fact slightly better off and they are panicking big time. It really wasn’t supposed to be this way....

Recruitment has been the key. Our midfield that bosses them at Parkhead cost £50k. 1 weeks wages for Shane Duffy.

I prefer the comments every year, "Rangers are 5 years behind celtic".

Sorry, but it doesn't work like that timmy.

The job isn't over with 23 games still to be played. Let's not get carried away as until we've won the league, then we haven't caught up.

Some of them still believe they have the better players and better squad.

About a week or two ago, Gordon Parks claimed only 2-3 of our players would get in their SQUAD.

That was the opinion of a bigot DT17.

There are very few of them Gerrard would take now I’d suggest.

Great find mate - delicious reading now, especially the comments about us kissing goodbye to such amazing talent as Bates, Wilson and McKay. If you ever want to see how thick a pundit can be, read this garbage. What Kris missed - instead of buying a 15m player you get one for 50, or 200 grand and coach him. Will be printing and saving this one - more please!

I thought Keevins said 70m.

Might be wrong.
Your not wrong keevins went a bit further this rangers are 100 million behind and ceptic could win 16-17 in a row.
Think this was when he loved telling us when asked about his score predictions when we played them. It will be whatever ceptic want it to be.
Not so confident now shug ... we are gonna take your fabled 10 and when you visit Ibrox it's gonna be what rangers want ...

Your not wrong keevins went a bit further this Rangers are 100 million behind and ceptic could win 16-17 in a row.
Think this was when he loved telling us when asked about his score predictions when we played them. It will be whatever ceptic want it to be.
Not so confident now shug ... we are gonna take your fabled 10 and when you visit Ibrox it's gonna be what Rangers want ...

Im trying to keep calm Feegie but I can’t wait to get them at Ibrox.

I really feel we can get a few goals.

I’m sure Sutton did a ’it’ll be 16 in a row’ column for the Record, in fact he churned this pish out on a weekly basis. Ditto Provan and Fartson.

This is another discussion that’s best left until next year in my opinion. I’m feeling good about things right now, it’s impossible not to, but this is a thread that cropped up in the first half of last season too and before you knew it we were already out of the title race by late January/early Feb and out of everything by March.

I don’t think that’s going to happen this time, but it’s still a discussion that’s happening prematurely for me.

It's pretty clear that he never meant we'd need to spend £100m over x number of years on fees and wages.

Just another clown who thinks playing for the filth automatically values a player at £20m.

Lets hope we finally do. At least 4-0. We should have absolutely smashed them at the chamber in the first game but seemed to settle at 2-0 and just stay in control.

revenge is a must.

That could be the day we really put a bloody big nail in their coffin if we win every game up to that day MM.

Could be a great night on Follow Follow LOL

Your not wrong keevins went a bit further this Rangers are 100 million behind and ceptic could win 16-17 in a row.
Not so confident now shug ... we are gonna take your fabled 10 and when you visit Ibrox it's gonna be what Rangers want ...
Was Probably just projecting a number of titles based upon Clancy Callum Beaton’s refereeing careers

My answer to this one over the years has been consistent: the Tim team that stopped our legitimate 10iar attempt was nowhere near the value of ours that year on paper.

But football isn’t alike that, transfer values guarantee nothing.

If you want to take that a step further, their team that year wasn’t even as good as some of the teams they did have during our 9iar years.

The job Gerrard and the recruitment team has been truly phenomenal. From the team he inherited only 3 players remain (Jack, Morelos and Tav). So in just 2 and a bit years he has had to complete overhaul our playing squad and coaching staff. He has spent around around 31.5-33 million on the squad (and a million of that was on Murphy who was already signed). To spend less than Celtic have since Lennon returned, who only had to fill gaps. Shows how amazing our (and how poor their) recruitment has been. We've shot past them despite spending less and having no real base to build on. We've had only one decent money failure in Grezda, they make atleast 3/4 a season. Yes we've had a couple of poor signings but outside of Grezda none of them have really cost us any money. That is going to happen when you have to rebuild an entire squad in a few windows, on a small budget but our hit to miss ratio is outstanding.

I can't emphasize this enough we have just 3 players left in our squad from a little over 2 years ago. It's cost us just 33 million to build a squad worth north of 100 million. Truly outstanding!

Genuine professionals in every area of the business. Spivs out and we seem to be quietly getting on with it very nicely indeed.

We were never that far behind.

This was the line up for Gerrard’s first win against celtic. Only 3 were his signings.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Worrall Halliday
Jack McCrorie Arfield
Candeias Morelos Kent

McGregor and Arfield had already signed in principle before Gerrard arrived. So the only 3 players he brought in were Goldson £3million, and Worrall and Kent both on loan.

Of the players he inherited the only players we paid a fee for were Tav £200k, Candeias £1million, Morelos £1.5million.

Haven’t they spent more than us over the last 3 years ?

The differential should still be the same if so ?
They've spent around 46m in the last 3 years. Of that you can probably say Edouard and julien have been some sort of success. That's about 28-30m on players that either have been terrible or have been inefective so far. That's just for fees, factor in wages too and you can see their signing policy has been shocking.

If anyone tries to say they've not had money to spend on their squad then they are telling fibs.

We've had very few under Gerrard that were flops - Grezda being the worst.

Read one of their comments on twitter. Caught an eye and he actually speaks sense.

He stated:

"Celtic haven't gone backwards much at all. Performances and heads have dropped but celtic have reached their maximum level. Now rangers more a less have. Celtic wasn't gonna go out their and sign a top Premier, la liga player. Money just aint in Scotland. Theirs only a certain level what each team in Scotland can possibly get to.Rangers attract the same calibre players as celtic. So it was only a matter of time before the competition would start again.".

Back