Remember it would take us £70 million to just catch up to them?

They've spent around 46m in the last 3 years. Of that you can probably say Edouard and julien have been some sort of success. That's about 28-30m on players that either have been terrible or have been inefective so far. That's just for fees, factor in wages too and you can see their signing policy has been shocking.

If anyone tries to say they've not had money to spend on their squad then they are telling fibs.

We've had very few under Gerrard that were flops - Grezda being the worst.

Absolutely agree. Our strike rate has been phenomenal to be honest.

But that means that they’ve spent less than them so our 70-100m behind them should still be the case.

Brilliant.

They have spent about 30m between last January and the summer meant to be.

Makes the SMSM sound like a bunch of clowns or maybe haters Trigga. Probably both mate.

They were 70-100m ahead of us, have spent more since those comments, and we’re at least up beside them already, and that’s a cautious statement.

Those sort of thrown away, headline chasing comments are mental. It was never going to take £70m. There is a lot more to football than just going out throwing cash about. If it was that simple then we could just play it on paper.

We are closer now than we have been in the past 8-9 years, no doubt about it, but we've not bridged the gap fully until we win this league. & despite all the drama on the other side right now, & all the positivity from our side, we've won nothing & there is a long, long way to go. We need to keep our foot on their throat.

30m of the 46m that they spent has been wasted. If we'd spent as badly then we'd have been slaughtered in the press. They had the opportunity to push well ahead if us and been out of sight but they were too focused on looking at us that the deficiencies in their team that others could see.

They've spent millions on guys that can't even get in the matchday squad, let alone the first team. They've spent about 6m on two left backs but play a guy on loan. They've spent money on central midfielders that never play - genuinely thought Soro was a nickname for someone. They've bought strikers that are behind an unfit Thumbhead in the pecking order - 3.5m for the Polish lad... could have got Roofe for that.

If we do win the league and make the CL groups and they fail to make the groups then the house of cards that King spoke of will come crashing down. The 30m we'd gain would cover out finances and would boost our standing and player values considerably.

hahahahahahah that was a good one wasn't it.
Thing is if they reinvested their money wisely we’d probably would have needed around that kind of money to catch them but the fact they’ve blew their money on shite and basically sold the best of their crop of players we’ve been able to catch them up quicker and better . So I’d say it’s a good thing we were push for a couple of years because if we hadn’t been I coulda seen Celtic buying a better caliber of player to what they have now

The response to that is, if your recruitment is good you can spend a fraction of that amount and end up with a squad whose market value is approx £170m. It ain't what you got but how you use it.

Its the next £70million we spend that will bury them! Where has all the money gone from the profitable years? That would be my question to their board.

IMO we are behind them until the League flag flies over Ibrox again. Now is not the time for bragging we have won nothing.
Couldn't agree more.

The current feel good factor is hugely enjoyable and very encouraging for the future. However, that's all it is at present, a feeling. It's been said often, but we had a great start to the season (home and abroad) last year and look how that changed.

So many things are different his year, our actual performances are better, squad depth and understanding of the system we play is better and added to that, They are currently in a mess.

There are many factors to be massively excited about, but it's still only November and it's almost certain They will win their 12th trophy in a row in a few weeks' time. So yes, we're most definitely still behind right now.

The current feeling is superb and beyond where I thought we'd be if I'm being totally honest, but at the same time it gives me the fear bigtime. I'll keep my celebrations and gloating for a time when we have something tangible to show for it.

The job Gerrard and the recruitment team has been truly phenomenal. From the team he inherited only 3 players remain (Jack, Morelos and Tav). So in just 2 and a bit years he has had to complete overhaul our playing squad and coaching staff. He has spent around around 31.5-33 million on the squad (and a million of that was on Murphy who was already signed). To spend less than Celtic have since Lennon returned, who only had to fill gaps. Shows how amazing our (and how poor their) recruitment has been. We've shot past them despite spending less and having no real base to build on. We've had only one decent money failure in Grezda, they make atleast 3/4 a season. Yes we've had a couple of poor signings but outside of Grezda none of them have really cost us any money. That is going to happen when you have to rebuild an entire squad in a few windows, on a small budget but our hit to miss ratio is outstanding.

I can't emphasize this enough we have just 3 players left in our squad from a little over 2 years ago. It's cost us just 33 million to build a squad worth north of 100 million. Truly outstanding!

Right on man. You've said it all

Forrest Gump loyal :D

Brilliant post, and bang on !!!!

Its the next £70million we spend that will bury them! Where has all the money gone from the profitable years? That would be my question to their board.

I think the problem both us and them have is trying to attract players to the embarrassment that is the Scottish League.

Very rarely are you going to attract top quality players without paying wages that can’t be sustained by the money generated by our league.

They got Dembele on the cheap but had to pay him a fortune in wages, they had to sell him for at least £16milion to break even.

Money doesn’t guarantee you anything.

Ranieri had the biggest budget in England with Chelsea, he spent over £120million in one season alone and won nothing the four seasons he was there. Went to Leicester and won the league with one of the smallest budgets.

I think the problem both us and them have is trying to attract players to the embarrassment that is the Scottish League.

Very rarely are you going to attract top quality players without paying wages that can’t be sustained by the money generated by our league.

They got Dembele on the cheap but had to pay him a fortune in wages, they had to sell him for at least £16milion to break even.

Money doesn’t guarantee you anything.

Ranieri had the biggest budget in England with Chelsea, he spent over £120million in one season alone and won nothing the four seasons he was there. Went to Leicester and won the league with one of the smallest budgets.
Where you getting this info, never heard it before? New he was on big wages but at a guess I’d have said £30-40K per week.

Back