Remember this Bears?

Correct,

Yes we are fortunate to have him but too many on here fail to grasp Steven Gerrard is also fortunate to have Rangers!
Ok we can all agree this is a marriage made in heaven but a wee bit of perspective is required. Right here and now Steven Gerrard is a bigger name in world football than Rangers. I was a Rangers fan before he came and will be a Rangers fan when he goes but I’m under no illusions. We could not have wished for a better manager given our circumstances than Steven Gerrard. He has, I agree, found the perfect fit for him in Rangers.

We could have had McInnes for Christ sake.

Last edited:
Ok we can all agree this is a marriage made in heaven but a wee bit of perspective is required. Right here and now Steven Gerrard is a bigger name in world football than Rangers. I was a Rangers fan before he came and will be a Rangers fan when he goes but I’m under no illusions. We could not have wished for a better manager given our circumstances than Steven Gerrard. He has, I agree, found the prefect fit for him in Rangers.

I agree with this. I'd maybe say 'as big as' though. He's a dream come true as we are to him, but if you're a 'Global Football Fan' he is as big as it gets re. recently retired players. He could also probably match some of our investors in terms of worth.

Steven Gerrard is very new to management and he’s got the cajones to take on one of the biggest clubs in the world.

There’s evidence that he’s still got much to learn but when you look at where we were before he came and where we’re at now then he’s clearly done an outstanding job.

His standing as a player is undisputed and the fact that he’s seen as a successor to Klopp tells you all you need to know how he’s regarded as a manager.

Let’s go.

Well said.

The way some folk try to make him bigger than the club is an utter nonsense.
I've got over losing Ally, McCall, Warburton, Murty (twice), Pedro etc a lot quicker than I'll forget qualifying twice for the EL group stages. This is a journey, not a destination, bud.

Last edited:
Was there an interview with Souness around the same time where he says something along the lines of "go for it son you can become a god up there"?

I swear I remember seeing something like that but I looked online and couldn't find the video again.

The way our fans drool over SG is embarrassing.

When he wins the league we can all qué up to kiss him .

1e6

Aye imagine being happy with having a manager who’s given us our pride back, is doing a fantastic job in Europe, got us our first two wins over the mentally challengeds since we have came back up, improved the standards and quality of the playing squad immensely and seems absolutely determined to make sure we get back to where we belong.

Fucking hate needless negative pish like your post.

The most significant thing for me is his bluntness.He talks our language and doesn't flannel.He's a lot to learn as a manager but I think thats about experience not his knowledge of the game.We want and need a winning mentality and I believe he is on the way to that.

Getting to the group stage in the Europa Cup 2 year running from where we sit in the coefficient is an achievement in itself.

It seems we can’t have a positive thread on this forum without someone wanting to piss in the chip pan.

Nobody’s claimed SG is bigger than the club, the bloke himself doesn’t play the big ‘I am’.

He’s a humble bloke working like a Trojan to get us back at the top of Scottish football.

I, amongst many of us, think he’s doing a decent job. He’s brought back a feel-good factor to Rangers and we are optimistic that a breakthrough isn’t far away.

That’ll do me.

It seems we can’t have a positive thread on this forum without someone wanting to piss in the chip pan.

Nobody’s claimed SG is bigger than the club, the bloke himself doesn’t play the big ‘I am’.

He’s a humble bloke working like a Trojan to get us back at the top of Scottish football.

I, amongst many of us, think he’s doing a decent job. He’s brought back a feel-good factor to Rangers and we are optimistic that a breakthrough isn’t far away.

That’ll do me.

Like it or not, a lot of posts insinuate that...........

Ok we can all agree this is a marriage made in heaven but a wee bit of perspective is required. Right here and now Steven Gerrard is a bigger name in world football than Rangers. I was a Rangers fan before he came and will be a Rangers fan when he goes but I’m under no illusions. We could not have wished for a better manager given our circumstances than Steven Gerrard. He has, I agree, found the perfect fit for him in Rangers.

Agree with everything you say with one notable exception.
Steven Gerrard (or any individual for that matter) will never be a bigger name than Rangers. I understand your point, he’s an internationally renowned superstar with a huge draw to millions of fans of a certain age, but players come and go.

Our club is a British institution ingrained in the very fabric of this country. Ibrox is an iconic stadium instantly recognisable the world over and our history is that of longevity and success.

Im like yourself in that I’m grateful Steven Gerrard is here. Sometimes though reading some of the comments on here people seem to overlook the fact Rangers truly are one of the worlds great clubs and that should never be underestimated or taken for granted. We have provided the manager with a fantastic platform to go and achieve success just like we have for countless great players and managers down through the decades.

In my opinion yes we are lucky to have him but he is equally fortunate to be here . For what it’s worth I’m positive the man himself would be the first to agree.

Gerrard was not the obvious choice with no managerial experience but he has surpassed my expectations already. To beat the Tim's head to head in first season and qualifying for back to back Europa leagues is incredible as we lost the Tim's head to head 14-2 the previous season.

I can’t disagree with any of that mate. No individual is bigger than the Rangers but in terms of global recognition Stevie G. Is one of an elite band of modern day footballers who would be recognised instantly on every continent.

Was there an interview with Souness around the same time where he says something along the lines of "go for it son you can become a god up there"?

I swear I remember seeing something like that but I looked online and couldn't find the video again.

Souness is the man, Given is a clown.

Well said.

Weird 'utter nonsense' post. Who said he was? You?

Embarrassing? I'm fucking proud of my drooling mate.

Kiss him? When he wins 55 I'll be lying prostrate outside his house and licking his fucking driveway.

Not sure what the issue is here

Prior to Steven Gerrard

Rangers were an absolute irrelevance

Rangers were a bog standard Scottish team with a few decent players.

Rangers were incapable of generating any revenue from being successful

Rangers were incapable of attracting players of genuine ‘here and now’ quality

Like it or not, Rangers are currently on Steven Gerrards back, being carried, by him, his image, his contacts.

The achievement of 2 successive Europa League qualifications, unseeded and never behind once is a staggering feat.

He didnt deny Celtic their Champions League money last season. Luckily they beat themselves.

We have gained on them in terms of UEFA revenue, unexpected revenue at that. Sadly they got a lucky player sale. Our club has a real platform to kick on and establish a proper longstanding period of relevance once again

Hopefully we force it home this season.

Not sure what the issue is here

Some weirdos just love pissing all over the strawberries of a positive thread nelster mate.

Manic depressives who actually think they register more on the 'staunch'o'meter' than anyone else (or worse). :)

Great post sir. Hard though it may be to admit - what you say is all so very true.

Some weirdos just love pissing all over the strawberries of a positive thread nelster mate.

Manic depressives who actually think they register more on the 'staunch'o'meter' than anyone else (or worse). :)

Great post sir. Hard though it may be to admit - what you say is all so very true.
The irony is the most vocal thinks a song is bigger and more important than the club.

Well said.

If definitely goes overboard at times. But people were always likely to be a bit blinded by his star power, it’s human nature. But if we brought in a great coach who wasn’t a huge name and he achieved more or less the same results, there’s zero chance he’d get the same level of adulation before he’d won a single trophy. In fact he’d probably need a league title at the very least.

I don’t like the way he’s sort of built as being bigger than the club, but the reality is it’s cool having such a big name leading us, he is still doing a really good job, and I certainly think people should be able to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I'm glad the board were reading my posts as I believe I was the first to suggest we should appoint him as manager. His record so far has been outstanding beating Celtic twice and qualifying for the group stages of the Europa league. Here is hoping that this is the season he wins the league then he will truly be a legend with Rangers. Also have to say the Stevie G Express thread was one of the best posted on here at the time.

Was on nightshift when it appeared on the sun website, never really believed it at first and thought because of his inexperience in a managerial role it could be a disaster.

10 minutes later after messaging mates and looking on FF and Twitter I was completely sold on the idea and found myself getting overly excited about the idea of Steven Gerrard being the manager of our football club.

If definitely goes overboard at times. But people were always likely to be a bit blinded by his star power, it’s human nature. But if we brought in a great coach who wasn’t a huge name and he achieved more or less the same results, there’s zero chance he’d get the same level of adulation before he’d won a single trophy. In fact he’d probably need a league title at the very least.

I don’t like the way he’s sort of built as being bigger than the club, but the reality is it’s cool having such a big name leading us, he is still doing a really good job, and I certainly think people should be able to enjoy it.

A sensible post mate. Absolutely everyone should enjoy our improvement but the OTT stuff at times is the irk.

Back