Remembering Laughing At Darren Mackie

Special One

the thread on Zander Diamond made me think of this, as I thought it was him.
wee bit of googling however and ta-da!

Remember the time Darren Mackie told kids at a school his favourite book was lord of the rings, even although he hadn't read it and had only saw the films.....

(from the Record, so no link....)

ABERDEEN striker Darren Mackie may one day go down in the club's history books as their all-time SPL top scorer ... but he's unlikely to read about it.

The 29-year-old player admitted he doesn't read books - despite being picked as a "Reading Champion" by his local school.

Darren has been getting a ribbing from fans for his honest answers on the website of Meldrum School in Oldmeldrum.

Supporting the perceived wisdom that footballers' brains are in their feet, he told the primary's pupils: "My favourite book is Lord Of The Rings, although I haven't read the book, I have watched the films.

"The book must be good because the films are so good."

And he chose the trilogy's author, J.R.R. Tolkien, as his favourite writer, saying: "He wrote the best story ever told."

Darren, who joined the Reds straight from school at age 16, confessed: "I don't read books but I read a lot of magazines about cars, health and general interest."

The player, who sportingly took part in the school's drive to encourage more youngsters to pick up books, added: "I think I am a Reading Champion because I enjoy the fact you learn things from reading."

But a fan on the Who Ate All The Pies website wrote: "Jesus wept! Couldn't he just have lied?"

"My favourite book is Lord Of The Rings, although I haven't read the book, I have watched the films.

"The book must be good because the films are so good."

Absolutely howling at this. :D

Reminds me of some story I heard from a professional footballer who on the strength of a solitary 'O' level was nicknamed Professor by his teammates. Whether it was because his fellow pros were stunned by his academic genius or it was merely a pisstake he never said.

Remember the story of Jason McAteer when on night out with Liverpool teammates. Went for pizza after the bevy and when guy was cutting the pizza asked if he'd like it cut into 6 or 8 slices, the bold Jason said 6 cos he'd never manage 8. Loads of stories of thick C uNtS that played football

A mate of mine told me a story he heard when he lived up in Aberdeen for a while, about the night Mackie scored against Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Mackie’s in a bar/club after the game and the barman asks what he was after and his reply was “two buckets of ice cause my feet are on fire”. Found it funny, despite him being a sheepshagger.

I was told by an excellent source who actually witnessed this..
R Gough took Ian Ferguson to hotel in Bothwell at lunch. Goughie ordered a cappuccino at which point Fergie said I'll have one of them as well I'm starving.

I’m sure he moved to the MLS and a bunch of weirdo fans turned up at the airport to welcome him singing his name

"Jesus wept". Is the shortest verse in the bible and was made even more famous when the 50s newscaster and Father of the Dimbleby clan,Richard was overheard saying it on real time BBC Panorama way back when. Caused a furor and almost a stramash at the time.

Fred Truman was said to have ordered apple pie in a restaurant and was asked if he would rather have it "a la mode". Fred said, "Nay lad, but I'll have ice cream on top of it"

Remember the story of Jason McAteer when on night out with Liverpool teammates. Went for pizza after the bevy and when guy was cutting the pizza asked if he'd like it cut into 6 or 8 slices, the bold Jason said 6 cos he'd never manage 8. Loads of stories of thick C uNtS that played football

Neil Ruddock tells the story they are in a club and Jimmy White walks in. McAteer shouts over: "Hey Jimmy! 180!"

I was told by an excellent source who actually witnessed this..
R Gough took Ian Ferguson to hotel in Bothwell at lunch. Goughie ordered a cappuccino at which point Fergie said I'll have one of them as well I'm starving.
I heard it was Ray Wilkins at La Fiorntina on PRW
Still a great story

YKf0Do0.jpg

I once got terrible blisters on my feet making rice for my tea one night. The instructions on the packet said 'stand in boiling water for 3 minutes......

Terrible it was :(

Last edited:
Don't know if its true or not but I heard the one about the Ger's players out for a meal & Ian Ferguson was having melon for a starter. The waiter asked him if he would like some ginger with it but he replied, No its OK we've ordered wine.

Back