Remembering the day in 1949 the late great Johnny Hubbard signed for Rangers

dh1963

It's almost 2 years since we lost a great former player, a great Ranger and a great man.

This is the story from the book Rangers The New Era of the day a young South African footballer started his career and his lifelong love of Rangers. It was written by Willie Allison in the writing style of the time.

"It was a twist of fate that brought our outside-left , Johnny Hubbard, from South Africa to us in July 1949. I received a letter from the former Hibernian player Alec Prior (who became an ace photographer in South Africa) that he had seen "the finest outside left in the Union - and the lad wants to play for Rangers". I contacted the late Bill Struth, showed him the letter, and without more ado was told "make arrangements for the boy to come here. I trust Prior's judgement, but we shall see for ourselves".

I cabled Alec to get Hubbard ready to travel, and some seven weeks later, was at my journalistic desk during my spell as Sports Editor of a Sunday newspaper when my phone rang. "Your player has just arrived and Mr Struth suggests you come and meet him", I was told by Mrs Dallas, manager Struth's secretary. I sped to the stadium, dashed upstairs to the Manager's sanctum - and aghast, beheld a homesick, frightened looking youngster. As I studied this skinny, pale and rather pathetic boy from Pretoria, I thought 'Gracious, what have I done! That poor kid will never withstand the rigours of Scottish football. Surely Alec Prior has made a ghastly mistake, and I've helped to perpetrate it.'

Maybe The Boss read my thoughts. He smiled a quiet, knowing smile. "Well now, here is your friend from South Africa. I'm sure he is going to enjoy his holiday with us. After all, surely Rangers can give a young man like John here, a holiday at our expense". Did he too fear this lightweight, who scaled only a little over 8st, would soon be on his way home? If he did, his face certainly didn't mirror his thoughts as mine must have done. Turning to the travel-worn Hubbard, he said "Now go downstairs and I'll arrange for you to get use of a tracksuit, and we'll go on the field and see what you can do".

Soon we were watching Hubbard come from the tunnel with a ball at his feet. "Let me see how you take a corner kick young man" called Mr Struth... and from the flag-kick came the most beautifully judged kick I've seen. The ball hung lazily in the air, gained impetus as it zoomed towards the far-off junction of the post and bar, and dipped into the goal. It was reminiscent of the famous Alan Morton corners.

Manager Struth merely nodded. Nothing more. Then he shouted "Now come to me with the ball - heading it". Hubbard was no longer the woebegone figure I had met a quarter of an hour before, but an all-action, elegant athlete, perfectly balanced, the ball master as he juggled with it in the air, now and then letting it drop on to his shoulder or his knee then back to his head. "That will do my young man" said Manager Struth as Hubbard closed up on us. The Boss said "Lad, the greatest thing that can happen to anyone is about to happen to you - you are going to become a Rangers player. We'll go upstairs and complete the details".

Johnny Hubbard never weighed more than 8st 10lbs when with us, gave 10 years faithful service before trying his fortune with Bury, and then returning to Scotland. He scored many spectacular and match winning goals, treating more muscular and weighty opponents who sought to make physical contact with contempt. He had more than one offer to return to South Africa and coach, but he had come to love the land of his adoption and settled in Ayr."

Hubb-and-Struth1586452791.jpg

The day he signed.

I spent many a summer holiday at the old Dam Park hall in Ayr at his sports club. An absolute gent of a man. Loved talking about the game and had some great stories.

It's almost 2 years since we lost a great former player, a great Ranger and a great man.

This is the story from the book Rangers The New Era of the day a young South African footballer started his career and his lifelong love of Rangers. It was written by Willie Allison in the writing style of the time.

"It was a twist of fate that brought our outside-left , Johnny Hubbard, from South Africa to us in July 1949. I received a letter from the former Hibernian player Alec Prior (who became an ace photographer in South Africa) that he had seen "the finest outside left in the Union - and the lad wants to play for Rangers". I contacted the late Bill Struth, showed him the letter, and without more ado was told "make arrangements for the boy to come here. I trust Prior's judgement, but we shall see for ourselves".

I cabled Alec to get Hubbard ready to travel, and some seven weeks later, was at my journalistic desk during my spell as Sports Editor of a Sunday newspaper when my phone rang. "Your player has just arrived and Mr Struth suggests you come and meet him", I was told by Mrs Dallas, manager Struth's secretary. I sped to the stadium, dashed upstairs to the Manager's sanctum - and aghast, beheld a homesick, frightened looking youngster. As I studied this skinny, pale and rather pathetic boy from Pretoria, I thought 'Gracious, what have I done! That poor kid will never withstand the rigours of Scottish football. Surely Alec Prior has made a ghastly mistake, and I've helped to perpetrate it.'

Maybe The Boss read my thoughts. He smiled a quiet, knowing smile. "Well now, here is your friend from South Africa. I'm sure he is going to enjoy his holiday with us. After all, surely Rangers can give a young man like John here, a holiday at our expense". Did he too fear this lightweight, who scaled only a little over 8st, would soon be on his way home? If he did, his face certainly didn't mirror his thoughts as mine must have done. Turning to the travel-worn Hubbard, he said "Now go downstairs and I'll arrange for you to get use of a tracksuit, and we'll go on the field and see what you can do".

Soon we were watching Hubbard come from the tunnel with a ball at his feet. "Let me see how you take a corner kick young man" called Mr Struth... and from the flag-kick came the most beautifully judged kick I've seen. The ball hung lazily in the air, gained impetus as it zoomed towards the far-off junction of the post and bar, and dipped into the goal. It was reminiscent of the famous Alan Morton corners.

Manager Struth merely nodded. Nothing more. Then he shouted "Now come to me with the ball - heading it". Hubbard was no longer the woebegone figure I had met a quarter of an hour before, but an all-action, elegant athlete, perfectly balanced, the ball master as he juggled with it in the air, now and then letting it drop on to his shoulder or his knee then back to his head. "That will do my young man" said Manager Struth as Hubbard closed up on us. The Boss said "Lad, the greatest thing that can happen to anyone is about to happen to you - you are going to become a Rangers player. We'll go upstairs and complete the details".

Johnny Hubbard never weighed more than 8st 10lbs when with us, gave 10 years faithful service before trying his fortune with Bury, and then returning to Scotland. He scored many spectacular and match winning goals, treating more muscular and weighty opponents who sought to make physical contact with contempt. He had more than one offer to return to South Africa and coach, but he had come to love the land of his adoption and settled in Ayr."

I watched him from the day he played for the first team, and he was a joy to watch.
And as far as taking penalty kicks goes, he was an expert at taking them.
Heq
He was also a first class left winger, and a gentleman into the bargain.And later on another South African arrived on the scene, by the name of Don Kitchenbrand, a player with udoubted skills and quality.lol. those were happy days, and it was a pleasure to watch players give everything while wearing the blue jersey.
Thank you wee Johnny Hubbard for services rendered.

I never saw him play, but growing up my dad told me often of the penalty king.

I had the privilege and honour to meet Mr Hubbard at the the re-dedication of Mr Struth's grave at Craigton Cemetery a couple of years ago.

A gentleman and a Ranger to the end.

My father recollects attending his debut against Partick I believe. He smiled as he told me that he thought Johnny wouldn't make it as he was 'too wee'.

I was fortunate to attend Johnny's 80th birthday party held inside Ibrox, along with quite a few lads on here, some of whom helped to organise the whole thing.
A fantastic memorable night it was too, listening to wee Johnny and big Billy Simpson telling stories about each other.

Back