Rene Maric - Borussia Mönchengladbach Assistant Manager aged 27.

drgriffen

Really interesting interview with Maric:

Ultimately, it's a very simple process: on the pitch, you're either protecting the ball, demanding the ball, or creating space. There is nothing else. Tactics is the mutual resolving of a situation through these actions by means of predefined playing philosophies, which correspond with the players' abilities and their understanding of the game.

Very interesting read.

It shows that the "normal model" of managerial appointments could become a bit out date.

Had some great football coaches who got the best out my limited talents for sure, it is a simple game. In my 40's now and still play 8 a side most weeks (before COVID) and wish i had the football brain I have now when in 20's. We simply slow the game down in our own heads and do simple things while the kids round us go crazy trying to be Messi

Very interesting. Agree with much of what he says. You can overfill a players head with game plans and tactics that get thrown out the window in the first 5 minutes dependant on what the other team does. Individual players making good decisions is what turns games.

Back