Replacement for Kent?

To get him on loan, I'd imagine we'll have to pay a significant loan fee. Liverpool aren't going to put off the sale for 12 months without something in return.

Need to just pull out all the stops for Kent. Can talk about his lack of goals but you can be sure opposition managers viewed him as our main danger with his pace and trickery.

Jones, Stewart and Murphy do not have the same quality.

Jordan Jones

If that’s the case, what a dramatic downgrade that’ll be. Jones will be a decent squad option but it says a lot about our title aspirations if Jones will be a first team regular

We'll have Murphy, Candeias, Grezda, Middleton and Jones all in the squad. Even if Grezda is to be sold, that's 4 players that can play that role.

And that doesn't include Arfield, Hastie or even Docherty who I reckon could do what Arfield has in terms of playing a bit further forward. Nor any of our youngsters who may be knocking on the door soon.

I really like Kent, but I'm also wary of having too big a squad overall.
The notion that Kent would somehow bloat our squad us emmmmmm interesting.

All the players you mention and the youngsters you don’t mention aren’t close to Kent's standard.

Whoever our manager wants, I don't think he comes on here for suggestions :))
Damn it,was hoping for a scouting gig despite knowing the square root of f.uck all about it!

As always,a thread on a footy forum is for us fans mate-and should be taken with a large bottle of salt rather than a pinch :p

The notion that Kent would somehow bloat our squad us emmmmmm interesting.

All the players you mention and the youngsters you don’t mention aren’t close to Kent's standard.

I didn't say Kent would, as such.

But I do worry about the numbers. We're signing 3 players in that area of the pitch, with players like Murphy, Dorrans and Docherty returning.

At some point, Mark Allen has to tell Gerrard to work with what he has. We're close to that point now.

Regarding Kent, we really have nobody currently who directly replaces what he offers. By that I mean genuine dribbling ability and going by one or two players - his impact allows other space and freedom .

Murphy, Jones and Stewart all have the potential to score or assist more based on previous numbers and highlights.

Each player though would get more freedom and opportunities if they had Kent on the park with them.

I think we need to replace Kent or hope he stays for that reason. Murphy is the closest to Kent in the trouble he causes for opposition. If he can get back 100 percent I would trust him to play the Kent role well though.

I didn't say Kent would, as such.

But I do worry about the numbers. We're signing 3 players in that area of the pitch, with players like Murphy, Dorrans and Docherty returning.

At some point, Mark Allen has to tell Gerrard to work with what he has. We're close to that point now.
Well Dorrans and Doherty absolutely are not players that could play in any type of front three.

So yeah, a replacement due Kent is needed if he leaves. It’s not a numbers game it’s about quality.

You are so overrating Kent my friend.The three you figure that wouldn't fill the void.
Could quite easily come in and put up better figures than Kent.IMHO.
Really don't want to turn this in to a discussion about the 3, as the OP said.

But Stewart doesn't play LW, neither does Hastie & if anyone on here thinks Jordan Jones is close to Ryan Kents ability then they need to give up watching football.

Over the season his goals and assists don't merit a 10 mill fee but if that is what he goes for then he isn't signing for Rangers, Gerrrard or no Gerrard. Finished the season well but he isn't the new Henderson or Johnston

Greg Stewart will score more goals and assist more goals next season than Ryan Kent did for us this season.

Kent seems to be so highly rated by loads of people and I just don’t quite understand it. I think he’s a decent, hard working winger who seriously lacks end product.

I honestly think for the money people are talking about paying for Kent we could get a player that is much better.

Ewan Chester Loyal?

Harry wilson is a much more completed player than Kent imo. Kent has pace and tricks but he needs to add more assists and goals to his game to be banded about as a 10m + player

Kent isn't really a winger, ideally you want him roaming anywhere he wants, getting on the ball and going at defenders.

We don't have a player like him. Either at the club or about to arrive.

Get Kent on another loan then buy him at the end of next season with one less year on his contract. Allows us to spend elsewhere in the squad. Only problem is Kent wants to leave Liverpool and is fed up being loaned out constantly. He is pivotal in our formation as the free role. He’s irreplaceable.

The ‘quality over quantity’ policy dictates Kent will be replaced by a player we sink a good few quid into.

I’d hope for 4/5m investment here.

Reactions: cav
Jones needs to step his game up and stop thinking he's the next Ronaldo with pointless step overs.

I hope to christ he's not first pick.

We'll have Murphy, Candeias, Grezda, Middleton and Jones all in the squad. Even if Grezda is to be sold, that's 4 players that can play that role.

And that doesn't include Arfield, Hastie or even Docherty who I reckon could do what Arfield has in terms of playing a bit further forward. Nor any of our youngsters who may be knocking on the door soon.

I really like Kent, but I'm also wary of having too big a squad overall.

I just think that this is an area of the field where that extra bit of quality could yield massive benefits mate.
All of those guys are good, but are any genuine match changers, apart from Arfield who can be injury prone ?

Unfortuntely kent will not be playing at Ibrox next season.

A championship/lower epl will pay around the £10 million liverpool are seemingly looking for, obviously we cannot afford that and liverpool will see no sense in loaning him for another year, why would they?

I think we need to give Jones a fair shot, he has great pace with the ball which can potentially rinse the likes of Lustig, I want to see him driving at full backs inside and out, I think his ability is limited though and needs to improve the end product but you may see a better player under a Gerrard coaching staff. Also Jamie Murphy can be vital for us assuming he can regain a top level of fitness Murphy has the final ball required which we have missed this season against the compact hammer throwing sides.

Do you reckon Murphy is good. I’m very much on the fence with him. He certainly doesn’t scare defenders and create space for others the way Kent does

If he had genuine pace then he would be worth a few bob and probably not at Ibrox.

In answer to your question I think he is an average squad player

Who is Peterson mate?
Couple of posters suggested him as a possible target a while back,nothing to it from our end as far as I’m aware unfortunately.
Right winger that cuts inside with his left foot,some stats with assists and goals.
And Heracles aren’t exactly a top side in Holland.

Do you reckon Murphy is good. I’m very much on the fence with him. He certainly doesn’t scare defenders and create space for others the way Kent does

Jamie lacks the pace & strength that Kent has imo. He also doesn’t track back as well due mainly to this.
On the positive side his final ball & finishing are much better.
In the right matches he can be a big asset if he can recover his fitness.

Greg Stewart will score more goals and assist more goals next season than Ryan Kent did for us this season.

Kent seems to be so highly rated by loads of people and I just don’t quite understand it. I think he’s a decent, hard working winger who seriously lacks end product.

I honestly think for the money people are talking about paying for Kent we could get a player that is much better.
Kent however 100% shows up against the yahoos in a way no other player in our squad does (Arfield the honourable exception). He just has that swagger a league winning team needs IMO, stats be damned.

Kent however 100% shows up against the yahoos in a way no other player in our squad does (Arfield the honourable exception). He just has that swagger a league winning team needs IMO, stats be damned.

I know there is a lot of debate about some of his finishing and end product but I'd 100% agree with this. His confidence vs them is awesome and he wants the ball and is willing to go at their backline. He causes their defense all sorts of problems and that's something I dont think our other wingers can do.

Well it certainly won’t be Lewis MacLeod, about to sign for Accies.

I remember seeing him linked with a return a few months back.

Well it certainly won’t be Lewis MacLeod, about to sign for Accies.

I remember seeing him linked with a return a few months back.
Wow,for a player with his injury record a possible twenty-odd games on shitey plastic pitches sounds a mental idea on it's own.I'd hope better for the lad,might be a good replacement for Turnbull if he moves on for Murderwell surely?

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as others confused by the Jones signing. I see him as a squad filler and would be very disappointed for him take Middleton's place on the bench. Not a good use of wage money.

Arfield, Candeias, Murphy, Dorrans, Stewart, Hastie, Middleton and Jones will all be competing for 2 places if we stick with the 4-3-2-1. That's 8 players competing for 2 positions.

Kent will not return imo and I think Murphy is his replacement.

We need to give the new signings a chance, Jones will improve under Stevie as will other players.
Grezda if still here with a pre season under his belt could turn things around.
All guess work with 100"s of twists over the next 2 months.
Let the madness begin!!

Back