Residents living near Ibrox Stadium object to Rangers bid to change car parking plans

Watch "Shankill Y.C.V Flute Band - Penny Arcade - Dancing Band 12th July 2012" on YouTube

And Mary Johnston stated match days are a “nightmare for local people”. I cannot understand how this planning application for the substantial reduction of car parking can go through until the findings from the public hearing for the ‘Ibrox Event Controls’ are concluded”, she added.

I do feel for Mary.

Clearly she bought her property prior to 1899 and could never have envisaged such problems...
One cart families back then.

I have a sneaky feeling that the so called Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council would object to many things that would benefit the largest Employer in their beloved "Community". In fact I would bet you their meetings are on a par with this group of maniacs.

30cCuI1.gif

No idea how selling land to build more houses near the stadium, who will need parking, and hoping to get parking for punters back elsewhere is a good idea. Lots more people to complain. Crazy that the council think it's a good idea nevermind Rangers.

It will make things even more difficult for the club in the future as more people complain about any events near the stadium.

It makes little sense.

NIMBYS are a disgrace in Glasgow and around the world. Excess parking for a once a fortnight activity is a horrible use of land.

I’ve often thought that would be a good idea. Anybody know what sort of cost we’d be looking at?
Way more than people not in the industry think. Where I work, about 50k CAD per space. It would be an enormous, enormous waste of cash especially when it would sit dead for 13/14 days.

Lowering the total parking will help Govan become less of a dump.

And Mary Johnston stated match days are a “nightmare for local people”. I cannot understand how this planning application for the substantial reduction of car parking can go through until the findings from the public hearing for the ‘Ibrox Event Controls’ are concluded”, she added.

I do feel for Mary.

Clearly she bought her property prior to 1899 and could never have envisaged such problems...
Wonder what team Mary supports :)

For someone that has a 68 mile round trip by car traveling to games and regularly use the Albion car park i personally think we could do with more spaces not less .

I was under the impression that selling this land at the Albion was funding the new Edmiston House development?

If so, how is this going to affect our finances going forward?

Never understood the antipathy of some fans towards people who live near the stadium.

Expecting residents to just endure limitations - and that if they don't like it, they should shut up shop and move - isn't really a conductive attitude to any of the parties involved. If a local resident is saying that match days are a "nightmare", it's the responsibility of the club to listen.
Genuine complains, yes.
Malicious complaints, no.
This Community Council has previous with us.

The club and the council should be working together to do more to increase, not decrease, the parking capacity around Ibrox. I often drive up and when I do, use the Albion car park. For Sunday games especially I need to jump in the car straight after the match for the very long drive home. If parking is further restricted and I have to park elsewhere that will add more time to the journey. Yes I know I’m only thinking about my convenience here, but I‘m sure I‘m not alone in having a long drive to/from Ibrox and I also do have some sympathy for the residents concerns on matchday parking.

Never understood the antipathy of some fans towards people who live near the stadium.

Expecting residents to just endure limitations - and that if they don't like it, they should shut up shop and move - isn't really a conductive attitude to any of the parties involved. If a local resident is saying that match days are a "nightmare", it's the responsibility of the club to listen.
Rangers and Ibrox have been there for over 100 years.....

Don't like football traffic etc? Don't choose to live 100 yards from a football stadium.

The stadium has been holding events with over 50000 people for over a hundred years . Don’t move in the area for the last 5 and think you should be able to change it. Why are Rangers selling carpark area when we should be trying to increase.

I mean I do agree but to be completely fair:

- there has been a massive shift in where the population lives in that time (smaller percentage of fans within walking distance).
- public transport is less used as ownership of cars has increased hugely over time.
-parking restriction in the city centre being introduced and expanded has meant parking generally in the zone around it has become more competitive.
- we simply are playing more big games than ever before. Routinely 2 games a week (50+ fixtures a year) from august through to May.

You can easily imagine how what seemed like a mild inconvenience in the 70s has grown arms and legs since then.

Ah, the Ibrox & Cessnock Community Council. These talking shops really do tend to get well above themselves. So much for the increased cooperation that was touted after the RCF agreed to take over running the football centre, btw.

A lot of people don’t seem to have read the article. They are objecting to a lot of parking spaces being removed from the area, which they are well within their rights to do.

A lot of people don’t seem to have read the article. They are objecting to a lot of parking spaces being removed from the area, which they are well within their rights to do.
They are being replaced elsewhere locally.

The suggestion for a station would make a massive difference. Might harm one or two of supporters club, but a lot of bears on or near the Gourock/Wemyss Bay to Glasgow line would be able to get a train directly to just outside the stadium.

Also Park and Ride options for fans. If you don't want supporters parking near the stadium put free park and ride on from various sites around the city.

Until you sort out that people are still going to drive, and are still going to try and park as close to the stadium as they can get.

Don't like football traffic etc? Don't choose to live 100 yards from a football stadium.
Genuine complains, yes.
Malicious complaints, no.
This Community Council has previous with us.

Raising concerns about parking restrictions for residents on a match day isn't a malicious complaint.

There may be previous with the community council, but this seems like a legitimate concern, backed up by posters' experiences and indeed, all of us: parking at Ibrox on a match day is a nightmare.

John McKinstry wrote: “Where are 450 parking spaces to be found? Can they be located on site as per the original consent agreement? Not according to the information supplied with the proposal.”
Look at the plans ya big diddy. You will find the planned 450 spaces there.

Or, did Mr McKinstry perhaps launch his objection for some other motive?

Buy a property next to a football stadium and then complain about matchdays. What did she expect to happen?

^^^This^^^

Always make me laugh when residents near any stadium moan about parking & disruption on matchday.

What was there 1st, you or the stadium?

Exactly, anyone moving to the area has to be aware of what it is like on match days.

I stay close to Hampden and am sick of people complaining about what goes on when big crowds are there.
I stayed in Bolton Drive in the early 2000s and it was marvellous. Great going to all the games and concerts....less so when it was Scotland games and there were drunk Teuchters pissing in your close at 10am on a sat when the game kicked off at 5pm.. Worse was the "live and loud" concerts with the kids with the fucking whistles..

It was great getting pissed in the house with my mates and walking 100 metres to the game.

Once i genuinely left Hampden and went home to watch a game on the telly as i couldn't see a thing from the stupid seat in the west stand.

First game i lived there i was away for a few days with work and came home and thought my car had been stolen. It was a semi involving the diddy teams. My car had been lifted and moved to Myrtle Park.

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people on here don't live in their perfect, hassle free home. We bought ours as it was yards from our primary age kid's school, and 10 minutes walk from the secondary school. Almost 30 years down the line we regret the parking issues and constant traffic. We do of course have the option to sell and move as do most home owners.

Who owns the waste ground a bit further down Broomloan Road? Think there used to be a pub on the corner called the Albion Way.

The footprint of that land must be about the same as the Albion car park. It’s been sitting empty for as long as I can remember, other than the derelict pub that was knocked down a few years ago.

Who owns the waste ground a bit further down Broomloan Road? Think there used to be a pub on the corner called the Albion Way.

The footprint of that land must be about the same as the Albion car park. It’s been sitting empty for as long as I can remember, other than the derelict pub that was knocked down a few years ago.
I thought Rangers had bought that plot of land for a Car park too when they agreed too sell some of the land at the Albion car park.

Reminds me of people buying houses near the golf course then complaining of balls coming over/through the fence

I live close enough to Dumbartons ground for it to cause me problems on a matchday and that's a 2000 capacity stadium!

Maybe the focus should be on providing better public transport links?

Wearing my green tinted spectacles, reducing car parking spaces may encourage fans to use more sustainable transport alternatives.

Wearing my green tinted spectacles, reducing car parking spaces may encourage fans to use more sustainable transport alternatives.
I love nothing better than using a more sustainable for of transport such as a train,Why there is no station on the mainline from Ayrshire is anybody’s guess.

The club and the council should be working together to do more to increase, not decrease, the parking capacity around Ibrox. I often drive up and when I do, use the Albion car park. For Sunday games especially I need to jump in the car straight after the match for the very long drive home. If parking is further restricted and I have to park elsewhere that will add more time to the journey. Yes I know I’m only thinking about my convenience here, but I‘m sure I‘m not alone in having a long drive to/from Ibrox and I also do have some sympathy for the residents concerns on matchday parking.
In my experience, if you are leaving at full time, then you get away quicker by avoiding The Albion Car Park. Yes, you will have further to walk to your car, so not ideal if you have limited mobility, but The Albion is a nightmare to get out of post-match.

Can fans actually get parked that close to Ibrox? I stay within the Hampden permit zone and the streets have as many parked cars on them, outwith working hours, as there is on match days. I usually park in Pollokshields for Ibrox although further away the last couple of seasons.

In my experience, if you are leaving at full time, then you get away quicker by avoiding The Albion Car Park. Yes, you will have further to walk to your car, so not ideal if you have limited mobility, but The Albion is a nightmare to get out of post-match.

Yes that's a very fair point. I value the convenience I suppose, easy to get parked on the way in and listen to the radio while crawling on the way out. It can take ridiculously long sometimes though. I'd like to get recommendations of where else to park for a quicker exit.

ah Follow Follow

Thread about someone parking outside your own house its "Rub dug shite on their doorhandles" and when someone from Ibrox comments on fans parking outside their house it becomes "f**k them Ibrox was there first"

:D

Yes that's a very fair point. I value the convenience I suppose, easy to get parked on the way in and listen to the radio while crawling on the way out. It can take ridiculously long sometimes though. I'd like to get recommendations of where else to park for a quicker exit.
My cousin drives when I go and he always parks on Fairley Street at the Copland Road end of the stadium. He usually takes a chance and parks in front of one of the business entrances as they are not in use on match days generally. Post match, it’s along Brand Street and then round and onto PRW and up onto the M74 by the Kingston Bridge to head South. Easily found on Google Maps.

If edmiston house is successful you could develop more for the matchday experience. Could build a hotel. Rangers have obviously got money for selling the land and are presumably using it to reinvest elsewhere but I hope that is for long term projects that sustain income. We don’t have any obligation to provide housing for local people other than to make money from doing it.

I’m sure the locals have legitimate complaints but there must be solutions. We could provide private parking lockable bollards, or let locals use the car park free of charge during the week or reserve some places in the Albion for them on a matchday or a mix of proposals.
Nobody is asking the club to provide housing for anyone, the land folk are on about is already owned by the council and is zoned to have decent housing rebuilt on it.
As for parking, the council came up with a solution which was residents permits, (I objected btw).

Back