Respect to Celtic to their reaction to Walters passing

The Goal Machine

One of the positive aspects if there is any is how our rivals have conducted themselves over Walters passing.

I have just saw their chairman lay a wreath at Ibrox, and the statements from players and officials have been heartfelt as have many of their fans.

Indeed the outpouring of respect from all over the world is humbling.

To be honest that is how it should be , rivals on the park only.

We probably all have friends even family from the other side, most of us are football fans, Walter bridges the rivalry, such a special man with a fitting legacy.

Respect.

I have to admit, I haven’t seen any negative comments whatsoever on Kerryfail, the odd remark about ‘have no love for him as a Rangers man’ but ‘a massive figure and Scottish football is worse off without him’ is about as backhanded as it gets. There are decent human beings who support that team and the passing of a true gentleman and legend like Walter Smith seems to bring them out. If you look at Hearts, Killie, Motherwell etc forums there is nothing but respect and grief, let’s not go into Aberdeen for now, truly disgusting and Willie Miller would be utterly ashamed if he saw one of the images they put up yesterday.

As a character in our game Walter is irreplaceable. Every future manager of Rangers has a legacy and history to continue and iconic names to emulate - none are bigger than him.

It puts football into perspective. I think we are all guilty, on both sides, of getting caught up in the hatred and rivalry of it all.

Truth is being a Celtic supporter doesn't automatically make you a bad person. I'm sure most of us have mates that support them.

Both sides know how to behave, knowing and doing are two different things but credit where it’s due

There's no greater tribute to the character of the man. The 'divide' means nothing when your personal values and qualities far exceed anything a football rivalry can throw at you. A true colossus of a human.

Walter brought many good memories to Scotland fans, particularly an amazing solid Walter game management to beat France in 2006

Spoke to loads of them yesterday at work at they were actually gutted about it. Walter was just that special. The same guys were not in any way pleasant about Fernando for context. I had a look at Kerridale and expected one or two idiots but I couldn't I have to give them credit. I am not sure about the sheep mind you.

I’d be far more confident of Celtic supporters being respectful about Walter Smith tonight than I am about the scumbags we are hosting.

All I'll say is don't look at their forum. I saw some disgusting screenshots.

I have to admit, I haven’t seen any negative comments whatsoever on Kerryfail, the odd remark about ‘have no love for him as a Rangers man’ but ‘a massive figure and Scottish football is worse off without him’ is about as backhanded as it gets. There are decent human beings who support that team and the passing of a true gentleman and legend like Walter Smith seems to bring them out. If you look at Hearts, Killie, Motherwell etc forums there is nothing but respect and grief, let’s not go into Aberdeen for now, truly disgusting and Willie Miller would be utterly ashamed if he saw one of the images they put up yesterday.

As a character in our game Walter is irreplaceable. Every future manager of Rangers has a legacy and history to continue and iconic names to emulate - none are bigger than him.
Sadly, the same can not be said for Huddleboard. Some absolute sewer rats on there. I have some screenshots of some disgusting comments. They may be aired in the near future when the time is right.

Sheep in wolfs clothing and all that.

Sadly, the same can not be said for Huddleboard. Some absolute sewer rats on there. I have some screenshots of some disgusting comments. They may be aired in the near future when the time is right.

Sheep in wolfs clothing and all that.
That’s a shame to hear. If people can’t say anything nice or close to human then they should just say nothing.

I hope you stick 6 past those cunts tonight btw.

One of the positive aspects if there is any is how our rivals have conducted themselves over Walters passing.

I have just saw their chairman lay a wreath at Ibrox, and the statements from players and officials have been heartfelt as have many of their fans.

Indeed the outpouring of respect from all over the world is humbling.

To be honest that is how it should be , rivals on the park only.

We probably all have friends even family from the other side, most of us are football fans, Walter bridges the rivalry, such a special man with a fitting legacy.

Respect.
It's just a game of football at the end of the day and it's times like this when big figures from either side pass away that the 2 clubs come together and show the respect people like Walter Smith or Billy McNeil when he passed away deserve.

Had a look on Kerryfail last night and the worst comment I read was a moral high ground post praising their reaction and saying we would never do the same for them. Really wanted to post the Billy McNeill thread from last year, but not a time for point scoring.

I would rather be playing Celtic tonight than Aberdeen.

Not really surprised. Theres certain people on both sides where any sense of rivalry is ditched totally. Smith is definitely one of the last remaining on that list.

I must have read close to 1000 comments online about his passing and out of them all, one was some wee dick trying to be snide and "Edgy" and one was bringing EBTs into it. Neither deserved attention. but the remainder were all respectful and included many Celtic fans.

We done/will do the same. Its just basic decency.

I think that there is an unwritten rule between us that we put our differences to the side when in the immediate aftermath of when our respective legends passes on.

It was the same when Billy McNeil passed.

For Walter, I think all fans have been hugely respectfull apart from Aberdeen fans, who really are the worst.

Last edited:
Really not interested in anything released by Celtic. Simply struggle to believe the sincerity.

And I agree with other posters about concerns with tonights 'fans' we are hosting.
IF they do spoil our tribute I really worry things could get nasty - simply because of the depth and strength of feeling all bears have for Walter... ANY disrespect to him at this moment in time should not be tolerated.

Not ashamed to say that reading this forum last 2 days has been tough - tears in my eyes.

The reality is most Celtic fans don't like us, maybe even hate us, but there's generally respect across the divide for people when it's deserved. My tim mate texted me along the lines of, I still hate your team, but gutted to hear about Walter. I wouldn't expect any different the other way around.

What I can't stomach is the journalists and politicians who have made a career out of dehumanising everything Rangers, all of a sudden jumping on board and trying to hijack our genuine grief.

only seen a couple of rockets on twitter - 99.9% of yahoos very respectful
and those few who weren't were shouted down

We have to be careful tonight if the Aberdeen fans react as we think they may do. It will take a lot of discipline but to react to them during the minutes silence would be self defeating.

I would appeal to everyone to ignore them for 60 seconds.

Act like Walter Smith, show them the dignity expected of a Ranger, as he has shown us.

I’d be far more confident of Celtic supporters being respectful about Walter Smith tonight than I am about the scumbags we are hosting.
That’s because, like us, Celtic fans primarily care about success for their team.

Aberdeen fans can't even hope for success so they have become utterly consumed in their hatred of us, because it makes them feel slightly less utterly irrelevant.

Last edited:
Not sure about that mate.
I am. Aberdeen fans are scum. They’ve been bitter they had a brief success in the 80s and then realised it wasnt because they were big or popular or particularly great players, it was all down to one man after he started on his quest to be the worlds greatest manager. A Rangers man no less

And the club who put 3rd, 2nd and final nails in their coffin via cup finals and league trophies in the late eighties, were Rangers. From European success and Scottish trophies to decades of nothingness all within 8 years. All the bitterness since and the hatred it generates gets directed at us, like a wee guy raging at the bird who rejected him in high school and ended up marrying a lawyer and being very happy while he turned into a nobody.

Celtic as a club, (and many of the fans) at least appreciate our traditions. Celtic take part in the Loving Cup ceremony and toast our queen which is a solid gesture given our vastly contrasting views on the monarch. They have proper respect for the Ibrox disaster as a football club and so do the vast majority of their fans. Abereen don’t. There’s no begrudging respect, they hate us.

None of the celtic fans I know would ever call me an orange bastard or a Hun in my presence and I would never use derogatory terms for them either. There’s a mutual understanding, we’re the old firm, we share as much with them as we have differences. Privately I don’t care what they say, it may be different but I’m not bothered, I’m not exactly whiter than white myself when it comes to my language among friends. But the Aberdeen fans are openly hostile, make very borderline unacceptable comments about our club and fans, and use sectarian language to describe us openly. I’ve came close to offering at least one of them out and that’s not in my nature to do so.

They are nothing but bitter trolling scum. A pathetic snivelling set of fans who have ideas so above their station it literally sets them up for annual falls. Jilted Lover FC

I am. Aberdeen fans are scum. They’ve been bitter they had a brief success in the 80s and then realised it wasnt because they were big or popular or particularly great players, it was all down to one man after he started on his quest to be the worlds greatest manager. A Rangers man no less

And the club who put 3rd, 2nd and final nails in their coffin via cup finals and league trophies in the late eighties, were Rangers. From European success and Scottish trophies to decades of nothingness all within 8 years. All the bitterness since and the hatred it generates gets directed at us, like a wee guy raging at the bird who rejected him in high school and ended up marrying a lawyer and being very happy while he turned into a nobody.

Celtic as a club, (and many of the fans) at least appreciate our traditions. Celtic take part in the Loving Cup ceremony and toast our queen which is a solid gesture given our vastly contrasting views on the monarch. They have proper respect for the Ibrox disaster as a football club and so do the vast majority of their fans. Abereen don’t. There’s no begrudging respect, they hate us.

None of the celtic fans I know would ever call me an orange bastard or a Hun in my presence and I would never use derogatory terms for them either. There’s a mutual understanding, we’re the old firm, we share as much with them as we have differences. Privately I don’t care what they say, it may be different but I’m not bothered, I’m not exactly whiter than white myself when it comes to my language among friends. But the Aberdeen fans are openly hostile, make very borderline unacceptable comments about our club and fans, and use sectarian language to describe us openly. I’ve came close to offering at least one of them out and that’s not in my nature to do so.

They are nothing but bitter trolling scum. A pathetic snivelling set of fans who have ideas so above their station it literally sets them up for annual falls. Jilted Lover FC
I agree a lot what you say but not all ,they would have a core who would be direspectfull aswell youve been lucky never to be called in there presence a orange b or whatever i have ,no matter yes the sheep are scum but im 50/50 who would be worse when push comes to shove,anyway who cares its all about Walter Smith and Rangers mate .
WATP

WATP

Your post really says it all. If they disrespect the minutes silence then they should be banned forever.
If they have the audacity to do so then as a support it’s important not to react. Let them show themselves up for the classless tramps they are. Any reaction from us and it may get unpleasant. Let’s remember who this night and game is all about and sing and support the team accordingly.

Probably 99% of them have been pretty decent but you can always count on trash like James Forrest and his yahoo blog to lower the tone.

Rather than just shutting his hate filled mouth for few days or so he's used the passing of a legend as a cheap excuse to score points against the Rangers supporters and club.

Thank God we are playing at home. I genuinely don't want to think about what it'd be like away to them tonight.

Compare to the Stand Free Aberdeen Forum where the title of the thread is Deid Former Huns Manager, and has a staggering 14 posts....

Even more staggering is one of the replies is from a 'Bear' crawling up their arses.

Anyway as has been said, it's been nice to read the moving tributes from all quarters. For me personally it's been a very very tough week and with so much negative shit lately, it sort of restores your faith in people.

Back