Rest easy Da - Robert Devine

Sorry for your loss and condolences for you and your family.

That was a lovely heartfelt tribute to you dad and the best way to carry on his legacy is to support the club through the good and bad times and make sure your own children and grandchildren also follow follow.

Although I don’t know you, I don’t mind saying your post near brought a tear to my eyes. God bless you.

He will be smiling down on you tonight.

Last edited:
Rest easy Rab, most of your values in life and the love of The Rangers would have been passed down from your dad, close your eyes and think of your happy times together, that was your dad and the way to remember him,

I’ve been wresting with myself whether to post or not, but my Dad was one of the true Rangers family...

He passed away last Thursday afternoon, aged 67, shortly before the first leg vs. Antwerp. He’s been fighting Parkinson’s for about 4 years now, and had a massive brain aneurysm nearly two weeks ago, which hospitalised him to the point they thought he would only last a matter of hours. He fought on bravely and peacefully in his sleep for nearly a week before finally succumbing.

Dad (Rab as he was known in Kirky where he was born and brought up...Big Bob as he was known down here in England), aged 17 attended the fateful game on the 2nd January 1971 in which he and a couple of his pals escaped via stairway 13. His best pal Tam Sterling (aged just 16) was not, however, as fortunate. Dad carried Tam’s honour, and the hurt of his death, to his own death bed.

I’m just devastated that he never got to see the famous lift the 55, and our ultimate return to greatness. But we’ll celebrate when they do it, and the team have done him proud in the 3 games since he passed.

So many amazing memories of going to Ibrox and away that me and my brother can carry with us. He was a true Rangers man, who epitomised the dignity, humour, passion, pride and fire befitting of the wider Rangers family. A true Blue. He has his rightful place on the Davie Cooper Walk of fame panel and his ashes will be scattered on it when time allows.

Heres to you Dad, rest easy big man.

Im pretty sure your dad left this Earth knowing 55 was all but a formality mate. May he rest in peace and join in with the big party in Blue Heaven when that day comes for us to really celebrate.

RIP RAB (Bob)

So sorry for your loss OP

Lovely tribute to your Dad

I lost my Mum a few years ago and it’s sore but always remember the good times and cherish the memories

Take care and raise a glass when 55 is complete

WATP

Glad you posted. Always right to do this. Everyone in a family matters to everyone else. Your Dad sounds like a great man - only you, your brother and close family know how great.
As you say, rest easy. God keep him safe until we get to be together again and comfort you guys who have to miss him for a time.

I’ve been wresting with myself whether to post or not, but my Dad was one of the true Rangers family...

He passed away last Thursday afternoon, aged 67, shortly before the first leg vs. Antwerp. He’s been fighting Parkinson’s for about 4 years now, and had a massive brain aneurysm nearly two weeks ago, which hospitalised him to the point they thought he would only last a matter of hours. He fought on bravely and peacefully in his sleep for nearly a week before finally succumbing.

Dad (Rab as he was known in Kirky where he was born and brought up...Big Bob as he was known down here in England), aged 17 attended the fateful game on the 2nd January 1971 in which he and a couple of his pals escaped via stairway 13. His best pal Tam Sterling (aged just 16) was not, however, as fortunate. Dad carried Tam’s honour, and the hurt of his death, to his own death bed.

I’m just devastated that he never got to see the famous lift the 55, and our ultimate return to greatness. But we’ll celebrate when they do it, and the team have done him proud in the 3 games since he passed.

So many amazing memories of going to Ibrox and away that me and my brother can carry with us. He was a true Rangers man, who epitomised the dignity, humour, passion, pride and fire befitting of the wider Rangers family. A true Blue. He has his rightful place on the Davie Cooper Walk of fame panel and his ashes will be scattered on it when time allows.

Really sorry to hear that, did your dad and grandad go to the games on the Waterside Rangers Supporters bus, picked up Robert and Jimmy at the Golden Pheasant?

Rest in peace Rab.

Sorry for your loss. Fella

Sorry for your loss, OP. That`s a really nice and touching tribute that you have found both the time; and the words to relate your feelings into written word.
Take comfort that your Da is no longer suffering; he`s at rest.

I think reading that your Da was also your pal thats a great thing some folk don't have and I'm sure he is very proud of you ,you will sadly miss him but he will still be watching you from above take care.

Really sorry to hear that, did your dad and grandad go to the games on the Waterside Rangers Supporters bus, picked up Robert and Jimmy at the Golden Pheasant?
It’s most likely mate, yes. My Dad (Rab) would have got on the Waterside bus with my Grandpa (Andy/Andra), and my great Uncle Jim (Jimmy) would have got on the bus with his son, my Dad’s cousin, who is also called Robert, at the Pheasant.

My brother and I can’t corroborate whether Uncle Jim’s son Robert would have gone to the games or not, but it’s obvious we’re talking about the same people.

Thanks for getting in touch pal.

So sad mate.
RIP Robert.
Stay strong bud

It’s most likely mate, yes. My Dad (Rab) would have got on the Waterside bus with my Grandpa (Andy/Andra), and my great Uncle Jim (Jimmy) would have got on the bus with his son, my Dad’s cousin, who is also called Robert, at the Pheasant.

My brother and I can’t corroborate whether Uncle Jim’s son Robert would have gone to the games or not, but it’s obvious we’re talking about the same people.

Thanks for getting in touch pal.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply, look after yourself and the family.

Thanks for all the kind messages of support all, it truly is heartwarming and I’ve a tear in my eye reading them all. The thread is also providing my brother great comfort.

It’s overwhelming, and to be part of the big wide Rangers family is to be part of the largest, most amazing collective family on this planet, bar none!

All our absent friends will be gathering up above and having an epic knees up when 55 lands.

Thank Goodness for our wonderful Glasgow Rangers.

Thanks again, all.

Back