Rest easy Da - Robert Devine

I’ve been wresting with myself whether to post or not, but my Dad was one of the true Rangers family...

He passed away last Thursday afternoon, aged 67, shortly before the first leg vs. Antwerp. He’s been fighting Parkinson’s for about 4 years now, and had a massive brain aneurysm nearly two weeks ago, which hospitalised him to the point they thought he would only last a matter of hours. He fought on bravely and peacefully in his sleep for nearly a week before finally succumbing.

Dad (Rab as he was known in Kirky where he was born and brought up...Big Bob as he was known down here in England), aged 17 attended the fateful game on the 2nd January 1971 in which he and a couple of his pals escaped via stairway 13. His best pal Tam Sterling (aged just 16) was not, however, as fortunate. Dad carried Tam’s honour, and the hurt of his death, to his own death bed.

I’m just devastated that he never got to see the famous lift the 55, and our ultimate return to greatness. But we’ll celebrate when they do it, and the team have done him proud in the 3 games since he passed.

So many amazing memories of going to Ibrox and away that me and my brother can carry with us. He was a true Rangers man, who epitomised the dignity, humour, passion, pride and fire befitting of the wider Rangers family. A true Blue. He has his rightful place on the Davie Cooper Walk of fame panel and his ashes will be scattered on it when time allows.

Heres to you Dad, rest easy big man.
Think your dad knew 55 was won already.

Sorry for your loss mate. Be assured, he will be watching on and smiling alongside all the greats, at our return to our rightful place. There will be an extra wee smile at how happy the win is making you. He’ll know, and love it.

It’s most likely mate, yes. My Dad (Rab) would have got on the Waterside bus with my Grandpa (Andy/Andra), and my great Uncle Jim (Jimmy) would have got on the bus with his son, my Dad’s cousin, who is also called Robert, at the Pheasant.

My brother and I can’t corroborate whether Uncle Jim’s son Robert would have gone to the games or not, but it’s obvious we’re talking about the same people.

Thanks for getting in touch pal.
These are the same fantastic people I remember. As I youngster I travelled on the same bus and your great uncle Jimmy would give us a rendition of “The green grassy slopes of the Boyne “ followed by “We have an Anchor” before getting off the bus at the Pheasant in Auchinloch.
Great memories of a great bunch of loyal Rangers Supporters. Hope this is some comfort to you and your brother.

So sorry for your lost & a fantastic tribute to your Da'.

Posts such as your own, can't help me thinking of the many, many Bears ( including my Mum lost to Covid19) who have passed before witnessing our return to the top of Scottish football.

Couple that with our displays in Europe, we have seen The Rangers Roar our way back, whilst still fighting being financially hamstrung due to the Spivs influence.

Imagine the view of our games they all now have...

Sleep easy Rab/Rob

These are the same fantastic people I remember. As I youngster I travelled on the same bus and your great uncle Jimmy would give us a rendition of “The green grassy slopes of the Boyne “ followed by “We have an Anchor” before getting off the bus at the Pheasant in Auchinloch.
Great memories of a great bunch of loyal Rangers Supporters. Hope this is some comfort to you and your brother.
It absolutely is pal, thank you.

It’s wonderful to think of the great times you and they would have had on those many supporters buses on the way into games.

My Great Uncle Jim had a brilliant singing voice on him and he wasn’t shy in sharing it with people, so that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. My Da used to say there was always singing on the bus from Kirky.

I Used to be a member of the Waterside Loyal and we picked up at the Pheasant on the way to Ibrox, Mr Devine used to sort me out with tickets for away games when I was a boy, did he have a big Souness moustache?

Last edited:
I’ve been wresting with myself whether to post or not, but my Dad was one of the true Rangers family...

He passed away last Thursday afternoon, aged 67, shortly before the first leg vs. Antwerp. He’s been fighting Parkinson’s for about 4 years now, and had a massive brain aneurysm nearly two weeks ago, which hospitalised him to the point they thought he would only last a matter of hours. He fought on bravely and peacefully in his sleep for nearly a week before finally succumbing.

Dad (Rab as he was known in Kirky where he was born and brought up...Big Bob as he was known down here in England), aged 17 attended the fateful game on the 2nd January 1971 in which he and a couple of his pals escaped via stairway 13. His best pal Tam Sterling (aged just 16) was not, however, as fortunate. Dad carried Tam’s honour, and the hurt of his death, to his own death bed.

I’m just devastated that he never got to see the famous lift the 55, and our ultimate return to greatness. But we’ll celebrate when they do it, and the team have done him proud in the 3 games since he passed.

So many amazing memories of going to Ibrox and away that me and my brother can carry with us. He was a true Rangers man, who epitomised the dignity, humour, passion, pride and fire befitting of the wider Rangers family. A true Blue. He has his rightful place on the Davie Cooper Walk of fame panel and his ashes will be scattered on it when time allows.

Rest Easy

I Used to be a member of the Waterside Loyal and we picked up at the Pheasant on the way to Ibrox, Mr Devine used to sort me out with tickets for away games when I was a boy, did he have a big Souness moustache?
Aye he did mate, that’s right.

Latterly we’d look back on photos and call him Pablo Escobar, the likeness was uncanny in certain photos!

I think my Dad must have visited about every away ground that Rangers would have played in Scotland when he was a lad.

Aye he did mate, that’s right.

Latterly we’d look back on photos and call him Pablo Escobar, the likeness was uncanny in certain photos!

I think my Dad must have visited about every away ground that Rangers would have played in Scotland when he was a lad.
Lovely guy, always sorted me out for for tickets on the Waterside bus back in the day, when the Souness Revolution happened. Sorry to hear of him passing, sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to you and the family.

So sorry for your loss.
Your Dad sounds like an incredible man, one who has raised two great sons.
I got shivers reading your tribute to him, beautiful words.

Remember the great times spent with your Dad.
A Bear up in Blue Heaven.

Rest easy brother bear.

Chin up lad, FF are behind you

Not easy mate,sorry for your loss,people will tell you time is a healer,its not ,but what is,when you have grieved for your loss and the sadness and anguish and pain of losing a loved one subsides a little,start to think only of the positive things and the happy times you had with your dad watching the famous going on holiday whatever you both did together,slowly and slowly the sun will peek through,and you will be left with wonderful wonderful memories of him,also he will be up in our blue heaven along with my dad Vinnie, my brother Stephen, uncle ernie,papa bobo,garry telfer and thousands of other bears that have sadly passed away cheering us on to 55.my brother will be 2 years gone 9th march ,I know when we win it I will be an emotional wreck,condolences to you and your family,putting my arms around you from here in Dumfries and giving you all the biggest hug I can,stay strong yours aye Carlos and the Rangers family WATP

You were right to post, the Rangers family likes to hear these stories...

I lost my parents within the past year. Their bricks are still holding up the main stand, and I like to think that all those apparently empty seats this season are filled with our departed relatives...

It absolutely is pal, thank you.

It’s wonderful to think of the great times you and they would have had on those many supporters buses on the way into games.

My Great Uncle Jim had a brilliant singing voice on him and he wasn’t shy in sharing it with people, so that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. My Da used to say there was always singing on the bus from Kirky.
Many Rangers fans all over the world will in the coming days toast absent friends. I most certainly will. Lost a good pal In
December ( Celtic man) and many friends whom I will raise a glass to.

You were right to post, the Rangers family likes to hear these stories...

I lost my parents within the past year. Their bricks are still holding up the main stand, and I like to think that all those apparently empty seats this season are filled with our departed relatives...
God bless your parents mate, my Dad, them and all other departed Bears will be having a few whiskies / sherries in Blue Heaven as we speak...it is after all teatime on a Friday.

Thanks for posting.

Sorry for your loss mate. Your dad was only a year younger than me, too young.
I'll raise a toast to him and all our other absent friends when 55 comes.

Back