Rest players or try go unbeaten?

If I were to rest players it would be in the Scottish Cup, a completely devalued tournament both this season and last.

Go unbeaten but still rotate the squad.

There should be games from Scott Wright, Jermain Defoe, Jack Simpson etc to get some game time.

Going unbeaten would be absolutely magnificent.

Title, europe and experience for younger players ,undefeated in that order. It would be nice to go undefeated but the others are more important for the long term future of the club.

If the Scottish cup kicks off then rest. We can basically have our league team for Europe and SC, with our 2nd string playing league games after the weekend. poets won’t win in Dundee.

I don’t really care about invincible stuff. Just winning trophy’s.

Both.

Giving guys like Wright more of an opportunity to play shouldn't just mean we'll start losing games.

I hope we play players a more or less full strength line-up with a front line of Kent-Morelos-Hagi as we seem to play our best football when they play together. We don't look good when Aribo is playing over on the right wing, he seems to be better in the central left position.

Sometimes when Gerrard tries these experimental line-ups with players not playing in their best position, we just don't look good to watch.

Obviously Davis and Jack will need to be rested because of their age and injury problems. Keep Zungu's game time to the minimum if he is leaving in the summer and give other permanent players a chance.

Any players rested should be done with europa in mind. If we get past Slavia we have 2 more games in a QF and should have full focus on this.

If we need to play players to keep them sharp for bigger games. Play them.

I’ve always says you win the league the day you win it, anything after is irrelevant to me. We win league this weekend then we win the league unbeaten. Nobody gives 2 monkeys about what happens thereafter. Leave the invincibles patter elsewhere give me the Europa league semi over an unbeaten season.

Both, rotate where the science says we should, keep Europa as the new priority, keep winning in league and Scottish Cup. A double at the minimum with a potential treble. I’d not put out half strength teams, I’d put out 70% teams.

We must crush Kerrydale Street. League, Old Firm whitewash, Undefeated in league, Scottish Cup, Europa League are my 5 things I’d like to see.

You have to find a balance. We need to keep the players focused and match sharp. They don’t need a rest. I understand why people would prefer to protect them from picking up potential injuries, but injuries are just as likely to be picked up in training I would imagine. We can’t chop and change the team too much because it’ll end up being counterproductive.

I’ve always says you win the league the day you win it, anything after is irrelevant to me. We win league this weekend then we win the league unbeaten. Nobody gives 2 monkeys about what happens thereafter. Leave the invincibles patter elsewhere give me the Europa league semi over an unbeaten season.
Great post.

What a position to be in; win against St. Mirren and we need one point from six games. What we doing in the EL will now be the priority, after this next game, hopefully.

Last edited:
So few games yet two games against them to go. We'll play the strongest team against them. IF we're still in Europe then its about resting players in the league for the QFs etc.

Reactions: TN8
I’m confident our squad is good enough to go unbeaten and give Europe a crack, bit of rotation each game to keep people fresh.

Europe and the SC become the priority, that said I’m confident we will go unbeaten.

Priority list in order:

1. 55
2. Europa League
3. Scottish Cup
4. Unbeaten

Get the league won then Europe becomes the priority.

If the Scottish cup kicks off then rest. We can basically have our league team for Europe and SC, with our 2nd string playing league games after the weekend. poets won’t win in Dundee.

I don’t really care about invincible stuff. Just winning trophy’s.
There's no chance of being invincible anyway. St mirren beat us.

i do suspect once league is won

fringe players might be given nod in the domestic games

We win the league, by how many points who cares.
Looks like we will have a Scottish Cup to play for, mentally challengeds will go full belt to get that. We need a full team for the The Scottish and Europa League. The final league games to prepare fir next season.

Once the league is sown up I'd prefer to see us play gung-ho all out attacking football to try and score as many goals as possible and play entertaining football even if it means shipping some goals.

Unbeaten would be nice but for me it may be even more important to give fringe players their chance to show they are good enough to be here for next season and a rest to some of our players might give them a bigger spark of energy in most important games still to play?

Europe and Scottish Cup should now be the priority. Have never really been bothered about the unbeaten record, despite it being a great achievement in itself.

Players will be desperate to continue playing. Keep the momentum up and take it into next season.

Europe and the Scottish Cup should ensure strongest team each week.

Another wee stat. If this Rangers team wins 5 out of the last 7 games, they will have the second-highest win percentage of any Rangers team in the history of the Scottish top league. Only the 1898-99 which won all of their 18 games will beat them.

I would rest players for Europe. Unbeaten would be good, but a European shiny thing would be amazing.

Once the league is won then I'm all for resting players in league games if it keeps them fresher for European ties. We've a really good opportunity to get to the Quarter Finals and anything can happen from there.

Would also be resting all of our first pick players against Cove Rangers.

We will be lucky to ever be in the position we are currently in again so would be foolish not to use it to our advantage. The unbeaten record would be nice but there are more important prizes available.

I'm not massively bothered about unbeaten, it would be nice but Europe and the Cup takes priority.

Once the leagues won, i'd like to see a few of the youngsters get game time.

Possibly a daft view as ultimately it won't count as a record but if we win on Saturday and they drop points then it's just a great achievement to clinch the league unbeaten. It will just be six meaningless games afterwards, don't get me wrong I think we can do it but still think that's a great achievement especially as we will have more important games in cups to contend with.

When we win the league do we rest players and go all out for Europe or do we just rotate a couple players and try go unbeaten in league?
We have a choice. Unbeaten in league or unbeaten in Europa League. I know which I prefer

Id rest those involved at the euros otherwise they'll get no break between season ending and CL qualifiers and that might tell next season.

Couldn't give two fecks if we go unbeaten, means nowt, rest players and go all out for Europe.

When we win the league do we rest players and go all out for Europe or do we just rotate a couple players and try go unbeaten in league?
Go for the "invincibles"!
However if we get to semis and final of Europa rest a few key players and avoid situation in 2008!

Full strength Saturday !

It would be embarrassing to drop any points against St Boo after League Cup debacle. :))

Last edited:
Europe and the Scottish cup are far more important than an unbeaten league campaign.

I was for resting loads of players when Hibs were still in with a chance of second place. Mite as well go for unbeaten now.

Unbeaten.

Everything is within touching distance now and there's no reason to take the foot off the gas.

There’s no other league in the world that doesn’t count an unbeaten league season as invincible, if we win the league unbeaten, that’s what it’ll be.
It's nonsense. To be invincible we need to win every tournament we enter. Same as anyone else.

They will get all the rest they need,when the season is over.
Always strongest side on the field for me.;)

Keep them hot for Europe and the cup. That means playing them, but not burning them out. We're a bit threadbare in places though, so balance is required.

Prioritize the EL. The further we go the better positioned we’ll be for next season’s draw. Otherwise go unbeaten, I wouldn’t rest players too much as we want them match fit. Pull certain players after an hour, like we’ve been doing, is the best way to go, imho

Back