Returning Players: Squad Additions or Sell-able Assets?

Necro

I'm not going to be including every youth player that went out on loan as we'd be here all day but I thought it'd be interesting to get a consensus on the guys that are coming back, it's accepted that most aren't good enough but some could offer something new and some could be sold. We're going to be freeing up a fair bit on wages regardless.

Jak Alnwick: Played-34: Goals Conceded-51 :Clean Sheets- 6
Generally raved about on social media by Scunthorpe fans, would be a very capable number 2 should Wes leave but we could easily fetch a decent fee for him

Jason Holt: Played-35: Goals Scored-2.
Pretty poor return considering Docherty is thriving in the same league, I don't expect him to stay but he'd actually suit our current system quite well as a box to box midfielder, would get very limited game time though. Could we get a fee for him?

Greg Docherty: Played-41: Goals Scored: 9 :Assists-11
I think everyone wants to see him return and play a part next year, he's been a key player for Shrewsbury and has some of the best attacking stats in league 1, really excited to see him replicate it up here.

Jordan Rossiter: Played-8
Only been gone a couple of months but has seemingly picked up the man of the match reward every single week, Bury fans absolutely love him and he's apparently seemed every bit the player we thought we were getting when we signed him. Really encouraging that he's stayed fit.

Joe Dodoo: Played-24 : Goals Scored-6 :Assists-4
Awful return really, I hate to write young players off but how many unimpressive loan spells is that now? I think it's time to cut our losses and attempt to get rid, would anyone buy him though?

Eduardo Herrera: Played-18 :Goals Scored 3 Assists:1
Yet again, pitiful return. We're going to have to try and find a club willing to take him for nothing unfortunately, he's allegedly on pretty big wages so shifting him will free up enough for a decent signing hopefully.

Ryan Hardie: Played 15 :Goals Scored-5
It's worth noting that only 9 of his 15 appearances have been from the start, considering he was injured for months I think this record is pretty encouraging given it's in the top flight. Rudden's Falkirk form might change things here, we can't have both of them competing for a place in the squad. What do we do with him?

Interested to see if anyone thinks we should keep one of the less popular players.

I'd keep Docherty and Rossiter and loan them out again at a higher level for another season of regular football without much pressure.

Rossiter has just turned 21 and Docherty will be 23 in September so still got plenty of good years ahead of them.

I'd keep Docherty and Rossiter and loan them out again at a higher level for another season of regular football without much pressure.

Rossiter has just turned 21 and Docherty will be 23 in September so still got plenty of good years ahead of them.
Would need to give Rossiter an extension in that case would we not? Next year is his last year I thought.

Would need to give Rossiter an extension in that case would we not? Next year is his last year I thought.

Yeah he's got one more year. Wouldn't need to give him an extension but he could leave for nothing if we don't

Yeah he's got one more year. Wouldn't need to give him an extension but he could leave for nothing if we don't
Yeah exactly, even if we were to let him go for a minimal amount after next year I'd like to think we'd put in a sell on clause. Very little risk giving him an extra year compared to how much we have already taken.

Think we'll look to move them all on if we can get decent fees for them.

Hopefully Rossiter and Docherty will attract interest from The Championship.

Docherty, Rossiter & Hardie have another chance in my squad. The rest can leave if suitable bids come in for them.

It wouldn't bring in a lot of cash but supplemented with the sales of others it might give Gerrard a decent kitty to build from.

Keep Rossiter , and Docherty, loan Hardie for a make or break 6 months.

As an aside what a mistake bringing Davis back when we could have recalled Greg Docherty: Goals Scored: 9 :Assists-11

We could get small fees for most of them barring Rossiter due to his injury record and and Herrera because of his wages and the fact he is rotten

We'd not get money for most of them to be honest. Maybe a few 100k for Docherty. The rest would just be getting their contracts bought out if we could. No danger that anyone is paying any of Herrera's wages. Pedro gave him a 3 years deal? Fucking hell. :D Banter years indeed.

Joe Dodoo had some composed finishes in the limited game time he got with us. He looked like he had all the attributes to be a good player other than having the heart of a mouse.

Sometimes it is hard to judge players on loan. Look at Harry Kane he was out on loan a number of times and never had a great scoring return.

Some players also take longer to develop. Jamie Vardy was playing conference league till he was about 25.

Keep Rossiter , and Docherty, loan Hardie for a make or break 6 months.

As an aside what a mistake bringing Davis back when we could have recalled Greg Docherty: Goals Scored: 9 :Assists-11

I think he’s done loans to death. I’d keep him and give him game time. Docherty I’d have back too sadly I don’t see Steve Davis staying he just looks yards off the pace.

I'd like to see more of Rossiter in a blue jersey before we got rid, he's rarely featured for us and I think it's right we got the value for money we thought we were getting,the same with Doc,especially with the way Jack and Arfield blow got and cold.

Keep docherty, Rossiter and maybe hardie , don’t think Alnwick is too bad we could get a fee for him and holt

Keep Docherty, punt everyone else. Rossiter could turn into a useful player, but we have Jack, Kamara and McCrorie who are similar players. Plus, I don't trust his injury record.

Docherty still needs a chance surprised how many Bears are writting him off.

Imagine signing from Hamilton and going straight into a midfield with Sean Goss at 20 with no older pro to help you play for the biggest club in the country. FFS

Dominanted a Wolves midfield earlier this season deserves a fair crack!

As for Rossiter im not a fan and i would look to sell him 10k a week for 3 years and not put 3 games together

For me I would see how Docherty and Rossiter do in pre season and then make a decision. I would hope both would be good enough to be in first team squad.

I was screaming for docherty to be recalled in January. Rossiter could be another class player if he could just stay fit. We could have a future midfield 3 of docherty rossiter and mccrorie if they keep developing. I thought herrera was out of contract in the summer?

The squad needs trimmed. We can't continue to be contributing to wages of players who will never provide anything in return. Unbelievable that Dodoo was given a 4-year deal.

Being truthful, we need better than all of them going forward and wouldn't bat an eyelid on seeing them all told to find new clubs. We need to be improving the starting XI and pushing those currently on it to the bench, not swapping faces of those on the fringes unfortunately.

Liked Docherty but if his passing, awareness was composure hasn't improved, then he won't make it at Rangers.

I'd have Rossiter over Coulibaly, Davis and Jack. Still question marks over his fitness and we cannot afford any passengers next season.

The rest - move on.

Rossiter and Docherty are the obvious ones, but Greg certainly hasn't been brilliant for Shrewsbury every week.

He's had a good few poor games too and still has a bit to go to make our 1st team.

Rossiter has been far more consistent.

Back