Returning to Scotland. Where should I live.

grascots

Official Ticketer
I would appreciate some recommendations....

I currently live in Plymouth, but recently divorced and was made redundant. I am therefore considering relocating back to Scotland and also being semi retired. I quite fancy being able to watch us home and away again.

I have not lived in Scotland since the 1970's when I joined the Army. I am from Glasgow originally and have family there, but unsure about living the city life again.

Ideally I would like somewhere with reasonable house prices, bear friendly would be a bonus and within 40 miles of Glasgow ideally. I have looked on right move but have no idea whether an area is decent or not.

I would have asked this question in the lounge on the previous site so hopefully not inappropriate on here.

I would appreciate some recommendations....

I currently live in Plymouth, but recently divorced and was made redundant. I am therefore considering relocating back to Scotland and also being semi retired. I quite fancy being able to watch us home and away again.

I have not lived in Scotland since the 1970's when I joined the Army. I am from Glasgow originally and have family there, but unsure about living the city life again.

Ideally I would like somewhere with reasonable house prices, bear friendly would be a bonus and within 40 miles of Glasgow ideally. I have looked on right move but have no idea whether an area is decent or not.

I would have asked this question in the lounge on the previous site so hopefully not inappropriate on here.
I think I would pick ayr prestwick or Troon given the choice

Mate, nosy question, but if people knew a rough figure you could spend on your house, it would help. Rather than getting a wad of duff recommendations that maybe you could at afford.

Need more info.

40 miles radius of Glasgow is massive also.

Price and what are you looking for? Flat? house? 1 or 2 bed?
Area quiet? Local bars and restaurants? RSC? Bowling?

Lots of good place and within 15minutes train to centre. Need to find somewhere to get your hole old yin

Largs. Waiting room for heaven, might be some available snatch your age if you have the notion

Just a thought but have you ever considered moving to Northern Ireland? £250 to £300k would buy you a fantastic house over here.

There's a one bedroom flat going in Stirling for just over £50k. Looks an ideal bachelor pad and near the Fubar so any drunk victims won't take much dragging back.

Is the fubar still there lol , used to go every Friday night 25 years ago , didn't realise it was still open :)

Just a thought but have you ever considered moving to Northern Ireland? £250 to £300k would buy you a fantastic house over here.
Part of my reasoning was the ability to go to matches home and away. I would happily live in Northern Ireland but this would add to the expense of traveling to the matches.

House preferably
Areas within or bordering Glasgow I'd maybe look at would be Bishopbriggs, Lenzie, parts of Giffnock, Shawlands, heading away, Prestwick and Troon are good shouts.

The area of Pollokshields around Hutchy Grammar school is a good area, flat orientated though.

Why don't you spend a week or so in a few of the places and that way you should get a better idea of the area, housing and entertainment?

The locals will be frothing at the gash upon your arrival. Fresh meat with a pound in his pocket!

What interests do you have? Golf, bowls etc. No many Tim areas in Ayrshire.
I like golf but am useless. I like gardening hence my preference for a house. It would be good to have a bluenose pub nearby and a supporters club would be an added bonus.

I would try West Lothian area, west Calder, kirknewton etc. Depending on how much your willing to part with. Going closer to cities i.e Glasgow or Edinburgh means higher pricing but good luck and welcome back you good for nothing jock ;)

Why don't you spend a week or so in a few of the places and that way you should get a better idea of the area, housing and entertainment?
I might do after I shortlist. It's a fair journey from Plymouth so would want to whittle my list down to 4 or 5 locations.

I have seen a few properties in Ayrshire that I liked. My worst fear is ending up in some Tim area

Prices tend to be really good for houses down in Ayrshire.

I moved down to Galston for family reasons and its been a great move. Troon, Prestwick are nice wouldn't choose Ayr though.

Stirling a v good shout or a little further up A9 into Perthshire

Even Perth itself only an hour from Glasgow

Part of my reasoning was the ability to go to matches home and away. I would happily live in Northern Ireland but this would add to the expense of traveling to the matches.

If you joined a supporters club it would keep the cost down. Fans travel over to all the games.

I have a number of friends who moved here from Scotland and England and they love it. It's a big decision though and you want to make the right move for you.

Areas within or bordering Glasgow I'd maybe look at would be Bishopbriggs, Lenzie, parts of Giffnock, Shawlands, heading away, Prestwick and Troon are good shouts.

The area of Pollokshields around Hutchy Grammar school is a good area, flat orientated though.

Prestwick is a bit far out surely. I lived in Irvine for 6 months while working in Glasgow and the commute was murder even with a good train service.

Back