Returning to Scotland. Where should I live.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far, they are very much appreciated as estate agents unlikely to have a Rangers friendly filter on their website. ;)

Like the sound of Stevenston

The cross Keys is a proper rangers pub. I think there are about 6 buses leave from there. Others will be better placed to advise.

Strong masonic at 169 if you are looking to meet some good people and integrate

The cross Keys is a proper rangers pub. I think there are about 6 buses leave from there. Others will be better placed to advise.

Strong masonic at 169 if you are looking to meet some good people and integrate

That sounds a really bear friendly town. Will research properties

Sounds good mate. Are there a few good Rangers friendly pubs
Glen Roy in Balloch, McKenzies, the Bowling club and Masonic in the Vale. All of this and 25 minutes to Glagow on the train and Loch Lomond on your doorstep. I'm starting to sound like the tourist board here.

Have a look at Renfrew.
Some nice areas well within your budget and only 10 minutes from Ibrox.

You can also pop round and do my garden if you are keen.

I 2nd this. Renfrew is a short distance from Ibrox and 99% of the boozers are blue. Cracking wee toon that is near everything.

Thanks for all the positive comments so far, they are very much appreciated as estate agents unlikely to have a Rangers friendly filter on their website. ;)
A few decent suggestions hence my suggestion about staying in a few different places for a week at a time. It's a big decision that you are making.

I would appreciate some recommendations....
For that dough you could buy a flat on the Clyde near the City Centre, no taxis or buses and s walk or the underground to Ibrox for the games
I currently live in Plymouth, but recently divorced and was made redundant. I am therefore considering relocating back to Scotland and also being semi retired. I quite fancy being able to watch us home and away again.

I have not lived in Scotland since the 1970's when I joined the Army. I am from Glasgow originally and have family there, but unsure about living the city life again.

Ideally I would like somewhere with reasonable house prices, bear friendly would be a bonus and within 40 miles of Glasgow ideally. I have looked on right move but have no idea whether an area is decent or not.

I would have asked this question in the lounge on the previous site so hopefully not inappropriate on here.

So, Ayrshire and Renfrewshire seem to be overwhelming areas recommended. I have had a few from other areas such as Cambuslang but nothing from the Glasgow area. I guess I don't have sufficient funds to find a house in a nice area with a good garden, which is fair enough.

So, Ayrshire and Renfrewshire seem to be overwhelming areas recommended. I have had a few from other areas such as Cambuslang but nothing from the Glasgow area. I guess I don't have sufficient funds to find a house in a nice area with a good garden, which is fair enough.

Eaglesham is popular. So is Lochwinnoch. I don't know Eaglesham but wouldn't touch Lochwinnoch

If I move again I'm probably going to Prestwick, great wee place. Have a look OP, there are loads of hotels with deals on where you could stay then go and have a look around.

Have a look at Peebles in the Scottish borders mate cracking place to live and you would get a decent property for your budget.probably an hour hour and a half commute.
Kevin Thomsons uncle lives here so its blue enough, with a smattering of poets thrown in

I think Edinburgh might be too pricy for me. is it a one bedroom flat :)
Edinburgh is getting pricier and pricier. I live near the new ERI and soon Sick Kids and the house prices have rocketed because of this, we are selling up next year and moving out the city and West Lothian is our preferred destination. Getting a lot more for your money

You defenitly have sufficient funds to get a cracking house with garden in Bishopton/Inchannan/Renfrew areas. Have a look around places on Google maps/the net.

Have a look at Peebles in the Scottish borders mate cracking place to live and you would get a decent property for your budget.probably an hour hour and a half commute.
Kevin Thomsons uncle lives here so its blue enough, with a smattering of poets thrown in
Sounds like it is certainly worthy of consideration

Only one shout for Larkhall?
My best mate lives there, cracking town.
No need to worry about bumping in to many of them, staunch as!
And close to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, with plenty of supporters buses and a Friday Parade every July!

If I move again I'm probably going to Prestwick, great wee place. Have a look OP, there are loads of hotels with deals on where you could stay then go and have a look around.
Thanks mate, will look up Prestwick

I have seen a few properties in Ayrshire that I liked. My worst fear is ending up in some Tim area

In Ayrshire?

You'd need to be really unlucky for that to happen. They've have supporters club but you'll find they have to pick up in quite a few towns to fill them.

Only one shout for Larkhall?
My best mate lives there, cracking town.
No need to worry about bumping in to many of them, staunch as!
And close to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, with plenty of supporters buses and a Friday Parade every July!
Initial thought was this would be a good town, but don't know much about facilities, crime etc.
I have seen a few properties I liked online and might have a look.

My first choice would be the mearns you'd get a lovely house for that kind of money, 5/10 minutes from silverburn you've also got the best supporters club in the southside the clarkston loyal.

I stay in kilmaurs and would say Dunlop is nice but not much going on it's very quiet although your 25 mins on the train from Glasgow.

ok my humblest apologies. I thought you were accusing me of being a tim, I am hyper sensitive to that and over reacted.

Initial thought was this would be a good town, but don't know much about facilities, crime etc.
I have seen a few properties I liked online and might have a look.
As said my best mate lives there, crime went up when the gypos were there, but generally decent. Good houses with big gardens, where he lives. And his mother-in-law moved into his street a couple of years ago, having spent time there. I like it a lot myself, and if I was to leave Devon and head home, it would definetly be high on the list!

I live in Stepps , 6 miles from the city centre but plenty of country side great road links and a railway station.

My first choice would be the mearns you'd get a lovely house for that kind of money, 5/10 minutes from silverburn you've also got the best supporters club in the southside the clarkston loyal.

I stay in kilmaurs and would say Dunlop is nice but not much going on it's very quiet although your 25 mins on the train from Glasgow.
Sounds ideal and will research

I seen a few houses I liked near Larkhall. I know it is a good Rangers area but don't know much about the town apart from that.

Pretty simple mate,top end's not so great but bottom ends mostly decent especially near Merryton Train Station.Ferniegair next to Chaterherault Park is nice but very pricey and not far away from cheaper houses no more than two miles away at start of Larky.Two bowling clubs,two supporters clubs,Junior team(larkhall thistle) for when the Rangers are away from home next door to one of said bowling clubs.
Merryton is 10 mins. walk max from the Tavern(good pub) and other bowling club.
Shops are nothing to write home about but there's an Asda,Co-op,banks,fishmongers,butchers etc.

More in Hamilton less than ten mins. by car or on the train

Latest posts

Back