Richard Gordon (the hater)

He was brought up to "hate Rangers", the only thing that matters where he earns a living. Certainly isn't talent.

I guess this is known by everybody these days but, just in case,
Richard Gordon told us on a live programme that he was brought up to hate Rangers.
It appears he has never grown out of it.

I always found this a very strange comment - presumably aimed at creating an impression.

Given that he was born in 1961 just where was the animosity among Aberdeen fans to Rangers in those days?

Rangers fans sang the 'Northern Lights of Aberdeen' at the Ibrox Disaster match (because Aberdeen were seen as more likely title challengers that season). Older fans will tell stories of staying overnight in Aberdeen after matches at Pittodrie.

I genuinely can't recall real friction between the sides before Alex Ferguson became manager. There had been a couple of flare-ups on the park but I along with most other Rangers fans supported Aberdeen in the 1983 ECWC Final.

The arrival of Souness seemed to change a lot but by that time Gordon was in his late 20s.

I always found this a very strange comment - presumably aimed at creating an impression.

Given that he was born in 1961 just where was the animosity among Aberdeen fans to Rangers in those days?

Rangers fans sang the 'Northern Lights of Aberdeen' at the Ibrox Disaster match (because Aberdeen were seen as more likely title challengers that season). Older fans will tell stories of staying overnight in Aberdeen after matches at Pittodrie.

I genuinely can't recall real friction between the sides before Alex Ferguson became manager. There had been a couple of flare-ups on the park but I along with most other Rangers fans supported Aberdeen in the 1983 ECWC Final.

The arrival of Souness seemed to change a lot but by that time Gordon was in his late 20s.
Said to make him seem relevant, hip, interesting. There was no hatred - barely a rivalry - between the clubs in he 60s & early 70s. Love that he's still bitter. As we climb upwards domestically & in Europe & his team sink back to irrelevance, so does he.

Correct re 83.
Proud of them so I was.
Going one further, I spent the summer of 1970 as a sheep fan.
Right up till the first day of pre season training.

Loved reading his defence / apology when my brother took it all the way with BBC complaints process about his comments re Sebo.

‘ l‘ve never been put in this position in my entire journalistic career’

Will see if l can get a copy of his full statement.

He is what it wrong with our game. Too many in the media wanting to hate the game to death than promote it. In England a 0-0 bore fest with no shots on target would be talked up in Scotland anything with Rangers winning or a poor game is treated like the game is dying and it’s had an effect on tv deals and sponsorship.

You're quite correct there.
Aberdeen, Hearts and Kilmarnock were always considered to be "Rangers friendly" in those days.
There's been a poison being spread amongst their supporters against Rangers for decades now, I originally put it down to the "Man Utd effect" where resentment to the successful establishment clubs causes resentment but I'm beginning to think it's now something more political/sectarian/bigoted.
Clowns like Dick Gordon certainly fan the flames of division and don't help in the slightest.

Loved reading his defence / apology when my brother took it all the way with BBC complaints process about his comments re Sebo.

‘ l‘ve never been put in this position in my entire journalistic career’

Will see if l can get a copy of his full statement.
Forgot about that one. A detestable prick of a man.

As an individual, he is entitled to his preferred prejudices.

However, using the national broadcaster to advocate his bigotry is not, and that is why posters here get annoyed, and justifiably so.

Dick by name, dick by nature.

Could not agree more BB, you have called it spot on.

I remember his Sebo “joke”. I think he said on air that they had run this comment past their legal dept and he was given the ok to use it. I did write to the BBC to complain but got nowhere.

If shameless fc had only played like rangers .... if only shameless fc had comeback from being twice behind.

If only shameless fc had scored a last gasp winner .... dick would be telling everyone what a great final it was.

It
Dick has an article in the P&J today regarding the 'classic Scottish Cup finals' being shown on the BBC.

He (quite rightly) lauds the Motherwell 4 Dundee Utd 3 game recently shown. "It was a game that had absolutely everything and pulsated with drama from the first minute to the last; a real joy to watch."

No argument from me there.

Why does he then have to go on and say "Tomorrow night's offering is the 2002 final which, if I'm honest, doesn't particularly excite me..."

If he actually was being honest his description of that first game could quite easily be applied to the 2002 final. His Rangers hating knows no bounds though - an absolute prick who in no way should be the presenter of the main radio football program in the country if he can't offer some sort of neutrality that allows the promotion of one of the great Scottish Cup finals (he's a prime example of the poison that pervades our game).

That's it - rant over.
It doesn't excite him because we won and deservedly so

We all know this dick (!!) hates us so why do we continually go on about him.
Just ignore him. He, as well as his employer, are really not worth a second of our time.

Where were his principles when he was doing the 9iaR end of season videos? Maybe he was young and needed the money, poor wee lamb

Dick has an article in the P&J today regarding the 'classic Scottish Cup finals' being shown on the BBC.

He (quite rightly) lauds the Motherwell 4 Dundee Utd 3 game recently shown. "It was a game that had absolutely everything and pulsated with drama from the first minute to the last; a real joy to watch."

No argument from me there.

Why does he then have to go on and say "Tomorrow night's offering is the 2002 final which, if I'm honest, doesn't particularly excite me..."

If he actually was being honest his description of that first game could quite easily be applied to the 2002 final. His Rangers hating knows no bounds though - an absolute prick who in no way should be the presenter of the main radio football program in the country if he can't offer some sort of neutrality that allows the promotion of one of the great Scottish Cup finals (he's a prime example of the poison that pervades our game).

That's it - rant over.

I don't like Gordon but - in this particular instance - I'm not going to lose much sleep because he said he "wasn't particularly excited" about a TV re-run of an old game between us and Celtc.

The guy is another arsehole. But when you think of it a fan of a diddy club is bumming up a diddy club final, I think that’s really all here. But he is a hater!

An Aberdeen fan, hates Rangers, writing in an Aberdeen paper....he's hardly going to promote our match, is he? He's going to play to the crowd. Don't let it bother you and move on.

Back