Richard Gough (deserves a thread of its own)

deano1981

I was discussing on the Ant Middleton thread how I felt that Rangers had let my old man down on his 70th birthday last month. I had contacted our SLO in advance to explain that my dad had been at Ibrox every second week for 60 years. He had brought 3 sons up into the Rangers traditions, kitting us out in strips every season throughout our childhood. We now in turn, attend our home games, and bring our kids up the same way he did us. I asked our SLO for a signed birthday letter from Steven Gerrard, as I feel my dad has more than paid his dues over his life. After weeks of chasing him up, he eventually phoned me a few weeks late to say that he couldn't get Gerrard to sign one as there was a lot of requests, but DJ or Hateley would do it instead. While my dad was pleased that he got one, from DJ, I felt that the club didn't repay him for his loyalty the way in which they should,

In contrast,

I contacted Richard Gough via Facebook and explained my dad's loyalty to the club and gereral love for it, and asked if he could maybe do a video birthday message that I could play at my dad's birthday meal.
He replied that same day to say that while he'd be happy to do a video, he would rather meet him in person. He told me he would be coming to Glasgow in March, and would contact me on arrival so we could make arrangements to bring my dad to his hotel for a coffee and a chat.
I got a Facebook message from him at 6:45am a couple of weeks later to say he had arrived, and gave me his mobile number to call him. I called him that night (not going to lie, I was shaking a bit when I was dialling). He arranged for me and my dad to come to his hotel for a coffee, just before lunch on the day we played Kilmarnock. The concierge was expecting us, and showed us into a quiet lounge area that Gough had arranged.
He came down and chatted Rangers with me and my dad for 45 minutes, and was an absolute gentleman. He had been at Eric Caldow's funeral the day before, and told us that "Mr Caldow" was who he grew up judging other Rangers captains against. I got to tell him that, growing up in the 80's/90's, that's what Richard Gough is to me.
Anyway, he made my dad's 70th birthday one that neither he or I will ever forget.
He epitomises everything a Rangers captain should be.

I get where you’re coming from but I also get the clubs stand on it as well, think how many hundreds of thousands support the club & they must get inundated with birthday requests, charity requests and the likes

I’ve spoken to Richard online a few times and he’s been fantastic each time, a nicer person you’d struggle to come across.

I was discussing on the Ant Middleton thread how I felt that Rangers had let my old man down on his 70th birthday last month. I had contacted our SLO in advance to explain that my dad had been at Ibrox every second week for 60 years. He had brought 3 sons up into the Rangers traditions, kitting us out in strips every season throughout our childhood. We now in turn, attend our home games, and bring our kids up the same way he did us. I asked our SLO for a signed birthday letter from Steven Gerrard, as I feel my dad has more than paid his dues over his life. After weeks of chasing him up, he eventually phoned me a few weeks late to say that he couldn't get Gerrard to sign one as there was a lot of requests, but DJ or Hateley would do it instead. While my dad was pleased that he got one, from DJ, I felt that the club didn't repay him for his loyalty the way in which they should,

In contrast,

I contacted Richard Gough via Facebook and explained my dad's loyalty to the club and gereral love for it, and asked if he could maybe do a video birthday message that I could play at my dad's birthday meal.
He replied that same day to say that while he'd be happy to do a video, he would rather meet him in person. He told me he would be coming to Glasgow in March, and would contact me on arrival so we could make arrangements to bring my dad to his hotel for a coffee and a chat.
I got a Facebook message from him at 6:45am a couple of weeks later to say he had arrived, and gave me his mobile number to call him. I called him that night (not going to lie, I was shaking a bit when I was dialling). He arranged for me and my dad to come to his hotel for a coffee, just before lunch on the day we played Kilmarnock. The concierge was expecting us, and showed us into a quiet lounge area that Gough had arranged.
He came down and chatted Rangers with me and my dad for 45 minutes, and was an absolute gentleman. He had been at Eric Caldow's funeral the day before, and told us that "Mr Caldow" was who he grew up judging other Rangers captains against. I got to tell him that, growing up in the 80's/90's, that's what Richard Gough is to me.
Anyway, he made my dad's 70th birthday one that neither he or I will ever forget.
Firstly, happy birthday to your dad.

What Gough did there was excellent and glad he did that
Thats better than a letter from anyone.

Lastly, the current players and management are pretty inaccessible to fans and this is getting worse year on year though if you do bump in to any they tend to be very nice and friendly. Its difficult to get current players for functions etc and sadly it seems to be the way it is now with players instructed not to stop for fans when leaving training etc not sure why it is like this now but Greg would have been telling the truth.

While I get where you're coming from regarding getting a message from SG I think it's just easier that the the club adopt a policy whereby they don't grant such requests.

I, and I'm sure the club, can see that your dad has been a fantastic supporter over the years but if they responded positively to all such requests I'm sure SG would have little time to do his actual day job.

I'm sure it could be argued that after 60 years attending games your dad maybe deserved the recognition but where would the line be drawn with the requests? - 50 years is also impressive, as is 40, 30 etc. so where would we set the qualifying line for such requests?

Anyway, hopefully your dad had a great birthday and enjoyed the message from DJ and meeting Richard Hough, whoever he is ;)

I get what you are saying but the club must get hundreds of requests on a daily basis. Other clubs have adopted a policy where requests are denied unless it is an official club charity event.

To even get a response with what they said is still quite decent.

No offence but it comes across as a little entitled that you expect so much tbh.
I completely disagree. I thought it was great what the club did for Ant Middleton, but I also thought that if they can have a guy who only said on a Radio station that he prefers Rangers into meet the manager, then they should also be willing to reward the fans who put plenty into the club. Some people do get letters from the manager, so I wasn't asking for something that the club don't provide.

I completely disagree. I thought it was great what the club did for Ant Middleton, but I also thought that if they can have a guy who only said on a Radio station that he prefers Rangers into meet the manager, then they should also be willing to reward the fans who put plenty into the club. Some people do get letters from the manager, so I wasn't asking for something that the club don't provide.

Ant Middleton is hardly just someone who said on the radio he prefers rangers is he? He is very high profile ex serviceman and TV personality.

While I get where you're coming from regarding getting a message from SG I think it's just easier that the the club adopt a policy whereby they don't grant such requests.

I, and I'm sure the club, can see that your dad has been a fantastic supporter over the years but if they responded positively to all such requests I'm sure SG would have little time to do his actual day job.

I'm sure it could be argued that after 60 years attending games your dad maybe deserved the recognition but where would the line be drawn with the requests? - 50 years is also impressive, as is 40, 30 etc. so where would we set the qualifying line for such requests?

Anyway, hopefully your dad had a great birthday and enjoyed the message from DJ and meeting Richard Hough, whoever he is ;)
I get your point mate. It would be hard to distinguish between requests. I felt that because it had been forgotten about, and dragged on beyond his birthday, they wanted to send out the quickest thing they could. To be honest, DJ wasn't a bad replacement as my oldest brother was named after him.

Ant Middleton is hardly just someone who said on the radio he prefers rangers is he? He is very high profile ex serviceman and TV personality.
That he is, but I don't get the impression he is a massive bluenose, although that probably may have changed after last week. The purpose of the thread wasn't to discuss Ant Middleton, as I have nothing but respect for the guy, and what he's done.

For the old man's 80th we arranged with Sandy Jardine to meet with him pitch side
it was great

well done Richard for this great gesture

and w ell done to your dad

like him my old man has been home and away now for 78 years and still never misses

For the old man's 80th we arranged with Sandy Jardine to meet with him pitch side
it was great

well done Richard for this great gesture

and w ell done to your dad

like him my old man has been home and away now for 78 years and still never misses
I love hearing things like that mate. It's things like that for me that lift a club from being a good club, to a great club. Well done to your old man.

Outstanding from Gough, unbelievable effort from him in all honesty.

I think you're being unduly harsh on the club/SLO. The fact that they managed to get DJ/Hateley to sign a card is excellent and it's a pity you didn't appreciate it. Surely with your dad being 70, a huge Rangers name like DJ will mean more to him, with the contribution he made, than Gerrard? There's also a huge swathe of older bears who've dedicated a huge part of their life to Rangers, it's not Clintons cards you're in touch with.

My da turns 60 this week and has been going all his life, I'll see if the SLO can hook him up with a few pints and a kebab with Gerrard ;)

Credit to the club and Gough.

I get that you thought the club could do more, and that they must get hundreds of requests. I don’t think you were expecting too much for a signed Birthday card, although I’d have thought the club would have a standard “Happy Birthday signed Steven Gerrard” print.
Putting that aside, wow that’s exceptional from Gough, he truly was a leader and a Rangers captain, and it seems he always will be.
You and your dad were very privileged.

Outstanding from Gough, unbelievable effort from him in all honesty.

I think you're being unduly harsh on the club/SLO. The fact that they managed to get DJ/Hateley to sign a card is excellent and it's a pity you didn't appreciate it. Surely with your dad being 70, a huge Rangers name like DJ will mean more to him, with the contribution he made, than Gerrard? There's also a huge swathe of older bears who've dedicated a huge part of their life to Rangers, it's not Clintons cards you're in touch with.

My da turns 60 this week and has been going all his life, I'll see if I the SLO can hook him up with a few pints and a kebab with Gerrard ;)

Credit to the club and Gough.
I get your point mate, but I could have started another thread with all the trials and tribulations of getting anything, including a reply from the club SLO.

I only put a brief description of my dealings with Rangers to show the contrast in how Richard Gough had went above and beyond for a fan.

What an absolute gentleman. Read his autobiography and even retired, he still sees himself as captain of Rangers and says he would never do anything to embarrass the club or himself.

Petty debates aside (I fully understand the clubs stance).

What a brilliant gesture from Gough. Just reinforces everything I said about the man in the thread I put up yesterday. The epitome of a Rangers captain and Rangers representative. The gold standard.

Take a bow King Richard by the way. Loved gough growing up. Don't think I will ever see a better rangers captain in my lifetime (I'm 39). The man epitomised everything you would want in a gers captain.

Excellent to hear, nice one OP. Just one of the reasons we approached Goughie for the Lanzarote Loyal’s weekend here in June 2020. Been great to deal with so far and really looking forward to him being here.

Petty debates aside (I fully understand the clubs stance).

What a brilliant gesture from Gough. Just reinforces everything I said about the man in the thread I put up yesterday. The epitome of a Rangers captain and Rangers representative. The gold standard.
Definitely mate. I didn't put up the thread to cause debate. It was to show how far Richard Gough is willing to go for a fan.

Definitely mate. I didn't put up the thread to cause debate. It was to show how far Richard Gough is willing to go for a fan.

I know mate, although many disagree with your stance on the SLO (even I do to a degree) it would be nice if people could keep the focus on Gough’s gesture.

I’m really jealous too, he’s THE Rangers captain of my lifetime and someone I’ve grown up idolising. Ps, I’d have been a stuttering stumbling mess chatting to him on the phone.

I get your point mate, but I could have started another thread with all the trials and tribulations of getting anything, including a reply from the club SLO.

I only put a brief description of my dealings with Rangers to show the contrast in how Richard Gough had went above and beyond for a fan.

Yep, I get what you mean, the effort from Gough is unreal.

Well done to Richard Gough.I know the Club will do what they can in situations such as this but I think this is an area where the Club can engage better with the fans.These requests should be handled by a PR/Marketing team.Stevie G I am sure could find time to sign the bottom of a few letter heads now and again.
My daughter's partner has had 4 generations going to Ibrox as season ticket holders at the same time with ages ranging from 70s to a six year old.The Great Grandad has pretty much stopped going but I think there must be many stories that would be good pr for the Club and some recognition for loyal fans.

Don't really see what the Club have done wrong here. There will be, literally, hundreds each year with the same story as your dad, the first team and management need to be focusing on their tasks. Getting something from an older player that your dad spent many happy years watching is arguably more meaningful for him.

Reactions: Gee

In contrast,

Excellent from Gough a true Rangers man.

In contrast,

Great story, worthy of a thread indeed, not just for its portrayal of the Gentleman that Richard Gough continually proves to be, but for the testimony of the great contribution your father gave in both his support of our club and his rearing of our next generation of Rangers supporters.

Your father is the very lifeblood of this club and the reason that Rangers are such a successful and important cultural jewel.
Without your father, there would be no Richard Gough story's to tell our grandchildren.
One hand indeed washes the other.

The Middleton thing was obviously a PR exercise. The guy has a huge social media following, with around a quarter of a million on Twitter alone. A quick, cheap and easy way to get some good publicity for the club out to an audience we normally wouldn't reach. Just don't think we're comparing like for like. Two completely different situations. Delighted to hear big Goughie is the same class act he has always been though.

Great story, worthy of a thread indeed, not just for its portrayal of the Gentleman that Richard Gough continually proves to be, but for the testimony of the great contribution your father gave in both his support of our club and his rearing of our next generation of Rangers supporters.

Your father is the very lifeblood of this club and the reason that Rangers are such a successful and important cultural jewel.
Without your father, there would be no Richard Gough story's to tell our grandchildren.
One hand indeed washes the other.
Very well put mate. Thanks

Much as Struth will always be the benchmark of a Rangers manager, Gough will always be the epitome of a Rangers captain for me.

A man of talent and courage on the pitch but dignified and generous off it . A born leader.

I know mate, although many disagree with your stance on the SLO (even I do to a degree) it would be nice if people could keep the focus on Gough’s gesture.

I’m really jealous too, he’s THE Rangers captain of my lifetime and someone I’ve grown up idolising. Ps, I’d have been a stuttering stumbling mess chatting to him on the phone.
I was mate haha. I ended up telling him about our new pup shitting in the house. Babbling wreck I was.

Fantastic from Mr Gough, in my humble opinion our finest ever captain for the way he represented the club both on and off the field, and clearly continues to do so. King Richard epitomises Rangers.

Outstanding stuff.

Any one of us here would have loved that.

Great gesture, well done to you and happy birthday to the old bear. Chat and a coffee with one of our greatest ever captains.

Back in the 80s the Aberdeen and Dundee Utd players would appear at Toledo Junction in Paisley on a Saturday night. (I think they used the Excelsior at Glasgow Airport when they were down in Glasgow). Anyway, me and my mates ended up in Richard Gough's company. When we asked him when was he joining Rangers he said 'I would crawl over broken glass to sign with Glasgow Rangers'. Luckily for us he got his wish a few years later.

Last edited:
Back