Richard Gough gesturing to Jean-Pierre Papin

Not2shabby

During a world cup qualifier at Hampden in 1989, Scotland won 2-0, Richard Gough directed the wanker gesture to Papin.
It was clearly seen on TV and raised a cheer from the crowd. I can't find a clip, does anyone have the clip or remember what lead up to the gesture?
I know the full match is on YouTube but I don't really want to watch the full thing.
I wonder what the punishment would be if it happened present day in the Scottish Premiership?

During a world cup qualifier at Hampden in 1989, Scotland won 2-0, Richard Gough directed the wanker gesture to Papin.
It was clearly seen on TV and raised a cheer from the crowd. I can't find a clip, does anyone have the clip or remember what lead up to the gesture?
I know the full match is on YouTube but I don't really want to watch the full thing.
I wonder what the punishment would be if it happened present day in the Scottish Premiership?
Punishment - Rangers player 12 game ban - Celtic player just a bit of good natured fun , no case to answer.

Its a wonder gough was playing, roxburgh and i think mainly craig brown wouldnt pick him.
Likely seeking attention as brown was a nobody.

I thought he withdrew himself from selection because he didn't rate the coaches, Roxburgh and Brown. It was a while back though, so kind of hazy.

Did he no fall out with them later on, I reckon after the 5-0 skelping from Portugal when super ally broke his leg, something to do with not wanting to play head down thumbs up on the flight home

It could well have been after that game mate, my memory isn't great :(

Its a wonder gough was playing, roxburgh and i think mainly craig brown wouldnt pick him.
Likely seeking attention as brown was a nobody.
I’m sure i was at a sportsman’s dinner with either the goalie or bomber and they said browns job was to colour in the tape on the players socks so they were the same colour

Did he no fall out with them later on, I reckon after the 5-0 skelping from Portugal when super ally broke his leg, something to do with not wanting to play head down thumbs up on the flight home

It looks like you are on the money mate.

I actually detest brown, mind he did a speakers do no long after Manchester and spoke about rangers getting fecked by zenit, that was our tables que to go to the bar. Bitter bitter wee man that he is,

Was it not the Portugal game? where a taxi driver told Roxburgh a Portuguese striker (Rui Barros?) wasn't fit & Roxburgh picked the team using that as gospel. Said player played & scored after about 3 mins? Gough then let Roxburgh & Brown know what he thought of their "management".

Was it not the Portugal game? where a taxi driver told Roxburgh a Portuguese striker (Rui Barros?) wasn't fit & Roxburgh picked the team using that as gospel. Said player played & scored after about 3 mins? Gough then let Roxburgh & Brown know what he thought of their "management".

This is starting to ring a bell. Cheers mate.

You're entitled to your opinion, but can I ask why it's ridiculous?

You've plucked a memory from thin air of an incident in an international match 30 years (yes 30) ago and tried to shoehorn it into something about the SPL and punishments.

Ok, I take it back. It's maybe not ridiculous, just random oddness.

Back