Richard Gough gesturing to Jean-Pierre Papin

During a world cup qualifier at Hampden in 1989, Scotland won 2-0, Richard Gough directed the wanker gesture to Papin.
It was clearly seen on TV and raised a cheer from the crowd. I can't find a clip, does anyone have the clip or remember what lead up to the gesture?
I know the full match is on YouTube but I don't really want to watch the full thing.
I wonder what the punishment would be if it happened present day in the Scottish Premiership?

I actually remember this from watching it live, one of these wee daft things that stick in your brain for 30 years, even though I cant remember what I had for my dinner 3 days ago. Was a horrible wet night, Platini was their manager I think, and Mo Johnston put away a couple. Think he was playing for Nantes at the time, when he was at the top of his game.

I think they had had a wee bit of a ding dong, and it memory serves Gough was squatting at the time whilst talking to another player, dont recall Gough making a big show of it, just a throwaway gesture, while Papin was walking away from him. I dont think any issue was made of it at the time, those wee sort of things were not blown up at the time, unlike they are now. I think the commentator, possibly Archie McPherson said something along the lines of 'Gough showing Papin his displeasure with him' or something like that.

You've plucked a memory from thin air of an incident in an international match 30 years (yes 30) ago and tried to shoehorn it into something about the SPL and punishments.

Ok, I take it back. It's maybe not ridiculous, just random oddness.

Not at all. I found a blog about the 1990 world cup qualifiers. It mentioned the Gough /Papin incident. I tried finding a clip, as it did jog my memory, but couldn't remember exactly what went on. I'd like to see it again. I had no idea that incidents from 30 years ago were not permissible on FF.
The punishment comment at the end of my post is merely an observation as to how acceptability and tolerance has changed.

Not at all. I found a blog about the 1990 world cup qualifiers. It mentioned the Gough /Papin incident. I tried finding a clip, as it did jog my memory, but couldn't remember exactly what went on. I'd like to see it again. I had no idea that incidents from 30 years ago were not permissible on FF.
The punishment comment at the end of my post is merely an observation as to how acceptability and tolerance has changed.

I did try to edit my post to put a :D onto it as on quick reflection I was being a grump., apologies mate.

Different rules and all over acceptance back in the day of rivalries. Nowadays there'd be bans and fans calling for prosecutions for abuse.

I'm going to have a rum.....:D

I did try to edit my post to put a :D onto it as on quick reflection I was being a grump., apologies mate.

Different rules and all over acceptance back in the day of rivalries. Nowadays there'd be bans and fans calling for prosecutions for abuse.

I'm going to have a rum.....:D

No trouble at all. It is refreshing that we, as in Bears, can hold our hands up and admit mistakes. Respect and enjoy your rum. I'm jealous :(

Was it not the Portugal game? where a taxi driver told Roxburgh a Portuguese striker (Rui Barros?) wasn't fit & Roxburgh picked the team using that as gospel. Said player played & scored after about 3 mins? Gough then let Roxburgh & Brown know what he thought of their "management".

He also fell for the Costa Rican trick in 1990. Apparently they leaked to the press that they were sit scared of Alan McInally, when in reality they were terrified of the McCoist/Johnston pairing who had a great season with us. Guess who Roxburgh picked?

I also remember reading Andy Goram's book I think it was. Brown's Scotland team were playing a qualifier at Ibrox. Brown said the changing room was too big and got someone to put hampers up halfway through the changing room to half it in size. Goram's normal peg was just the other side of the hampers and understandably he wanted to sit at his own peg. Brown then tried to have a go at him.

Brown was and still is a nobody.

I also remember reading Andy Goram's book I think it was. Brown's Scotland team were playing a qualifier at Ibrox. Brown said the changing room was too big and got someone to put hampers up halfway through the changing room to half it in size. Goram's normal peg was just the other side of the hampers and understandably he wanted to sit at his own peg. Brown then tried to have a go at him.

Brown was and still is a nobody.

Surely not. Was this logic ever explained?

To be fair, our medical 'team' and advice pretty much fucked Brown's career. You'd feel aggrieved too.

I am almost certain it is in Andy Goram's book. I was trying to find it to check but I must have lost it. Can anyone who has read the book confirm?

It would make sense mate. Rangers players playing for Scotland at that time were winners and had high standards. Superficial shit wouldn't have been in the Rangers DNA.

During a world cup qualifier at Hampden in 1989, Scotland won 2-0, Richard Gough directed the wanker gesture to Papin.
It was clearly seen on TV and raised a cheer from the crowd. I can't find a clip, does anyone have the clip or remember what lead up to the gesture?
I know the full match is on YouTube but I don't really want to watch the full thing.
I wonder what the punishment would be if it happened present day in the Scottish Premiership?

Was it not Christophe Dugarry he made the wanker sign to?

It would make sense mate. Rangers players playing for Scotland at that time were winners and had high standards. Superficial shit wouldn't have been in the Rangers DNA.

Totally agree bud. Total losers mentality. Instead of worrying about what colour the tape on someone's socks is, he should be concentrating on making sure he gets his message across to the players. Making sure they know the tactics and know their jobs. Also picking players as they were 'good lads' instead of actually picking the best players in the country at the time. You know the players who were winning trophies left right and centre. That practice still continues to this day as well. Winners don't worry about socks. They are focused on the challenge ahead. And Brown also didn't like the fact that our players were genuine stars.

The guy got famous because of Richard Gough and Davie Robertson. And he is the reason for me turning my back on the national side in the 90's. I actively hope they get humped now.

I seem to recall Christian Dailly making that gesture to a German player who missed a chance during a Scotland qualifying once.

Made me laugh at the time.

He also fell for the Costa Rican trick in 1990. Apparently they leaked to the press that they were sit scared of Alan McInally, when in reality they were terrified of the McCoist/Johnston pairing who had a great season with us. Guess who Roxburgh picked?

Remember seeing an interview with Roxburgh and he was talking about the standards he expected from players.
He told a story of a Scottish youth player who shouted "Let's get into these Eskimos" before a game against Iceland. Roxburgh ended the story with " Not surprisingly, he was never selected again"
He always gave the impression he was just the head teacher and you had to follow the school rules.

Remember seeing an interview with Roxburgh and he was talking about the standards he expected from players.
He told a story of a Scottish youth player who shouted "Let's get into these Eskimos" before a game against Iceland. Roxburgh ended the story with " Not surprisingly, he was never selected again"
He always gave the impression he was just the head teacher and you had to follow the school rules.

Guys like him should be nowhere near a national side.

Was it not the Portugal game? where a taxi driver told Roxburgh a Portuguese striker (Rui Barros?) wasn't fit & Roxburgh picked the team using that as gospel. Said player played & scored after about 3 mins? Gough then let Roxburgh & Brown know what he thought of their "management".

ffs that’s like a manager nowadays picking a team based on something they read on Twitter.

As other posters have said Roxburgh and Brown were glorified school football coaches, the very fact they got near a national side defies belief.

Back