Richard Gough - Post Rangers

Cooper 11

I would have been in my mid teens at the time, but wondering everyone’s recollections of King Richard’s departure from the Rangers.

If I remember correctly he had stated his intent to leave at the end of season 96/97 (9iar) to finish his career in the states.

nintchdbpict000000863329.jpg

I seem to remember my old man had said he was going there to top up his pension in the MLS, but I find it hard to think of that being the case as I don’t think it had anything like the money it has now and he signed for Kansas City Wizards, hardly a big name or sexy team.

Goughy came home a few months later to fill in during an injury crisis, poor early season form and scored the winner on his “debut” against the tims in attempt to push us to 10.

(Side note: What a double save from Goram & what was Gough doing in the box, but what a finish!)

Gough and most of our 9iar hero’s left at the end of that season and although he returned to the the States to sign of San Jose Clash, he was quickly back in the UK on loan to Forest, then teaming up with Sir Walter again at Everton where he played 60 games over 2 seasons in the Premiership up to the age of 39.

Given he was the ultimate professional and still in top shape to this day that shouldn’t come as a surprise.

But what really was the reason for his departure from Rangers first time around?

Did he think the writing was on the wall with the big money signings of ‘97 (Amoruso etc)?

Why didn’t he fancy potentially captaining us to 10? (This one still rankles the most with me)

Was it a case of him playing in the states, then realising he missed the professionalism of the British game that made him return 3 times?

He likely done his stint here, he has stayed in the states for over 20 years .
Maybe came back to everton to top up the pension.
He was around 35 in 1997, i remember a game where we got pumped by dundee utd at home early 97.
Sure he got pulled at half time.
I remember the game as i took my pregnant wife to it, afterwards i told her shes a bad omen and aint coming back.

Really thought he'd go on to be a great manager. Didn't happen for whatever reason. If our current squad collectively had his mentality, we'd be unstoppable. Certainly domestically. We've shown we can play that lot off the park, but we just don't have that winning mentality. Not sure it's something you can teach or coach though, as Stevie G clearly has the same mentality as Gough.

I seem to recall him coming back and being at a game in which we absolutely trounced someone like Dunfermline and the noise when each goal went in was absolutely deafening.

Was still brilliant for Everton playing in the EPL at nearly 40 years old.

A consummate professional who drove the standards of everyone else in the team higher. I’m too young for Greig, but for me Gough will always the epitome of what I want from a Rangers captain.
There is a lot of talk now about how many players we need to be signing to win the title - however just one player with the leadership skills of Gough would do the whole team so much good.

“Gentlemen, you know what is required”

He likely done his stint here, he has stayed in the states for over 20 years .
Maybe came back to everton to top up the pension.
He was around 35 in 1997, i remember a game where we got pumped by dundee utd at home early 97.
Sure he got pulled at half time.
I remember the game as i took my pregnant wife to it, afterwards i told her shes a bad omen and aint coming back.

He must have been knackered in the second half.

Players like him just don't exist now. Not the same breed of character.

I will say though that when I saw him speak at an event (Warburton years) he was very negative and you could see why maybe the character didn't translate to management.

If I remember correctly when he was at Livingston he kept them up but did not stay on and surprisingly I don’t think he has had any other managerial jobs, always thought this was strange as you would think he would make a great manager.

The sad thing is we just couldn't afford a player of Gough's quality nowadays,he had everything from ability to leadership qualities,I really think 1 or 2 players with his ability and talent and we'd be exactly where we all want to be.

If I remember correctly when he was at Livingston he kept them up but did not stay on and surprisingly I don’t think he has had any other managerial jobs, always thought this was strange as you would think he would make a great manager.
When you way up ally, mccall, gough , butcher, d robertson, i cannot think of anyone thats done well in management from 9iar.

His book was a good read. There’s a part in it when he talks about how even after leaving, he sees himself as the captain of Rangers and would never do anything to tarnish the reputation or embarrass the club.

So how does his book describe the rational of leaving us first time round in ‘97 having just won 9 in a row?

Any reason for not staying to captain us 10?

Also curious about his thoughts on his time in the US and with Forest & Everton.

He was i think a rightback with dundee utd when they won the league in 83.
I suppose narey/ hegarty were the centre halfes.
He was a cracking player at right back for Dundee United and Scotland only when he went to Spurs he played centre half. When he joined us he intially played at right back and then moved to centre half when Butcher broke his leg and the rest is history.

I would have been in my mid teens at the time, but wondering everyone’s recollections of King Richard’s departure from the Rangers.

If I remember correctly he had stated his intent to leave at the end of season 96/97 (9iar) to finish his career in the states.

I seem to remember my old man had said he was going there to top up his pension in the MLS, but I find it hard to think of that being the case as I don’t think it had anything like the money it has now and he signed for Kansas City Wizards, hardly a big name or sexy team.

Goughy came home a few months later to fill in during an injury crisis, poor early season form and scored the winner on his “debut” against the tims in attempt to push us to 10.

(Side note: What a double save from Goram & what was Gough doing in the box, but what a finish!)

Gough and most of our 9iar hero’s left at the end of that season and although he returned to the the States to sign of San Jose Clash, he was quickly back in the UK on loan to Forest, then teaming up with Sir Walter again at Everton where he played 60 games over 2 seasons in the Premiership up to the age of 39.

Given he was the ultimate professional and still in top shape to this day that shouldn’t come as a surprise.

But what really was the reason for his departure from Rangers first time around?

Did he think the writing was on the wall with the big money signings of ‘97 (Amoruso etc)?

Why didn’t he fancy potentially captaining us to 10? (This one still rankles the most with me)

Was it a case of him playing in the states, then realising he missed the professionalism of the British game that made him return 3 times?
Very good question. Given how he talks about us yet, it is hard to believe he never saw out his career with us.

Gough was not only a fantastic player, he was an absolutely tremendous captain. We have had many great players, but very, very few leaders in the Gough mould.

Did his ex wife not move to the states with his kids and he wanted to be closer to them, or was that after he stopped playing and the reason he only managed Livingston for a short spell?

Looking back it was nuts to pay £4 million for Colin hendry when we could’ve just kept gough

If we are honest Gough's second spell was not very good. He was a shadow of the player who left the year before. The defence was a mess that whole season. Bringing him back didn't solve anything.

As for Hendry, to this day I cannot wrap my head around paying £4m for a guy who was 33 and completely unsuited to the style of football the new manager wanted.

Last edited:
If we are honest Gough's second spell was not very good. He was a shadow of the player who left the year before. The defence was a mess that whole season. Bringing him back didn't solve anything.

As for Hendry, to this today I cannot wrap my head around paying £4m for a guy who was 33 and completely unsuited to the style of football the new manager wanted.
I’m sure the story was that David Murray decided to purchase Colin Hendry for some reason.

I’m sure the story was that David Murray decided to purchase Colin Hendry for some reason.

He was afraid there wasn't enough Scottish voices in the dressing room. So he got the most Scottish guy imaginable. A Hot Shot Hamish lookalike who cut about in a tartan suit.

Seriously. That's the reason.

A consummate professional who drove the standards of everyone else in the team higher. I’m too young for Greig, but for me Gough will always the epitome of what I want from a Rangers captain.
There is a lot of talk now about how many players we need to be signing to win the title - however just one player with the leadership skills of Gough would do the whole team so much good.

If I remember correctly, he was lauded in England. He was a rock in the Everton defence.

Think his

Think his missus at the time was set on going to the States, and given he had young kids at the time, he decided to had to go as well.

I
He’s seriously not bikram yoga, he goes to the place my Male uses when he’s in town.

Too young to remember John Greig, Gough - my idea of the epitome of what a Ranger should be.

Gough and John Brown for me
I am old enough to remember John Greig, and those three would be my top 3 Rangers men.

That Livingston side are the worst team I've ever witnessed in the Premier Division. They should have renamed the stadium after him keeping then up.

Gough was a perfect professional.

He dovetailed perfectly with Butcher (after his leg break) for those two seasons before Butch went rogue.

In all honesty I'd have Greig at number 4 before Gough in my time as a leader.

But what a servant Richard Gough was. A true Rangers great.

What does Richard do now, as a living, I have met him a few times mostly at NARSA events, he is at all times approachable, unlike some former Rangers. My interest is, what job or jobs does he do. He is a fantastic front man, a perfect person, ambassador if you will, for any legit company. Having spoken to him a few times ,I have not had the gall to inquire as to his occupation, we at Rangers should have him holding the Rangers flag where ever he goes. He has look the style and deportment of a winner.

What does Richard do now, as a living, I have met him a few times mostly at NARSA events, he is at all times approachable, unlike some former Rangers. My interest is, what job or jobs does he do. He is a fantastic front man, a perfect person, ambassador if you will, for any legit company. Having spoken to him a few times ,I have not had the gall to inquire as to his occupation, we at Rangers should have him holding the Rangers flag where ever he goes. He has look the style and deportment of a winner.
Richard is our Worldwide Ambassador, Him and his wife are involved in property

Does anyone know exactly why he fell out with Brown and Roxburgh?

Brown wanted the squad to play board games for some team building. Gough told him to funk off.

Typical of the school teacher mentality around the Scotland camp in those days. Back then you’d have though professionalism at the SFA could only get better. That appears to be the high watermark.

Back