Ridvan Yilmaz

Wouldn't be shocked to see him back in Turkey in January.

Why would this be , do you not think he is good enough or do you think the lad is homesick?

For what’s it’s worth I think he is more than good enough and will become our first choice left back .

Beale like his full backs attacking as far as I know and from the little we've seen of him I think Yilmaz is more comfortable going forward than Borna.

Borna seemed very reluctant to get over the halfway line a lot of the time but I guess if the handbrake is off he may get forward more.

He looks a very good prospect, and offers something different to Borna. I hope he stays, as he could become a big player for us and make us a few quid in future, especially if he becomes Turkey’s first choice LB.

We need 2 quality players for every position anyway, especially if we are playing 60 odd games every season. No problem if both he and Barisic are getting games.

Mad as it sounds, but I reckon you would also get a tune out of him at inside right. He is left footed, has pace, and can dip a shoulder and drive past players. Would be a better bet for me than anyone we currently have, albeit I sincerely hope we get someone in that can play that inside right / inverted 10 in January.

I'd like to see him get games when fit see how he does. But there's also a reason Borna at the world cup over everyone else.

So FF, what do we reckon will become of Ridvan, will he become another expensive waste and end up back in Turkey in a cut price deal, or has he come back revitalised ready to knuckle down after having a few weeks away and maybe having a few heart to hearts with family members. Could working with Beale get him going.

Your post alludes to him not having the right attitude? I don't see that. Injury aside, I've yet to see him given an opportunity.

FWIW I think he'll play a big role in how Beale sets the side up and wouldn't be surprised to see Barisic depart in January if there is any post WC interest.

If we were given the options of two strikers in the summer

Jason Cummings
Erling Haaland

Which one would you take given there is a reason one is at the World Cup and the other isn't.
That's nothing to do with what I said. Barisic a good player I'm sure if he was a bad player he would not be at the world cup.
I think he is unfairly criticised at times.
Yilmaz due to injury and Turkey not qualifying could never be at this world cup.

This was not a comparison of Yilmaz and Barisic it's more that Barisic out of all our players could still make the world cup, he's not as bad a player as some seem to think.

That's nothing to do with what I said. Barisic a good player I'm sure if he was a bad player he would not be at the world cup.
Yilmaz due to injury and Turkey not qualifying could never be at this world cup.

This was not a comparison of Yilmaz and Barisic it's more that Barisic out of all our players could still make the world cup, he's not as bad a player as some seem to think.

It is though, because the reason is,

A player being at a World Cup over others from a totally different country is an utterly redundant point

Barasic is too unpredictable.

He can be a marauding Balkan psycho one week and a gutless pansy the next.

Yes, I agree he is but overall for us he's been a very good player for very little investment.

No player at us is going to be top notch or they would not be playing their trade in the SPFL, the good players like Bassey, Aribo, Patterson are quickly scouted and go to better leagues.

I'd expect him to be our 1st choice left back. Much better going forward and will help Kent on that side with overlapping runs
Hopefully the lad will get his chance, however Barisic is very good going forward and overlapping Kent, his problem is he can't defend, hopefully Yilmaz can.

Yes, I agree he is but overall for us he's been a very good player for very little investment.
I don't disagree, just don't think he has the heart to prove himself consistently to a new manager.

Think this is his 6th season and he's struggled majorly at times.

Another league, less pressure is probably best now.

It'll be one of those strange footballing conundrums where we had a world class left back as our manager and he had no idea how to get the best out of him, Beale will come in and he will start to thrive.

I think both full backs will make up pretty much the entire width in our team now and that will suit him.

To be fair, Gio did well with Bassey although most of his development came as a cb.

The first major thing Gio did when he started was neuter our FBs. Maybe a full on attacking FB in Yilmaz was the opposite of what he wanted, hence the lack of chances.

I can see him being our first choice under Beale.

I don't disagree, just don't think he has the heart to prove himself consistently to a new manager.

Think this is his 6th season and he's struggled majorly at times.

Another league, less pressure is probably best now.
Fair enough it's all about opinions at least you can formulate a decent debate.
No one will agree on every player.

Borna will keep the spot till most likely February, when he plays himself out the team and ridvan will play till the next season IMO

Its extremely difficult to forget him collapsing to his knees for that goal at The Piggery, before the c*nt had even made the shot at goal.

Borna will keep the spot till most likely February, when he plays himself out the team and ridvan will play till the next season IMO
I think the worry with Yilmaz is the injuries issue not his style of play.
The first game at Ibrox looked nervous and didn't do too well but pulled up due to a hamstring.
Cup games played well and looked good done an awesome wee trick for one of the goals, Aberdeen's game looked exceptional and was standing out and pulled up his Hamstring again.

Looked OK going forward but got concerns that he's up to the physical side of our gam but id give him a run in the side to prove me wrong. There's no way we're getting £2m for Borna as has been said, be lucky to get £500k.

Yilmaz made complete sense given how poor Borna was last season. Still by no means perfect, but been one of our better players this season which I'm sure surprised everyone.

Your post alludes to him not having the right attitude? I don't see that. Injury aside, I've yet to see him given an opportunity.

FWIW I think he'll play a big role in how Beale sets the side up and wouldn't be surprised to see Barisic depart in January if there is any post WC interest.

My post doesn't allude to anything, It was to see what everyone's thoughts were, it was a simple will he make it or won't he. I also think he will do well, as long as he's happy and settled.

I'm amazed how many people are excited by him ,hardly played after costing lots of money
Jury is definitely out

Going with Barisic in the long run would monumentally daft on our part. His best days are long gone. You want to talk about this team being stale and lacking freshness - he's as big a culprit as anyone.

The club have made so much noise about Yilmaz being the future that we have no choice but to go with him.

FWIW I reckon Beale will be itching to see how he can develop him.
This is a nutshell in a nutshell.

Yilmaz made complete sense given how poor Borna was last season. Still by no means perfect, but been one of our better players this season which I'm sure surprised everyone.
I think it certainly helped in terms of competition we need the same for Tavernier.

So FF, what do we reckon will become of Ridvan, will he become another expensive waste and end up back in Turkey in a cut price deal, or has he come back revitalised ready to knuckle down after having a few weeks away and maybe having a few heart to hearts with family members. Could working with Beale get him going.
My prediction now remains the same as it was several months ago

He’ll end up back in Turkey by the summer permanently.

He will be Borna’s replacement at some point so maybe a loan spell maybe an advantage to him and us
No loans. Most players that we put out on loan never make it with us. It’s almost like a holding pattern. I would like to see him stay and fight for a place. He is a good player.

There's a player in there. There's no doubt about it.

Yer man FootballStewart on Twitter has pointed out that despite being an attacking full back, he is not particularly good at crossing, preferring quick forward passes into the center of the park. His runs more central areas of the park for the most part. It'll do Ryan Kent no harm at all to have a full back who isn't either 30 yards away from him, or standing on his toes.

So Beale will likely tweak things if as I would expect (and hope) he takes Bornas place once he is fit.

He set the tone for the gubbing we gave Aberdeen a few weeks back.

What's the point of a fans forum if not to discuss the team we support, why are you even here? Us fans dont really know anything that's going on at the club, if that's the bar for entry we may as well never speak about anything.
Why am I even here? Well to read a variety of opinions on various topics. It's impossible though, to have an informed opinion on a player who, for a variety of reasons, has barely played for us yet. It's not the case we need never speak about anything. We've seen plenty of players, managers, coaches etc past and present to be able to offer an informed opinion. Yilmaz just isn't yet one of them.

Back