Ridvan Yilmaz

That’s the weird thing, prior to GVB Borna was always overlapping and was a huge threat from wide areas.

I had assumed GVB wanted him to stay a bit deeper and it exposed his defensive weaknesses.
The biggest problems in the Barisic game are, firstly, allowing players to come from behind him at the back post and, secondly, his, what seems to be his natural instinct, to turn back.

The biggest problems in the Barisic game are, firstly, allowing players to come from behind him at the back post and, secondly, his, what seems to be his natural instinct, to turn back.
The first has always been a bit of an issue, we just got away with it more thanks to the central defenders and McGregor.

I don’t feel like he went back anywhere near as much under Gerrard but that could be me just focussing on the good parts of his game.

I'm not sure.
If we want to progress and move forward we need to upgrade our back line. Do you get that upgrade just by swapping Barasic and Yilmaz of do we need to think about others in the backline also?

Really hopeful that the gaffer can get the best of him! On the limited viewings, I've been impressed with his contributions!

From what little I've seen of him, I was quite impressed, and with the change of style of play which will suit him, I don't think he's going anywhere

I think it’s safe to say Borna played his best stuff under the Gerrard coaching team, you wonder with Beale returning do we see that old Borna again? I’d personally like us to move on with Yilmaz

I'm not sure.
If we want to progress and move forward we need to upgrade our back line. Do you get that upgrade just by swapping Barasic and Yilmaz of do we need to think about others in the backline also?
I’d say we need at least 1 new CH and a back up RB as well. But Ridvan can definitely be first choice LB in my opinion.

It was one of GVBs big downfalls for me. He seems really strange with pretty much all new players. Aside from Colak I think everyone sits on the bench, was getting bedded in, was ‘injured’, was adjusting the the new club and country. It was very odd to me

He had good moments against Napoli, and was great against Dundee. He has genuine class on the ball, seems eager and enthusiastic, although needs to work on defensive positioning. He's a top talent
So based on some good moments in a game we lost 3-0, and played well against a championship team, we have decided he is class and a top talent??

Meanwhile our regular left back is in a world cup squad that has made the last 16

There's something in him. The way he carries himself on the pitch reminds me a bit like Pedro Mendes. Hardly needs to look at his feet when on the ball and has a variety of passes in him. That's all good base level stuff for us to build from.

So based on some good moments in a game we lost 3-0, and played well against a championship team, we have decided he is class and a top talent??

Meanwhile our regular left back is in a world cup squad that has made the last 16

Hardly a comparison considering Turkey aren’t even at the WC and the fact Barisic hasn’t played a single minute.

I think he'd be great as the left-sided sitting midfielder (where Kamara used to play under Gerrard).

Tenacious, good passer, looks to go forward more often than not and set the tempo.

Would allow Borna to worry less about defending and just bomb forward.

He may be a poet but how can anyone say he's class

The jury's well and truly out on him but had a very good rep before joining us
At this point, there’s no reason for a jury.
Three games an “the jury is out”!
Can we not just give the lad a decent chance?

Back