Ridvan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed for 5 years, not 5 weeks.

We don't have the money to waste on a five year project.

This guy was signed to play, that is obvious due to the money we spent and the form that Borna was in at the time.

Then Gio saw the kid, and has obviously thought nah not using you.

Communication and recruitment must improve, Wilson needs to go.

It's a very good point mate, but no matter how we want to badge it, in general he's done nothing to deserve to be dropped, he is a confidence player undoubtedly so dropping him to see if Ridvan is ready could see us have his confidence dip and if Ridvan then blips, we're kind of fecked. This is a decision I think GvB is getting right.

The defence has lost 2 goals or more in a game in just under half our games this season.

There shouldn't be a single player in that back four who can consider themselves bullet proof in that circumstance

As much as I want to see him, Borna has been one of the very few players who are actually putting in a shift in recent times.

What kind of message does that send to the player himself and to the rest of the team?

I swear if most folk on FF became a manager they'd lose the whole dressing room within the first week.

It's a very good point mate, but no matter how we want to badge it, in general he's done nothing to deserve to be dropped, he is a confidence player undoubtedly so dropping him to see if Ridvan is ready could see us have his confidence dip and if Ridvan then blips, we're kind of fecked. This is a decision I think GvB is getting right.
the good old 'confidence' excuse.

I think its a major get out excuse for average/below average players.

An exciting young prospect who isn't getting a sniff due to bornas upturn in form.

The jersey is rightly bornas ATM. We need to be patient.

Surely got to start or at least have some sort of involvement on Saturday. He won’t play against liverpool so it will become a case of him just wasting away sitting on the bench most weeks.
Turkeys best left back and same for besiktas.

Also, his best attribute is overlapping runs which will give kent more options and should help his game.
Cant see borna being dropped. Hes been one of the better players so far. Bring him on if we are cruising but starting him untested against hearts wouldn't be smart IMO

Yeah, there's a lot of negativity around at the moment. I think it originates from the manager to be honest. The football being served up is turgid pish, wins or no wins, it can't go on. I think the players themselves sense this too.
As regards the board/off field stuff, nobody would give a rats ass if we were playing well and winning.
I expect more boring crap tomorrow.
This is exactly where it comes from he is hopeless tbh, everyone can see how the team are playing and it needs changed but as you say tomorrow will be the same turgid passive crap, fed up watching it.

To be fair the theory is that you should have 2 quality players for each position so at least left back has that.

You do feel for him a bit though as he hasn't had much of a chance.
I know what you mean mate but we should have signed a LB that was ready to go, even i could see he was never going to be ready in time.

Barisic doesn't deserve to be dropped at the moment. Given his previous though I dare say it won't be too long before Yilmaz gets his chance.

It's actually the right hand side of the defence that's our biggest problem at the moment, but lots of people want to turn a blind eye to that because of the 2 players involved.

He never played a minute for Turkey so can’t be their best LB at the moment
He doesn’t get game time for us because not only is he not our best LB either our current LB has been our only decent performer of late.

Liverpool back in the 60s and 70s use to bring in players ,give them 6 months to get use to their style of play , environment etc then introduced them into the team. I suspect we are doing something similar. Borna is playing well, the young lad wil be improving his physicality , English and getting use to our style. Let's see where he is in January. At the moment Borna is doing great.

Don’t think he started for Turkey during the internationals did he?

Tynecastle isn’t somewhere that I’d be giving him one of his first starts though.
He was on the bench. Probably as he's hardly played for us since he signed. Borna will be nailed on to play v hearts and Liverpool. He'll need to bide his time. I'm sure he'll come good for us soon enough.

My goodness what a wonderfully insightful response. I bow to your superior intellect.
It genuinely is insightful though isn't it, if someone points out how incorrect you are on an issue? We signed him in July. Not 5 weeks ago. You're welcome

Surely got to start or at least have some sort of involvement on Saturday. He won’t play against liverpool so it will become a case of him just wasting away sitting on the bench most weeks.

Also, his best attribute is overlapping runs which will give kent more options and should help his game.

Would you drop one of our most consistent performers this season and start at him at Tynecastle?

Also, if he’s Turkey’s best left back why didn’t he start (or even play in) any of their games this past international break?

Everyone needs to stop worrying. We will be 4-0 up at half time . Then we can give yilmaz the second half!!

What's more worring considering how poor our right wing is. Why can't matondo get him self in the team.

the good old 'confidence' excuse.

I think its a major get out excuse for average/below average players.
I agree actually, but there is no doubting it with Borna. Remember that time he let out a squeal in a game, I think it might have been St Mirren and Gerrard was less than complimentary in the post match interview and his form just fell off a cliff. Some players are like that, he seems to be one of them and I'm not sure I'd class him is average or below average.

The defence has lost 2 goals or more in a game in just under half our games this season.

There shouldn't be a single player in that back four who can consider themselves bullet proof in that circumstance
True. But I'm not convinced the answer is to throw a 21 year old into the pit.

What was the point in signing him?
Because at the back end of last season Borna was “pish, coward, empty jersey” three of the many things he was called on here.
It would have been very unprofessional of the club not to sign another left back, which we did one sought after with room to grow.
Cue Borna to be “ fantastic, first name on the team sheet”.
If you can’t understand why he was signed May I humbly suggest going and watching water polo because football isn’t for you.

Because at the back end of last season Borna was “pish, coward, empty jersey” three of the many things he was called on here.
It would have been very unprofessional of the club not to sign another left back, which we did one sought after with room to grow.
If you can’t understand why he was signed May I humbly suggest going and watching water polo because football isn’t for you.
And if you cant understand why he’s not playing right at this moment, then football isnt for these people either. It’s clear Borna is playing well.

What we want from our "modern-football" wing-backs is that they bomb forward and provide assists. Both can do that and Ridvan has shown that he is even more willing to shoot than a certain winger that is used as a striker/attacker and doesn`t score. Not away to Hearts, yet I would like to see both covering our left flank and inter-change positions, doing the winger`s job. Move Kent inside or even play a goal-scoring striker instead of him. We create about 20 to 30 chances per game, but only convert a fraction due to the fact that we use but one striker and non-scoring attackers.

But we need a better, creative midfielder now. Why did we spend one of our larger transfer fees on a guy for next season?

It doesn’t make sense.
Your comment doesn’t make sense , Borna was gash at the end of last season , we needed a left back , we bought one at the top of our budget only for Borna not be gash.
Don’t worry I will make it simple , Borna will be gash again soon, then we will see if Ridvan can improve our left hand side.

Borna has been decent in attack but still completely unable to block a cross ball and most teams attacks come down his side. He's targeted for a reason. I'd like to see Ridvan get a chance.

Aye that’s a great post, you clearly don’t know football either if you think signing a left back for a huge amount of money and was never going to be ready to play for the start of the season was a good idea. If Borna was as bad as that then someone should have been brought in to replace him, not have him sit on the sidelines because he isn’t ready to play.

Your comment doesn’t make sense , Borna was gash at the end of last season , we needed a left back , we bought one at the top of our budget only for Borna not be gash.
Don’t worry I will make it simple , Borna will be gash again soon, then we will see if Ridvan can improve our left hand side.

ok, I’ll also make it simple.

We signed a player for a substantial fee for a position we already have a player in, and didn’t sign someone for a position we have no-one in. And tbf we finished the season a lot stronger than we did starting it.

That looks like poor use of funds.

ok, I’ll also make it simple.

We signed a player for a substantial fee for a position we already have a player in, and didn’t sign someone for a position we have no-one in. And tbf we finished the season a lot stronger than we did starting it.

That looks like poor use of funds.
It’s amazing how some people don’t quite get this point.

I get why we'd sign him if we were minted but GVB knowing his budget and that we're not apparently minted should have spent the money wiser, ideally to improve the starting 11.
To be fair I doubt many thought Borna would be doing as well as he has this season. Plus 6m replacement from a 20m sale. It's the 4m for Davies that's more mind numbing.

Liverpool back in the 60s and 70s use to bring in players ,give them 6 months to get use to their style of play , environment etc then introduced them into the team. I suspect we are doing something similar. Borna is playing well, the young lad wil be improving his physicality , English and getting use to our style. Let's see where he is in January. At the moment Borna is doing great.
We don't have a style of play.

Borna’s been in good form of late and will hold onto the jersey tomorrow and Tuesday. I’d be looking to use Yilmaz next weekend.

The player that we need to see in the side tomorrow is Davies.

A few issues.
Since he's came here Borna has become probably our most consistent performer.

You mention the overlaps, but if you watch us, Borna actually plays a lot of the match as a left CB of a 3 lately while Tav is up the other end as a RW. With the odd foray forward here and there.
Unless that changes I can't really see Yilmaz coming in to that system.
That kind of system is actually better for yilmaz than the type to be overlapping and whipping in crosses. Looking at some clips, yilmaz is a lot more comfortable passing the ball into midfield which is what that position needs in Gio’s system. Yilmaz looks a much better ball carrier and passer of the ball whereas borna has the better cross on him.

Barisic doesn't deserve to be dropped at the moment. Given his previous though I dare say it won't be too long before Yilmaz gets his chance.

It's actually the right hand side of the defence that's our biggest problem at the moment, but lots of people want to turn a blind eye to that because of the 2 players involved.
The main issue is not having a settled experienced partner next to Goldson, that’s the main issue in our defence. Sands isn’t a centre back and king isn’t ready to be a first choice centre back yet. He was alright against Dundee Utd but was at fault for their goal by letting the guy turn him.

Again it’s just another case of Gio’s inability to use the squad. Borna has played well this season but let’s not overegg it. He’s played well going forward whipping balls into the box but he’s still been the weak same old borna when it comes to defending. He’s a liability defensively at times.

Yilmaz should have been far more involved at this point in the team because borna will break down at some point with Gio not rotating them. Plus yilmaz suits Gio’s style of play far better than borna does. He’s a lot more comfortable on the ball in terms of passing and carrying the ball.

Just throw him on!

It doesn't matter how good Borna is playing or if Yilmaz is settled/fit/ready/injured/in the country just chuck him on anyway!

There is nothing to suggest he is our best left back. Barisic has been the best of our back line this season.

The boy is just settling in to a new country culture and is still not fluent in English, are Celtic fans asking the same of the left back they paid more for and is getting kept out the team by Greig Taylor ?
Their new left back isn’t playing because he is rotten. I watched a few of their pre season games and he was embarrassingly bad which is why he hasn’t featured since.

Not sure where you get the “Turkeys best left back”

He’s not started any competitive games for them and only made 6 appearances. He’s unused more than he is used when he is in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back