Right Back for the upcoming SPL games - who ?

I think Balogun is only out for a couple days. Am sure Gerrard said this just after the game last night.

We saw fit to use Patterson last Thursday therefore no reason not to play him on Wednesday if available - even more so that he is actually Tav's back up.

We saw fit to use Patterson last Thursday therefore no reason not to play him on Wednesday if available - even more so that he is actually Tav's back up.
There is much sense in playing Patterson against both Livi and St Mirren, given the stage of the season we are at. On the other hand, Balogun is suspended for the first match against Slavia and were Patterson to pick up an injury we would be in the doo-doo.

Most probably be dictated by whether Balogun is fit or not but its another difficult one for Stevie G.

Spot on. Not sure how the SFA or SPFL can act on something happening outside of football at all, obviously they already have with our first 2 cases but doesn’t sit right at all, surely they govern football in Scotland and this was away from football
The police fined them for their breach and the club has disciplined them also. the SFA "shouldn't" do any more but then we don't play in green and grey so they probably will.

Balogun vs Livingston and their hoofball on that artificial monstrosity of a pitch.

Patterson vs St Mirren and their highly likely to be bus parking tactics. Assuming he isn't banned by then.

There is much sense in playing Patterson against both Livi and St Mirren, given the stage of the season we are at. On the other hand, Balogun is suspended for the first match against Slavia and were Patterson to pick up an injury we would be in the doo-doo.

Most probably be dictated by whether Balogun is fit or not but its another difficult one for Stevie G.
You’ve got to take your chances and play your best available players. It would be worth playing Patterson in as many games as possible to get him used to playing in the team.

You’ve got to take your chances and play your best available players. It would be worth playing Patterson in as many games as possible to get him used to playing in the team.
Up until half-time Stevie G thought Balogun the best available player. He may still feel that way, who knows?

Someone suggested earlier that, if fit, Balogun should get the Livi game. There's sense in that argument too, given the pitch and the looming EL game where he is suspended. Throw in the fact that we are potentially asking Patterson to go from barely kicking a ball to a run of high pressure games after a fortnight away from the training pitch and I think we will see both over the next week, subject to Balogun's fitness.

I haven't played in a few months and RB not really my position but I'm willing to offer my services free of charge.

I think the very worst case is Arfield has to drop back their

is leon king even training with the first team squad?
He's been on the bench recently, so I assume so.

Am I correct in that only Jones and Edmunson were actually suspended for Covid issues?
None of the Aberdeen players, celtc players or any others who have been ticketed for violations?

Patterson if available. If not then Balogun. Beyond that then it will be who is fit and available and wouldn't be a complete fish out of water. So probably Jack or Arfield would be the first couple the manager would consider. If not them then it's a case of filling the shirt somehow. Or maybe even changing shape.

It's been 2 weeks and nothing from the sfa. Why are people so convinced they will do something?
Because Gerrard intimated as much in his post-match interview v Antwerp. Throw in the fact the Club said we’d been talking to the SFA and the ScoGov about the five, plus the fact the Compliance Officer post was vacant for several weeks until today, when the new incumbent started.

Am I correct in that only Jones and Edmunson were actually suspended for Covid issues?
None of the Aberdeen players, celtc players or any others who have been ticketed for violations?
Bolingoli got a 5 game ban, with 2 of the games suspended.

He also violated travel bans, brought it back to his teammates and played in a game. A bit different than getting together with a handful of couples and not mixing outside of that environment.
Hey Bud, only answering your question ‘Am I correct in that only Jones and Edmunson were actually suspended for Covid issues’.:)

No point in asking, if you already knew all the detail.

I still don't get why its assumed Patterson will be banned. Why should he when others recently have broken covid rules without penalty or suspension.
Exactly. I’m not aware of any bans or punishments for Celtic’s wee jaunt and then Neic’s tinfoil hat meltdown. If they hit our players, questions need to be asked.

Hey Bud, only answering your question ‘Am I correct in that only Jones and Edmunson were actually suspended for Covid issues’.:)

No point in asking, if you already knew all the detail.
No problem, can't always share "tone".
I honestly didn't know he was suspended. So he got 3 games for his, much more serious violations and our 2 got 7 games for much less.

No way I'd be accepting a ban for our 5 players.

Jumping on the stupidity of bans, not you.

No problem, can't always share "tone".
I honestly didn't know he was suspended. So he got 3 games for his, much more serious violations and our 2 got 7 games for much less.

No way I'd be accepting a ban for our 5 players.

Jumping on the stupidity of bans, not you.
No worries mate, words on a page don’t always come across as intended.

I agree there is a ‘discrepancy’. I suspect the SFA counter-argument would be that they are ramping up punishments because the deterrent wasn’t deterring:

Aberdeen Seven - 3 games, all suspended.
Bolingoli - 5 games, 2 suspended.
Edmundson/Jones - 7 games, 0 suspended.

Patterson for me but I expect a citation to be handed out any day now.

Obviously if he avoids it then I'd be playing him until Tav is fully fit again. Although he lacks experience compared to Balogun you seen on Thursday night the way we play as a team, he brings the balance.

Although Balogun won't come up against a player like Lukaku much domestically so he'd be fine if Patterson does get suspended.

I'm a bit surprised we haven't Heard anything. It was 2 weeks today since the breach. Isn't that usually the time frame? If we don't hear anything by the end of the week, then I assume they aren't perusing it?

I'm a bit surprised we haven't Heard anything. It was 2 weeks today since the breach. Isn't that usually the time frame? If we don't hear anything by the end of the week, then I assume they aren't perusing it?
The new Compliance Officer only took up post today I think. On-field incidents have been dealt with by other means but off-field incidents will be in his In Tray waiting for him.

Clare Whyte was supposed to remain in post to ensure a smooth handover. However, she couldn't bear to issue a punishment to 'her team' when they still had an outside chance of winning the league and she jumped ship, knowing that no action could take place until well after the new C.O. started.

She is as bitter as they come and should never have been in a role that gave her such power.
Morelos and Roofe were both given bans when there was no official Compliance Officer in post. There is no excuse for Celtc escaping punishment.

Morelos and Roofe were both given bans when there was no official Compliance Officer in post. There is no excuse for Celtc escaping punishment.
Morelos and Roofe had to be dealt with through the 'Fast Track' process.

The Dubai incidents and our 5 are not 'Fast Track' offences, so are basically dealt with as and when they like.

The Aberdeen 8 went to a pub and later trained with team-mates, putting them at risk. They were all given suspended 3 match bans, but served none, as there was no repeat offence.

Bolingoli left the country, returned and broke Covid Self-Isolation Rules by not only training with his team-mates, but participating in a SPFL match v Kilmarnock, putting 2 teams at risk. He was given a 5 match ban, with 2 of them suspended, so only served 3 games.

Jones & Edmundson attended at a party, but did not attend training, so put no-one at risk. Despite being the incident which had the least risk, they were given a 7 game ban with none suspended, so they had to miss all 7 games.

I'm not convinced Balogun was injured.

Antwerp knew he wasn't a natural right back, so targeted him. He didn't have a great first half. Was on a yellow card, was poor at the goal and lucky not to give away a penalty, when he slid 10 yards on his backside.

I reckon his substitution was purely tactical, but the gaffer protected him, rather than throwing him under the bus.
Looks like he was injured, Gerrard’s just confirmed he’s a big doubt for Livi.

Just posted this in the Balogun doubtful thread, valid here too.
On Patterson, I wish we'd start dropping into interviews something like "we'd be stunned if we heard anything about our players as there are several outstanding investigations of much earlier covid-related incidents to be completed".
McCoist e.g. could say it, too.

Last edited:
Because Gerrard intimated as much in his post-match interview v Antwerp. Throw in the fact the Club said we’d been talking to the SFA and the ScoGov about the five, plus the fact the Compliance Officer post was vacant for several weeks until today, when the new incumbent started.

This whole Patterson and the other rule breakers thing is mental....Until the SFA ban him he can play and probable will play. We saw against Antwerp that Gerrard has no issues playing him and the look he gave him at the end of the match shows they have no beef, Patterson will realise how lucky he is.

The dialog between the SFA and Rangers might be us explaining the punishment handed out and you never know...The SFA might be happy with said punishment and see no need to take action. Not one person on here knows what punishments we handed out.

Until the Dubai fiasco is sorted out then nothing will happen. The SFA also broke their own rules on Covid so how can they judge us??

Patterson / Balogun for the league games
Patterson in Europa
Leon King if both are unavailable
I know King is a centre back but, did he play right back against Falkirk?
Who would be Pattersons understudy in the reserves?

This whole Patterson and the other rule breakers thing is mental....Until the SFA ban him he can play and probable will play. We saw against Antwerp that Gerrard has no issues playing him and the look he gave him at the end of the match shows they have no beef, Patterson will realise how lucky he is.

The dialog between the SFA and Rangers might be us explaining the punishment handed out and you never know...The SFA might be happy with said punishment and see no need to take action. Not one person on here knows what punishments we handed out.

Until the Dubai fiasco is sorted out then nothing will happen. The SFA also broke their own rules on Covid so how can they judge us??
Who's to say they won't deal with the Dubai Debacle - which will involve a club fine rather than player sanctions - at the same time as our 5? Since we are speculating. My guess is that they will be cited this week with a hearing set for two weeks time, followed by bans. They will be able to play League matches in the interim and in the EL all the way to the final. Only a guess though, and I got it completely wrong when 3 of them appeared on the bench v Antwerp. I'd love to be wrong again.

You don't need me to answer your last question.

Who's to say they won't deal with the Dubai Debacle - which will involve a club fine rather than player sanctions - at the same time as our 5? Since we are speculating. My guess is that they will be cited this week with a hearing set for two weeks time, followed by bans. They will be able to play League matches in the interim and in the EL all the way to the final. Only a guess though, and I got it completely wrong when 3 of them appeared on the bench v Antwerp. I'd love to be wrong again.

You don't need me to answer your last question.

If that mob get any sort of punishment for Dubai I would be flabbergasted! Everyman and his dog know nothing will happen...

I might be proven wrong but I dont think anything will come of any covid breaches.

Why doesn't the FA ban players down south? The Newcastle player getting a haircut, Aubemyang getting a tattoo and the Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea players having an Xmas party etc...

If that mob get any sort of punishment for Dubai I would be flabbergasted! Everyman and his dog know nothing will happen...

I might be proven wrong but I dont think anything will come of any covid breaches.

Why doesn't the FA ban players down south? The Newcastle player getting a haircut, Aubemyang getting a tattoo and the Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea players having an Xmas party etc...
I don't think any Associations anywhere else routinely ban players for Covid breaches. Unfortunately we don't play 'anywhere else'.

I hope you are correct - but the noises from Ibrox suggest otherwise (Gerrard's comments).

I don't think any Associations anywhere else routinely ban players for Covid breaches. Unfortunately we don't play 'anywhere else'.

I hope you are correct - but the noises from Ibrox suggest otherwise (Gerrard's comments).

My bet is nothing will happen to Dubai gate, nothing more will be said about the linesman being isolated and the SFA will say the punishment handed out by us is acceptable and they’ll be happy with how we dealt with it.

In reality; Dubai gate - Nothing, Linesman - Nothing, Rangers 5 - Rest of season ban....

Back