Right sided attacker.

donka

I know we don't play with wingers but I still think one of our biggest problem areas is a right sided attacker with pace. We don't create enough in the final third and we also need someone who can chip in with goals. Pace is a necessity in Europe and against the tims.
Against the teams that sit in, we hopefully have the creativity to unlock in the likes of Aribo and Hagi but we still need players from wider starting positions to contribute.
Who would you like to see us try and bring in?

The lack of a genuine right sided player of quality needs addressed.

Barker, Jones and Ojo all had a go at it, none of them were of the requited quality. Aribo was the best option out there which can't be the case next season.

We’ve never replaced Candeias for me

He was underrated and I know folk will look at his goals and assists but he offered much more than that especially the defensive side to his game

IMO Tav hasn’t been as effective since Candeias left

Completely agree, if Gerrard had known what a flop Ojo would turn out to be he wouldnt have let him go imo.

Looked at his Youtube videos and he has absolutely no end product .... we'd be as well giving Glen Middleton a run if that's what we are looking for

As it stands, Aribo and Stewart would be the options.

Aribo has done well at times, piggery as an example and Stewart has done well at Ibrox against the deep lying defensive teams, with Aberdeen being the prime example.

I don't have any suggestions for someone to be signed in that position, but it wouldn't suprise me if we brought someone in.

Completely agree, if Gerrard had known what a flop Ojo would turn out to be he wouldnt have let him go imo.

It still annoys me Candeias was dumped from our first European squad. The writing was on the wall for him after that

Folk will claim he left us as he didn’t want to fight for his place but IMO there was no way Ojo was going to be bombed out for DC so early in the season regardless of performances.

Criminal to think we allowed DC to leave and his replacements have been Ojo, Stewart, Barker.

As it stands, Aribo and Stewart would be the options.

Aribo has done well at times, piggery as an example and Stewart has done well at Ibrox against the deep lying defensive teams, with Aberdeen being the prime example.

I don't have any suggestions for someone to be signed in that position, but it wouldn't suprise me if we brought someone in.

I actually like Stewart as a player, think he can definitely offer the squad something, he's never had a real run of games in any one position as yet.

We do need one if we are to move forward next year and it needs to be someone of decent standard. None of this loans from Liverpool shite. We need a good goal scoring winger if we want this formation to work. With us signing hagi, I would assume we haven’t spent that money to stick him in the same position as last year, so hopefully with him at the no10 position and a quality right sided attacker we can push to win the league next year

Is Berghuis a RW?

He is and he’d be perfect for us in our system, but would cost too much.

Think it’s a similar type to him we should be looking at a pacey, left-sided and comfortable coming inside or staying wide. Hopefully we’ve been identifying affordable options in this area.

Tbf to the management/recruitment team, that’s how Ojo looked last pre season and beginning of last season, then went to bits!

I’d like to see us get Linssen who although now 29, is available on a bosman and has a very good goal ratio over a few seasons now- might mean moving Kent to the right side which might be worth trying

Just had a look at this guys stats, looks far more like what we should be going for, experienced and seems to contribute consistently with goals.

I'd like to see Kent move to play mostly from the right - I know we try to play with the two players free to start attacks from wherever they like, but obviously the shape means he's most often on the left.

When you have a look at Kent's goals for us, his best tend to be with his left foot. I think he's more effective cutting in from the right than he is from the left, but it's not something we've seen loads of so it's hard to tell for certain.

Ideally a right sided Ryan Kent (quick/creative/skilful winger type)

“New”——Hagi ——Kent​

Morelos​

I’m not totally discarding the likes of aribo. If he proves to be performing better than the three “attackers” behind our striker - he’ll earn the right to play.

He had some good performances as an option on the right side of our attack but I thought he sometimes looked uncomfortable and perhaps unwise as a long term option.

Hagi will play from that side. We will hopefully give youth a chance too. Kennedy could do well. It's the central midfield we really need to improve. Aribo was good in spells, but inconsistent and weak at times, same with Kamara. Arfield has no end product. Davis isn't getting any younger. Jack will hopefully be clear of his injury, so he needs some good help in there. If that's Ferguson I'll be fine with that gamble. Kelly will hopefully be added to the squad too. I reckon Ross Wilson will continue to recruit well.

Hagi will play from that side. We will hopefully give youth a chance too. Kennedy could do well. It's the central midfield we really need to improve. Aribo was good in spells, but inconsistent and weak at times, same with Kamara. Arfield has no end product. Davis isn't getting any younger. Jack will hopefully be clear of his injury, so he needs some good help in there. If that's Ferguson I'll be fine with that gamble. Kelly will hopefully be added to the squad too. I reckon Ross Wilson will continue to recruit well.
We’ll be wasting 3m if hagi is playing on the right next season.

Need to be someone whos happy to track back and cover tavs arse. Hopefully a quick strong player with an eye for goal.

It wouldn't be a waste of money, it's not like he's bad at that role.

We should have that two #10 setup within our arsenal of setups/formations, our problem is that we pretty much only have that.

We should be targeting actual wingers and another 10 to give the squad more versatility, Kent shouldn't be playing in that shape domestically.

Just for example, say we sign Majer, Skov Olsen and another RW. We can go with Hagi and Majer as the two #10's and then Kent and Olsen with Hagi in the middle when we want to use wingers.

Agree we need a right sided attacker, also think it should be a winger. Kent as a winger is better than Kent as a left number 10, Hagi is better as a central number 10 so a right winger for me.
Zero assists for Kent in the league iirc is a shocking statistic

I disagree. Based on everything the coaching team have said about not playing wingers, essentially having two number 10's and having flexibility in the system. The obvious comparison is Liverpool's system, which obviously is more effective as their players are far better. Their midfield 3 are fairly robust and very good at winning the ball back in the transition, and feeding the attackers. This is why a player like Aribo, if he improves, is more likely to play central then Hagi. Jack and Kamara, or a suitable replacement, would add structure. Part of their jobs would be to free up the full backs to have freedom to provide width higher up the pitch. £3m on Hagi is a great deal, even if we decide to sell again to make a profit.

Just had a look at this guys stats, looks far more like what we should be going for, experienced and seems to contribute consistently with goals.
If we were looking at a considerable fee I’d say look elsewhere but on a bosman with decent wages to tempt the player it would be worth trying.
Leroy Fer and Van Der Hoorn are other bosmans mentioned that might be worth looking at.

Better not see Hagi out there come next season.

Even though I didn't think it suited him initially, Aribo contributed there. However we still haven't found a place for Aribo yet as he doesn't work in our midfield 3, the way that it was set up last season.

Agree, we need to bring someone new in for there however our priorities should be a ball playing centre half & a player similar to Arfield in terms of linking midfield to front & getting near our central striker.

Whilst I want to see our youth flourish in first team, I suspect that the coming season will not be the time
We are entering unchartered territory and I believe that many scottish clubs will be struggling for money and players. To that end, SG will see it as an opportunity for our youngsters to get loans to decent level clubs with the prospect of significant playing time. Equally, the pressure to win the league will see him go for more experience in the market imo, rather than having faith in youngsters
Think the likes of Patterson, Kennedy and mccrorie will have to wait 12months before their big breakthrough

I disagree. Based on everything the coaching team have said about not playing wingers, essentially having two number 10's and having flexibility in the system. The obvious comparison is Liverpool's system, which obviously is more effective as their players are far better. Their midfield 3 are fairly robust and very good at winning the ball back in the transition, and feeding the attackers. This is why a player like Aribo, if he improves, is more likely to play central then Hagi. Jack and Kamara, or a suitable replacement, would add structure. Part of their jobs would be to free up the full backs to have freedom to provide width higher up the pitch. £3m on Hagi is a great deal, even if we decide to sell again to make a profit.
Liverpool don’t play with two number 10s. We need to use kent as a winger with hagi as the number 10 and sign a new RW if we want to be successful next season.

Liverpool don’t play with two number 10s. We need to use kent as a winger with hagi as the number 10 and sign a new RW if we want to be successful next season.
Salah and Mane play as direct, basically inside forwards. I'm taking the number 10 description as being the same thing, in that they are not wide players, and wide players in our system would be pointless. We need not and Hagi to provide a direct threat to the opponent's goal, and also provide for a striker. I understand that people like the idea of having wingers, but constantly crossing the ball into a box which is usually defended in numbers by our opponents is madness, as could be seen in the days of Candeias. In any case, the width comes from the full backs.

We should have that two #10 setup within our arsenal of setups/formations, our problem is that we pretty much only have that.

We should be targeting actual wingers and another 10 to give the squad more versatility, Kent shouldn't be playing in that shape domestically.

Just for example, say we sign Majer, Skov Olsen and another RW. We can go with Hagi and Majer as the two #10's and then Kent and Olsen with Hagi in the middle when we want to use wingers.

Would be delighted if they were signed as they would bring the extra bit of quality that is needed!

Reactions: cav

Mate if we sign that lot there will be a Protestant baby boom nine months after!
(I know it was just an example)

If we were looking at a considerable fee I’d say look elsewhere but on a bosman with decent wages to tempt the player it would be worth trying.
Leroy Fer and Van Der Hoorn are other bosmans mentioned that might be worth looking at.
Fer would be excellent in the middle of the park he was brilliant in Rotterdam against us he's one that can play and at the same time not be bullied

Last edited:

Would really like us to get Skov Olsen but did he not just sign for some serie A team for 8m?

Not at all convinced that wide right is how we should use Aribo. Also Kent can play more as a winger when on the right.

Morelos

New Signing Hagi Kent

Aribo New signing
Jack

Guys like Arfield and Davis (given his form since January) should be on the bench or used for rotation or loss of form.

We definitely need at the very least 2 starters, ideally 3-4.

Fer would be excellent on the middle of the park he was brilliant in Rotterdam against is he's one that can play and at the same time not be bullied
The down side with the three players mentioned is you’re probably not going to be making money on them in a few years time,but their experience and qualities on bosman deals outweigh that imo.
Hagi and whoever replaces Alfie can provide that hopefully

He was underrated and I know folk will look at his goals and assists but he offered much more than that especially the defensive side to his game

We don't play 442 or 352 which would suit Candeias, in 433 we need our two wide player in the front three scoring and making goals. It's a problem we have still to find the solution to

We need better than candeias if we want to win things.

But did Candeias not leave of his own accord. Wonder if he regrets it. Tav hasn't been the same since and we've missed that link up they had.

Mate if we sign that lot there will be a Protestant baby boom nine months after!
(I know it was just an example)
You'd barely get half a Morelos for what they'd cost!

It's mainly why I don't see the benefit of keeping him around

Back