Right sided attacker.

If we do bring one in it will also help that aribo can help back up both hagi’s position and the right attacker. But would also like to bring in a first choice right attacker and a back up so that aribo can focus on being back up to hagi

Completely agree, if Gerrard had known what a flop Ojo would turn out to be he wouldnt have let him go imo.
Flop is a bit harsh.
36 games, 5 goals and 7 assists

contrast with Kent in his first year
43 games 6 goals and 10 assists.

I know numbers don't always tell the full story, but I maintain, flop is harsh on the lad

As it stands, Aribo and Stewart would be the options.

Aribo has done well at times, piggery as an example and Stewart has done well at Ibrox against the deep lying defensive teams, with Aberdeen being the prime example.

I don't have any suggestions for someone to be signed in that position, but it wouldn't suprise me if we brought someone in.
Agreed. I think we need one more real quality attacking midfielder signed but he has to be able to put pressure on Kent too, not just Aribo. Aribo created more goals than Kent. 8 assists, Kent didn't get any.

He was told that his place was no longer guaranteed, bit of a difference

He went from being a first team player to being dropped for the Euro qualifying squad while on loan players got in. Effectively dropped. I can understand him wanting to leave in search of regular football - refreshing instead of those happy to sit in the stand and take a wage!
Regardless of people's thoughts on him, he was a big miss for us last season and for me, we have never really replaced him.

But did Candeias not leave of his own accord. Wonder if he regrets it. Tav hasn't been the same since and we've missed that link up they had.
This is just an absolute myth that Tav somehow needed Candeias to play well, the first half of the season Tav was on fire and done perfectly well defensively apart from the YB away and Tynecastle games.

Also, Candeias was on fire in pre-season aye, but last season particularly the second half of the season he was absolutely dreadful and I don't get why people have just forgotten about it. There were numerous times he done this but the one I remember was Aberdeen at home in the cup, through on goal and all he had to do was slide it across for a goal and he fucking rifled it head height at 100mph. He was far too inconsistent going forward, he might have provided more defensive solidity but if we want to win a title we need goals from our RW, not defending.

Not at all convinced that wide right is how we should use Aribo. Also Kent can play more as a winger when on the right.

Morelos

New Signing Hagi Kent

Aribo New signing
Jack

Guys like Arfield and Davis (given his form since January) should be on the bench or used for rotation or loss of form.

We definitely need at the very least 2 starters, ideally 3-4.

i'd add Jack into that as well. Great squad player but im not convinced he can give us what we need over a season.

The linked thread has over-focussed on the waster Berahino but the other guy linked, Benson Manuel (not Manuel Benson as reported), is a right winger/forward. Cost Antwerp a reported £2.7m last Summer after a good season with Genk, but it doesn't seem to have worked out too well.

We need a proper direct, powerful, pacey player in that area a creative spark with a big goal threat.

Aribo is the only other genuine option and I would rather he was put back into a midfield role.

We don't play a formation with a number 10 in midfield. There's no space for Hagi there.

He'll be our man on the right, but it's a free role and effectively lets him play in the number 10 role, just with a right sided bias.

Should be Kent and look at another option on the left. Just need to look at our last match against County when he was moved over to the right and got a goal not long after. He's far better at shooting on his left foot than his right and we should be doing more to get him chances to use it. Playing him on the left doesn't stop him from being effective but it means he's less of a goal threat.

We’ve never replaced Candeias for me

He was underrated and I know folk will look at his goals and assists but he offered much more than that especially the defensive side to his game

IMO Tav hasn’t been as effective since Candeias left
I would like to have seen Candeias in the current team

We’ve never replaced Candeias for me

He was underrated and I know folk will look at his goals and assists but he offered much more than that especially the defensive side to his game

IMO Tav hasn’t been as effective since Candeias left
A huge mistake by Gerrard,I loved the Candyman.

The right sided attacker thing really only matters if we’re going to persist with a variation of 4-3-3.

In that case, yes, we’re desperately in need of someone who’ll get us 15-20
goals a season, but do we want to continue with a system whose limitations were exposed painfully post Xmas?

Maybe we just need a second striker?

Ideally, both.

The thought of Stewart, even as backup, gives me the fear.

Just never struck me as good enough to be with us, he seems as athletic as Jack Duckworth as well
Jones, Barker and Stewart really don't make sense at all in hindsight.

People like to just blame Mark Allen but if Gerrard didn't want them they wouldn't have been signed.

Not sure if we are still interested but possibly vydra playing off the right could be an option.

I’ve only seen him a handful of times but he seems technically good and quite powerful. I don’t think he’s ever been a prolific goal scorer, wether that be playing as a number 9 or off the front but I do feel he could thrive at playing for a big club like us.

Not sure if we are still interested but possibly vydra playing off the right could be an option.

I’ve only seen him a handful of times but he seems technically good and quite powerful. I don’t think he’s ever been a prolific goal scorer, wether that be playing as a number 9 or off the front but I do feel he could thrive at playing for a big club like us.
We've missed our chance on him now.

He'd be bad value considering that Burnelys asking price will have gone up, he was starting to play for them and quite well

What about the guy they were linked with years ago, think he ended up at Everton. Henry Onyekuru think his name was, he not a right mid?

No idea how his career is panning out tho.

I know we don't play with wingers but I still think one of our biggest problem areas is a right sided attacker with pace. We don't create enough in the final third and we also need someone who can chip in with goals. Pace is a necessity in Europe and against the tims.
Against the teams that sit in, we hopefully have the creativity to unlock in the likes of Aribo and Hagi but we still need players from wider starting positions to contribute.
Who would you like to see us try and bring in?
Would be delighted if they were signed as they would bring the extra bit of quality that is needed!
Candeis ?

He'd be bad value considering that Burnelys asking price will have gone up, he was starting to play for them and quite well
He played a handful of games and scored a few goals but that was only because of injuries Burnley had.

I think he could be someone Burnley would be happy to get off the wage bill. 1 year loan deal with option at the end of that could be a good deal for both parties

This is just an absolute myth that Tav somehow needed Candeias to play well, the first half of the season Tav was on fire and done perfectly well defensively apart from the YB away and Tynecastle games.

Also, Candeias was on fire in pre-season aye, but last season particularly the second half of the season he was absolutely dreadful and I don't get why people have just forgotten about it. There were numerous times he done this but the one I remember was Aberdeen at home in the cup, through on goal and all he had to do was slide it across for a goal and he fucking rifled it head height at 100mph. He was far too inconsistent going forward, he might have provided more defensive solidity but if we want to win a title we need goals from our RW, not defending.

candeias, like a lot of players from our recent past, is one of those who seems to have gotten better the longer he’s been away.

I see, and hear, those saying regularly ‘we didn’t replace Candeias’, which is correct. We didn’t. But, that shouldn’t be a statement that means we were wrong to move on from Candeias. Candeias’ position needed and upgrade, and we didn’t do that.

we wouldn’t have been any better off if we still had Candeias around.

Reactions: LD5
We lack quality , and are inflexible , with SG stubbornly sticking with 433.

We been sussed , hence some very poor games v so called lower teams.

Against the tims we did what they do , We raised our game .

This season is the most crucial in many years , we must bust a gut , to get 55.

We have a squad of players some not good enough , who continue to fail yet get picked regular. This is the longest pre season ever , lets ideas, money and quality are in abundance !

We don't play 442 or 352 which would suit Candeias, in 433 we need our two wide player in the front three scoring and making goals. It's a problem we have still to find the solution to

The solution is better players, as it was under Warburton. 4-3-3 is a good system, but your front three especially need to be full of goals and we just don’t have that.

What worries me is that we said much the same last summer then added a young Liverpool fringe player on loan and a barrow load of squad filler.

Unless we add at least one wide attacker of significantly better quality than we already have, I think we need to bin 4-3-3.

I have my doubts any of that will happen though.

The thought of Stewart, even as backup, gives me the fear.

Just never struck me as good enough to be with us, he seems as athletic as Jack Duckworth as well

Bit harsh mate, as he did well in the games at Ibrox, when he played.

He also improved his fitness dramatically and was in the top 5 in the endurance runs in Dubai in January.

Bit harsh mate, as he did well in the games at Ibrox, when he played.

He also improved his fitness dramatically and was in the top 5 in the endurance runs in Dubai in January.
Not sure we can use anything from Dubai onwards as a barometer for where we should be though
Probably says more about the others than GS

Jordan ibe available on a free???lost his way a bit at Bournemouth but was very highly thought of when loved there for £16m

It still annoys me Candeias was dumped from our first European squad. The writing was on the wall for him after that

Folk will claim he left us as he didn’t want to fight for his place but IMO there was no way Ojo was going to be bombed out for DC so early in the season regardless of performances.

Criminal to think we allowed DC to leave and his replacements have been Ojo, Stewart, Barker.
Not a dig at you mate but it’s a myth that we let him leave. Candeias wanted to leave as we couldn’t guarantee him a starting place every week. That certainly isn’t the mentality I want from a Rangers player who had won nothing.

I agree we never replaced DC because we replaced him with players who were worse than a player who ultimately wasn’t good enough himself.

Right wing is a priority this summer, I’d like us to sign Andreas Skov Olsen there, although not sure how realistic that is.

I know we don't play with wingers but I still think one of our biggest problem areas is a right sided attacker with pace. We don't create enough in the final third and we also need someone who can chip in with goals. Pace is a necessity in Europe and against the tims.
Against the teams that sit in, we hopefully have the creativity to unlock in the likes of Aribo and Hagi but we still need players from wider starting positions to contribute.
Who would you like to see us try and bring in?
I’d love to see the boy Adama traore that’s at wolves. A flat track bully, Physical,
Pace to burn and can score goals. Would rip it
Up in Scotland. On too much dough Down there though

Last edited:

Burnley chairman came out and said there struggling for money due to covid19 so I wonder if they'll have to let a few players go maybe theres a chance we can get him Burnley aren't one of those cash rich epl teams with a billionaire owner

He looked out his depth upfront at tyncastle in the Scottish cup but to be fair the whole team was poor that day

He's never a striker in a million years mate.

He was totally out of position.

When he's been played in his right position he's done well enough for us.

Actually think martin Boyle would be a good cheap option out wide right, pace to burn and very direct. He does have a suspicious name but not sure if he is bitter or not though - he seems to represent Australia now?

If we're assuming that Hagi isn't going to be played out there then I'd say we need one quality addition that you'd expect to make the spot their own. No more signing 5 wingers in a window and none work out. We were told a year ago that it was going to be quality over quantity and it didn't happen.

New signing who is first choice then you have Hagi and Aribo as the alternative options for the odd game. Stewart as the backup to them. Kennedy as the prospect trying to force his way in.

Posted a thread or two on Mike Tresor Ndayishimiye at Willem II. Guy is an absolute superstar in the making, but would probably be more suited to the role Hagi is gonna play.
Nunnelly at Willem II plays wide right and is also a cracking wee player.
We should be keeping very close tabs on both.

Viktor Fischer from Copenhagen would be another alternative. Copenhagen signed him for 3 million euros a couple of seasons ago so could be in our price range

Back