Right, where we are re manager

I just can’t see where he can stay on after yesterday,we have no consistency & are still starting the second half of games well off the pace

I've been a big fan of Pedro and was happy to give him time and was even arguing in favour of him. It's got to the point though that if he got sacked this morning, I wouldn't have been shocked and I couldn't have argued against it. It's getting harder and harder every slip up.

Yesterday was a must win game for me, for a few reasons;

Dress rehearsal - give us a feel for Hampden and give the players a taste of it before a) League Cup final & b) any Scottish cup run
Opponent - we got the luck of the draw and pulled the weakest opposition (imo).
Silverware - to get a one off game against them where we are 90 minutes away from a cup
3rd win in a row - to get the monkey off our back for this.
Non-negotiable Cup win (rumoured) - This would be the easier cup to win with them still being battered midweek in Europe. The Scottish Cup will be a lot harder, if we get to the final stages.

I believed that this game would have been our "turning point" by ticking all of the above. Instead here we are.

It's not good enough. The most passion I seen from us was from Pedro himself and he's said himself he takes full responsibility because he believes he was expecting too much from the team and maybe built the situation up and made them anxious (RTV post interview). That's worrying. 1) Why can't he have his players showing the same passion that he does? 2) Why are the players becoming anxious when their manager clearly describes the importance of this game?

We really had a favourable run. I think we'll beat Kilmarnock & beat Hearts because we seem to be good away from home. Then we have Partick & Hamilton at home. Favourable games. But then here we'll be before Partick wondering if we can finally win 3 in a row and doubting what should be a routine win. It's these routine wins that are evading Pedro and his team & the fact that a lot of fans go into these games doubting that we'll get a result.

The potential was there to have a 7 match winning run before the sheep double header. We shat the bed. Not for the first time this season and probably not for the last time.

The bottom line is that the team under the current manager cannot and have not laid down any markers to suggest that we are moving forward.

Every single big game, bar one freak 8 minute or so period resulting in a 3-0 win at Shittodrie, his team have shat the bed in every sense be that physically, mentally or result.
Unfortunately I have to agree. Even that win was meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
We have failed in every significant match under Pedro. It’s not working the fact that 3 wins in a row have not been achieved nearly 9 months into his tenure speaks volumes.

This Board has learnt a lesson. That lesson is that there is no such thing as a cheap option when it comes to Football Managers. Sure, you get your cheery wee guy in and he talks tactics and tells everybody what he intends to do and there's a lift. Soon after that, he's spending your money on what he deems to be what's required. It's a matter of when and not if now in terms of Pedro's departure and we have 7 or 8 players who might find things a bit uneasy if the right Manager is to walk through those doors. So as well as paying off Pedro we will likely have to move on some of his players and likely at a loss too. The next Manager has to be someone who understands Rangers. We have had 17 Managers in 145 years. We don't do knee jerk reactions unless we absolutely have to and this is PLG version 2.0

Really want the guy to succeed, personally and for the team.

However, believe that’s more stubbornness than anything I’ve seen from his teams to date.

Not being able to win 3 games in a row with Rangers is criminal.

The whole length of contract is just another miserable failing from Robertson and co. Another failed lesson learned from the Warburton reign.

My biggest fear - who next? I’ve grown up where Rangers had the least managers of anyone. We were stable and successful. This merry go round of managers is a thing for amateur setups.

Why did we allow Park to recommend a guy with such little relevant experience at the time of real need?

McInnes - it is what it is. He’s neither exciting or revolutionary, but he’d take the tims down to the last 4/5 games. Is he a second coming of Smith? Who knows.

The fact he finished the Hibs game with 6 defenders on the park suggest he knows who to scrap and scrape a victory.

Is it maybe time to approach this in two phases? One of second consolidation (McInnes), then one of real challenge?

Far to many strolled in thinking we’d be the second best team in Scotland just by turning up. We’ve had our asses handed to us regularly by average teams now for 15 months.

Talk of the long ball tactics is ironic, must people were delighted we got rid of Warburtons "tippy tappy pish" and wanted a manager who would mix it up.

We are now getting the ball in the box more often and we are quite more direct than under Warburtons tenure instead of fannying about the outside of the box, and people are back to complaining about the football? It's their right to complain but you just can't win, there is no inbetween.

I would say see where we are on Saturday Night, If we win our 2 games we will have made some ground on sheep and the tims or possibly even both. We should then see how it goes up until the Aberdeen double header cos before that we have a run of winnable games and who knows what could happen in that time.

I'm obviously raging at yesterday's result but I have seen better Rangers teams than that loose in the cup.

I think unless we start really loosing ground on the top two then we should hold onto Pedro until the winter break, would seem the sensible time for a change if needed.

Is it maybe time to approach this in two phases? One of second consolidation (McInnes), then one of real challenge?

Yes, and this is sensible. We're back in SPL and need to be clearly 2nd best team and a genuine threat in cups...THEN we worry about Europe, or winning titles.

Yes, and this is sensible. We're back in SPL and need to be clearly 2nd best team and a genuine threat in cups...THEN we worry about Europe, or winning titles.

McInnes is that man then.

He’ll cost us circa £1m in compensation and £500k per annum.

Probably give him £2m in January and we’d find ourselves taking the tims to the split as a minimum.

How much to get rid of Pedro and the back-room staff?

any new man would keep Jack, Dorrans, and Morelos in particular...

We have the best keeper and right back in the league as well. McCrorie looks promising, as does John, Wallace to come back and Candaeis could do a job going forward. A manager that actually plays football rather than hoofball will get more out of Dorrans as well. Jack and Holt have proven to be capable enough players in Scotland.

It's not all doom and gloom I'd wager a good manager would fancy getting a turn out of this squad and add to it in January and the summer to have a real go next season.

McInnes is that man then.

He’ll cost us circa £1m in compensation and £500k per annum.

Probably give him £2m in January and we’d find ourselves taking the tims to the split as a minimum.

How much to get rid of Pedro and the back-room staff?

2.5 years x staff (is it 3 he brought?)....so let's guess: £1.75m?

We're between a rock and a hard place.

I've been endlessly patient with Pedro mainly due to the tough circumstances he came in under, but at the end of the day the results aren't there and he's buying himself no time at all with games like yesterday. What an opportunity to get the majority of fans back on side and take some pressure off. He's had enough time to get this team beating a sh!te Motherwell side that has one player of note.

I'd be extremely surprised if the board aren't already sizing up their options for January. The only thing that will save Pedro now is a miracle run through the end of the year which is extremely unlikely, we've already had 1 or 2 retrospective/galvanisation events with little to no response – it's reaching desperation stages.

Until he's out the door he'll still have my support, but any prospect of things coming good here is based on blind hope and nothing else.

Nobody can see into the future. Pedro must be given a fair crack of the whip. That means judging his performance over the full season. He may or may not turn it round. At least we will know for certain.
If a new manager is necessary then we must plan and prepare carefully. Time to do it right is critical. Getting it wrong again is unthinkable.

Frankly I’m done with the guy, but the only real argument I can see in giving him until the end of the season is that it gives us time to plan a better replacement.

The end result will be the same however. He won’t turn it around because he has no track record that says he can, but the massive headache binning him now would bring in terms of compo for both he and his backroom team and any possible replacement (McInnes, for example), not to mention any new guy being lumbered with several players he doesn’t want and who may not want him, means we’d probably be as well hanging on until the summer.

That could become academic however if he continues to fail in the big games and we fall further behind both Celtic and Aberdeen.

mendes

One huge theme yesterday after game was "At least filth won't pump us in the final" - is that really how bad it is? What manager can stay if support are roughly 80/20 convinced scum will thrash us EVERY time we play them?

These are exactly the words that came out of my mouth yesterday, after the second goal went in, not at full time. I rightly didn't think we had any chance of playing our way back into the game, based on what I'd been watching.

I never leave a game early, so I watched the whole thing to the bitter end, but the words you've typed up there were on all our lips.

Pedro is already finished. It's a matter of time now. You can't go on failing every single major test and surviving at Rangers. We now have Hearts away (with 14,000 loyal bears there to support us) and 2 games against the sheep ahead. How many of us think we will win even 2 of those 3 matches?

I hate to say it, because he's a lovely man, but Pedro is done. It's already over for the guy. It's a matter of when, not if.

100% right re his future...in his own hands: he emerges a clear 2nd by Dec 31st (including inevitable horsing by filth) and he might breath safely. But I cannot see us winning the tough games between now and then.

I am with you on this.

We could sack Pedro bring in the likes of McInness (please no)

He underperforms we hound him out get someone else in and repeat.

We need a bit of stability at Rangers not continual upheaval.

FFS we could have more managers in five or six years than we have had in our history.

This is literally how all the big clubs operate. If a manger isn't successful then punt them and bring a new one in. Its how modern football works.

The only club who have shown a bit of loyalty to their manager is Arsenal and they are just as much of a shambles as us in terms of on field success.

I said after the transfer window closed I was pleased with how the signings looked,especially given the turnover of players required due to the mess Warburton left-but that it would probably be the end of October/start of November before we would see how they gelled or not,and January before we could truly assess the team and Pedro.Up until now this is how I see it;

1.I think the team has been improved,despite poor results and performances.We have more better players than we did before the window.
2.The 'style' of play however,is howling.It's just awful.
3.Our ability to perform in the big games(Paedo's and cup semi)has been non existent.
4.The two games against the sheep are critical for the manager,less then four points and he's had it.

2.5 years x staff (is it 3 he brought?)....so let's guess: £1.75m?

Sadly, can we afford;

Severance - £2m
Compensation - £1m
New Salaries - £1m (£500k for McInnes, £250k for the Tommy the mentally challenged, and £250k for anyone else he wants)
New Players - £2m in January.

I think the board should do the decent thing and admit they got this appointment massively wrong, pay Pedro and his assistants off and appoint a quality manager.

Pedro has looked out of his depth for some time, his signings have been pretty average/poor. Our style of play is rank rotten, tactically we are awful and it's been clear for months the players just don't want to play for him. Defensively we are frail, we lack dig and creativity in midfield and we are powder puff in the forward areas. We are slow, lack pace and have no real dynamic players or quality within the squad.

Our form and results show we aren't improving under him and after a costly summer of recruitment we don't look any better than last season.

Pedro needs to go now.

Get rid.

The manager is the most important man at any football club.

You cannot meander on aimlessly with a manager not wanted by anyone.

There are certain things you can put on the back burner; doing up Ibrox, engaging with fans. Persevering with a lame duck in the dugout is not one of them.

He's not supposed to be the most important man at our football club anymore though......

Seems like a nice bloke, but it is becoming increasingly clear he is a bad football manager.

Time to cut our losses.

I think the board should do the decent thing and admit they got this appointment massively wrong, pay Pedro and his assistants off and appoint a quality manager.

Pedro has looked out of his depth for some time, his signings have been pretty average/poor. Our style of play is rank rotten, tactically we are awful and it's been clear for months the players just don't want to play for him. Defensively we are frail, we lack dig and creativity in midfield and we are powder puff in the forward areas. We are slow, lack pace and have no real dynamic players or quality within the squad.

Our form and results show we aren't improving under him and after a costly summer of recruitment we don't look any better than last season.

Pedro needs to go now.

I think Pedro should do the decent thing and say I'm not the man for the job, I got it wrong and lets part ways, ala' PLG

Perhaps the board forsaw this or at least the possibility & severance isn’t as high as we all think

If we have a manager we can't afford to sack and replace, then the board have massive questions to answer, even beyond those already being thrown at them.

If he goes now, he goes with good graces and a "thank you for trying". It won't be long until he starts getting a lot more heat.

McInnes isn't an exciting appointment but he has Aberdeen neck and neck with the yahoos with an inferior squad to ours and having lost most of his best players in the close season.

I wanted him to succeed but it cant go on with 1 step forward and 1 step back all the time - still unable to win 3 games on the bounce this far in is not acceptable and for all his away record is good, his home one aint. I think we have the bones of a good squad and set up correctly, we will improve but we need someone to prepare for a physical battle as well as a tactical one, and altho Pedro talks a good game, it doesnt seem to translate to the players.
I think we need a strong character british manager, I would like Allardyce but cant see it happening

I just can’t see where he can stay on after yesterday,we have no consistency & are still starting the second half of games well off the pace

He may have had justificaion to be angry and personally i think he did.But i just don't think a Rangers manager should have acted in such a manner,as we were in need of guidence at that time in the game, and he let himself and our fans down in my opinion. There were other ways he could have expressed his energies, but i don't think the way he acted on the touchline was one of them.I don't think the hierarchy would have been to pleased to witness Pedro's behaviour somehow. I don't think our manager will be with us long. Sorry to say, as i like the guy, but it won't win us trophies.

The 3 year deal was f***ing mental...so expensive to cut it short. Madness from board.
If he had been payed on a "pay by results system" he wouldn't be paying very much income tax which say's it all really , just another damp squib unfortunately for us .

He needs to go, I said it after Progres it was inevitable how it was going to end and it's becoming more obvious. We haven't showed one bit of improvement under him.

Years from now Pedro will be tracked down at some beach hut in Portugal for an exclusive interview to discuss how one day he managed Glasgow Rangers.

Both him and us will look back in astonishment at how it ever happened.

Interestingly, if Robertson has the balls, getting rid of him now wouldn’t leave us in a disastrous situation.

Imagine talking to prospective managers and being only 6 points behind the mentally challengeds with a January transfer window on the horizon.

It’s hardly insurmountable.

If we do the usual and leave it a while yet, we’ll be 12 behind and the attraction is less.

I wish we could push the boat out and get Allardyce. It’s completely unrealistic, maybe not sexy, but we’d be tough, hard to beat and I could walk into an old firm game and not dread whether we get another 5 goal pasting.

Has Pedro got us playing better after one transfer window (and considerable spend), the answer is yes for me.

We're not going to win the league this season, even with Guardiola in charge we wouldn't. Some fans find this hard to accept.

We are still in a severe period of transition, do we expect better results? Yes. We expect to be a clear second and running the mhanks close this season.

However , it's a rock and a hard place. The gap between us has never been bigger, fact. We've come from a real sh*t place the last few years. Last season was catastrophic in that rebuild.

I would keep PC because we simply cannot keep changing managers every year. The quick fix days of Le Guen/Walter are gone.

Unless the dressing room revolts and it's blatantly obvious on he pitch, I'd keep PC for the time being. Those players WERE playing for him against Hamilton and St Johnstone.

One bad week does not make all of our players sh*t. This place has some of the most fickle fans in sport.

We do want better but let's not kid ourselves, it is not a short road to get back to where we belong.

Mate, we shat it and took the easy option out and bleated about the ref being shite.

Yes, he was shite. But the ref being shite didn't make Josh Windass unable to hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
Cow's arses and Banjo's seemed to be the order of the day with our strike force yesterday , it was heartbreaking watching some of those attempts at goal .

Years from now Pedro will be tracked down at some beach hut in Portugal for an exclusive interview to discuss how one day he managed Glasgow Rangers.

Both him and us will look back in astonishment at how it ever happened.

The Portuguese Mike Bassett :eek:

Sadly, can we afford;

Severance - £2m
Compensation - £1m
New Salaries - £1m (£500k for McInnes, £250k for the Tommy the mentally challenged, and £250k for anyone else he wants)
New Players - £2m in January.

I'm not even a fan of McInnes but I keep forgetting about his assistant.

I honestly think we've had enough 'Celtic minded' types in the last few years who will apparently turn out to be 'good guys, not really big Celtic men, it's more the family, tbh' to last us a lifetime.

I thought the League Cup would be Pedro's salvation. We'll continue to be inconsistent in the League but the Cup success would allow him the time.

That's why I was so shocked about yesterday.

Then I wake this morning wondering why I was shocked. This was a standard performance. There's been nothing to suggest Pedro would take us to Cup success.

It's a sorry saga that starts with who appointed him? Who thought that he was the way to go? They have to carry the responsibility for this almighty clanger of an appointment. We had to get the manager choice right we didn't. The fact that we didn't get it right having selected a Portuguese unknown manager, who had managed in Mexico and was plying his trade in the middle east is unforgivable. On paper it looked a crazy decision. For it to turn out equally crazy in reality raises serious questions regarding the selection process. The worry is are these people selecting the next manager.

I've been willing Pedro to succeed ever since he arrived. I'm still hoping he can be successful at Rangers, however I am finding it increasingly difficult to offer up a strong argument against those who want him gone.
I know it was only two matches, and we weren't immense, but I saw a few encouraging signs during the victories against Hamilton and St Johnstone. To me there were signs that the defence was looking more solid, Dorrans was influencing more, Candeias and Tavernier looked to be developing a good understanding as were Morelos and Peña, so yesterday was a major disappointment, although we had enough chances to win the match in the first half.
As I said earlier, I am finding it more difficult to make a case for Pedro staying, but I do feel he should be given to the end of the year at least. Yes I can understand that some will feel that if we continue with Pedro we'll fall further behind, however the same might happen if we bring in a new manager as he'd need time to get the team playing his way, and I'd be concerned how it would affect those players who signed to play for Pedro.
Had we won yesterday Pedro wouldn't be getting slaughtered today. I know it was him that signed most of them and it was him that selected them, but I still think the players, bar a few, let Caixinha down yesterday. If only they had shown the same fight on the pitch as he did off it we might just have got the result we'd hoped for.
I realise I'm now in an ever shrinking minority and I'm not trying to convince anybody, it's just my opinion that now is not the right time to change the manager.

It's McInnes or go as is.

We've wasted another 8 months just to appoint the guy they probably should have done in the first place

I'm not even a fan of McInnes but I keep forgetting about his assistant.

I honestly think we've had enough 'Celtic minded' types in the last few years who will apparently turn out to be 'good guys, not really big Celtic men, it's more the family, tbh' to last us a lifetime.

Hopefully McInnes can operate without the mentally challenged.

I’m in agreement - the experiments with the likes of MOH have failed miserable.

Pedro stays. Simple as that.

We can all see the areas that need addressed. In particular left mid. Let him do that.

We will play worse than yesterday and win.

Yes, Pedro has made mistakes - but, he's been on the receiving end of some diabolical decisions from dodgy refs too.

If he were to go - who would replace him? McInnes??? No thanks.

For those who want the players to fight back.............what players do they want in? And how long would they last with our referees???????

We didn't lose the battle yesterday - we were assaulted with the rule book thrown out the window.

We are nowhere near the finished article. We all know that - but, we're a lot stronger than this time last year.

Oh - and I don't think Kenny Miller would have made a blind bit of difference yesterday either.

I was a bit baffled by the Pena sub. He started the 2nd half well. Created 2 good chances and unlucky with a header.....

Keep the head. We are all angry - but you make rash decisions when you are angry.

Back