RIP big Malky McPherson (Grapes Bar)

It’s been a while since I last spoke to the big man R.I.P Malky Thoughts with his Family and friends at this sad time

Sad news, I didn’t know Malky well but remember him from The Grapes when I drank there in the 80’s and 90’s.

Did he not feature in a shoot-out on the pitch at half-time once?

Always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow bear.
Sincere thoughts go out to Malky's family and friends.

Deepest Sympathies to his family and friends. The Big Man will be missed by his many pals in Ulster.

Forever and Ever in our thoughts.

Richie, Mark, Big Dav, Ronnie, Trevor the Webb’s and all the lads in County Armagh Rangers Supporters Cubs.
Aye…. Big Malky is a big loss, a real character.

Shocking news big man was some character been on a few Euro trips with the Grapes bus and sitting downstairs in the Pub with The Rotten Mob .

RIP Malky seeing the Rangers back on top is a small bit of comfort he would have taken with him very sad news.
The rotten mob no one like them

Sad news. Last spoke to him in the West Enclosure last time I was at Ibrox. Was a member of the bus for years and attended plenty of European trips with the Grapes when he ran the bus. Rest peacefully big chap.

I sat behind a guy in the WE about 20 years ago. Our seats were almost under the tv gantry. I know he worked behind the bar in the Grapes as I saw him in there in one occasion. Is this the same guy Im thinking of?

Awful news.

Malky was quite a character and as good a Rangers Man as you could meet. I think he may have set the world record for bodies on a 53 seater coach many a time to Hampden and Parkhead. Like the US Marines Malky never left anyone behind.

A memory I hope he would allow me to share. We went to Davie Coopers funeral together, and stood packed beside the throngs outside the church in those narrow streets of the Hamilton housing scheme that Davie grew up in.
When Davie's coffin emerged from the church for his last journey, Malky was sobbing. This Bear of a man reduced to tears for a player that he loved who played for the team that they both loved. In those pre mobile phone, and more respectful times, one guy crassly reached between us with a camera to picture the scene with Walter and Ally beside the coffin who were both visibly upset. In what I can only describe as a whisper with a persuasive quiet authority, Malky said "put that camera away or I'll break it and your arm".

Malky was a really good player himself. Played against him a few times back in the day. He was sweeper who strolled about at the back like a Kinning Park Beckenbauer. Could have played with a pint of Guiness in his hands and not spilled a drop.

RIP Malky.

Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
Malky was quite character and as good a Rangers Man as you could meet. I think he may have set the world record for bodies on a 53 seater coach many a time to Hampden and Parkhead. Like the US Marines Malky never left anyone behind.
Well over 100 one day I was on one anyways , aye!

Big Malky trying to get everyone onto the bus “Is there anybody in that toilet?”
“No”
“Well get 3 into it now then” :))

He‘s a big loss for a lot of people.

I'm sure im talking about the right person apologies if I've mistaken an identity.

On a night out with my dad and two uncles many years ago we popped into the grapes and it turns out the big fella was a friend of my uncles growing up, it really made my uncle allans night catching up with him after so many years, I'll always remember my uncle telling me for the rest of the evening that Malky 'was the only guy in Glenwood that could beat me at tennis'

My uncle Allan is one of those larger than life characters, that night was the only time I've ever saw him in awe of another person.

My dad and both uncles also said he was a fantastic football player

I used the Grapes bus a few times in the late 90’s. Big Malky was a character and the bus to Parkhead was always interesting. The bus was always rammed and the atmosphere brilliant.

RIP Malky!
sat behind him in Copland front for man years, helped me get a season ticket for my son!
Really sorry to hear this.

Happy memories of Malky.
Going on the Linthouse Loyal bus in the 80s.
Larger than life in many ways.
Rest in peace big chap.

I ran a Saturday morning league team. We turned up to play a game against Malay’s team. Guy in my team who played up front said “ look at the fat guy at the back”. Knowing the big man well I told the boy he wouldn’t get a kick of the ball all day. Malky absolutely strolled the game.
A really sad loss to the Rangers family.
RIP big man.

Big Malky sat in front of me in the Copland front for years until he started carrying the flag and moved to the enclosure, i last spoke to him before lockdown when he had part of his foot amputated but he was still his usual cheerful self, my best memory of him was that unforgettable night in Florence when Nacho scored that penalty, Malky was standing just across from me i ran over and planted a big smacker on his cheek and we we ended up rolling about the stairs, RIP big man.

Back