Ritchie-Shearer-Caldow-

When did Johansen regularly take over from Shearer mate, or was there someone else between those 2?
When Eric Caldow came back from his leg break, he played in the 1964-65 League Cup Final win against Celtic and Davie Provan was moved from left back to right back (which was his natural side) to replace Bobby Shearer. I think Kai signed during the close season after 64-65.

That was my team when a boy , Alex Scott was on the right wing before wee Willie Henderson . Fantastic Team.
Alex Scott when I started,probably the first player I thought "Why would he leave The Rangers" only to pass away at the young age of 64.
His name lives on but maybe a tad better looking ???

When Eric Caldow came back from his leg break, he played in the 1964-65 League Cup Final win against Celtic and Davie Provan was moved from left back to right back (which was his natural side) to replace Bobby Shearer. I think Kai signed during the close season after 64-65.

I never realised Provan was a natural right back.

The vast majority of games I've seen footage of him playing, he's been left back.

When he got his 5 caps for Scotland, do you know if it was in his natural right back position, or left back mate?

Not sure if anyone has posted it, but on the subject of that team never actually playing together much there was a bbc article recently talking about this for other iconic teams. its interesting how often it has happened. Though I think the more recent teams are less surprising given squad sizes. Will try and find it.

That team was my old mans and he'd list that team plus many variations for key games throughout that period effortlessly. When he passed a couple of years ago I found a load of programmes from that era, need to get time to scan them and do more research on the matches, great bits of our history.

I never realised Provan was a natural right back.

The vast majority of games I've seen footage of him playing, he's been left back.

When he got his 5 caps for Scotland, do you know if it was in his natural right back position, or left back mate?
I am not sure MU although I know Davie Provan played in both games against Italy in 1965. As John Greig was wearing the number 2 shirt at Hampden, Davie played at Left back. For the return in Naples, Eddie McCreadie came into the team so I assume Davie moved to right back.

Agree Ritchie Shearer Caldow Greig-MacKinnon-Baxter-Henderson -MacMillan-Millar-Brand and Wilson. Rolled off the tongue everyone knew the team And of course often Davie Provan

My dad raved about this team and the iron curtain defence. Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox.

Father in law Runs through that team every time we talk about The Rangers and iam sure tomorrow when we are up in George Square and after a few drinks he will talk me through them all again and i wont mind a bit .

Greig-MacKinnon-Baxter-Henderson -MacMillan-Millar-Brand and Wilson.

Feel bad for today's fans who don't have a settled team to memorize!
My dad at 81 can still rattle those names off if asked. Forgets he has his tea on at times but by fu*k can he remember matches back small details also who scored and how they were 19th Century Terrorist cu*ts even then.

The late great Davy Wilson who was one of my customers taught me that iconic team who were all capped at Scottish international level. I grew up with McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson . . .

A memorable team - yet they played together less than 10 times. Might even have been less than 5 times.

I have a vague memory of that team being listed on a very old 45rpm vinyl single I had (Who's That Team the name of the single perhaps?). Might be where the myth has grown from.

Mine was.
Niven,
Shearer, Caldow.
Davis, Paterson and Baxter.
Scott, McMillan, Miller, Brand and Wilson.

Great team.
First time I went to see Rangers live was a disaster. Team was:

Niven, Shearer, Caldow, Davis, Paterson, Stevenson, Scott, McMillan, Murray, Brand, Wilson.

Scottish Cup Replay at Ibrox v Motherwell and we lost 2-5, with Ian St John scoring a hat-trick. McMillan and Wilson scored for us.

Oh, and I got hit on the head by a pie thrown by an irate Bear. Not a great start.

Greig-MacKinnon-Baxter-Henderson -MacMillan-Millar-Brand and Wilson.

Feel bad for today's fans who don't have a settled team to memorize!
What I find amazing is the number of people who can rhyme off that team off the tongue but fail to do the same with the team that won our only European Trophy (Cup Winners Cup).

Try it with your pals!

Younger bears will struggle with both.understandably.

What I find amazing is the number of people who can rhyme off that team off the tongue but fail to do the same with the team that won our only European Trophy (Cup Winners Cup).

Try it with your pals!

Younger bears will struggle with both.understandably.
I'm an auld c*nt and can reel off both. Fair to say though that, incredible as it may seem, the '72 team takes a millisecond or two longer to flow.

I think McKinnon being missing throws me off a little - plus the fact that we are so used to reeling off Greig-McKinnon-Baxter. Rest of the team flows easily.

I'm an auld c*nt and can reel off both. Fair to say though that, incredible as it may seem, the '72 team takes a millisecond or two longer to flow.

I think McKinnon being missing throws me off a little - plus the fact that we are so used to reeling off Greig-McKinnon-Baxter. Rest of the team flows easily.
We've had some great teams through the various eras, but even during the lean years the potential was there esp. early 80s - we should won more with Coop, Bobby Russell, John McDonald, Jim Bett, Gordon Smith

We've had some great teams through the various eras, but even during the lean years the potential was there esp. early 80s - we should won more with Coop, Bobby Russell, John McDonald, Jim Bett, Gordon Smith
My peak period of following was throughout the 70s and 80s and I'd have to disagree a wee bit there. Some of the early 80s stuff was absolutely dire. My most miserable time following Rangers (post-2012 aside), when it often seemed we struggled to be second best. Its probably much more accurate to say we should have won more in the early 70s than in the early 80s.

First team i remember Scottish cup final 1960
Niven
Caldow
Little
McColl
Paterson
Stevenson
Scott
McMillan
Millar
Baird
Wilson
I also remember Henderson played inside right with Scott on the wing.
The wee man was outstanding in a 5-2 win against Thirds August 15 1962.

They played together6 times and drew twice, IIRC
I understand the point you are making. It didn’t seem like that back then. It felt like it was always like that. I know it wasn’t, but it begs the question then as to why this specific team has stayed in everyone’s mind? Why this line-up? Why has it been so romanticised?

I saw the early 50’s teams but don’t remember them as a wee boy, except for the ’big man’, wo was George Young. I recall clearly watching Scott and big Harold Davis and players like Paterson, but none of them were ’heroes’ until Slim Jim arrived, and then it all began to purr on the pitch.

Maybe the few times they did play the team seemed to gel and as such, made their stamp in our collective conscience. Whatever it was the names became a legend that has stood the test of time. Compare this to the 1990’s and NIAR. There is not the equivalent team to those ’heroes’ of Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow…
Can you explain that?

Back