Ritchie-Shearer-Caldow-

Anytime Eric Caldow's name is mentioned in front of my uncle, the response is always the same.

The veins in his neck start bulging and then he goes into a rant about how much of a nonsense it is that he never made our greatest ever 11.

Very few apparently.

Yip but for old guys like me it just slipped off the tongue. It's not even as if it was my golden generation team. That for me was the mid to late seventies even though I was not going that often as I was playing on a Saturday. The 77/78 team was the same just about every week yet it does not flow off the tongue in the same manner. Weird.

Yip but for old guys like me it just slipped off the tongue. It's not even as if it was my golden generation team. That for me was the mid to late seventies even though I was not going that often as I was playing on a Saturday. The 77/78 team was the same just about every week yet it does not flow off the tongue in the same manner. Weird.

Aye Woodrow, my uncle was at Wembley (63?) when Smith broke Caldow's leg, deliberately according to him.

He's still a season ticket holder and was a big fan of Numan and Robertson, but nobody can compare to Caldow for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
1964 Cup Final 1st team I saw had Provan and McLean instead of Caldow and McMillan all the rest were the same

Reactions: fyd
Aye Woodrow, my uncle was at Wembley (63?) when Smith broke Caldow's leg,' deliberately according to him.

He's still a season ticket holder and was a big fan of Numan and Robertson, but nobody can compare to Caldow for him.

I was going but honestly cannot remember Caldow. I was 7 in 63. I do remember sitting on the wall at the front of the enclosure and the size of Bobby Shearers thighs as he came towards me. He was as broad as he was tall.

Greig-MacKinnon-Baxter-Henderson -MacMillan-Millar-Brand and Wilson.

Feel bad for today's fans who don't have a settled team to memorize!

My all time Hero Jimmy Millar, he’d would have headered through a brick wall for the Rangers, cut him in two like a tree, and instead of rings it would have been RFC RFC RFC RFC RFC RFC RFC RFC and so on. Sadly the charlatans that play for our Club now, have money first and RFC Second.

McCloy Jardine and Greig, Forsyth Jackson and McDonald, McLean Russell,Johnstone Smith & Cooper.
You're right, it doesn't quite have the same fluency.
One for the statos on here. How many times did the above eleven take the field together.

That was the team I remember as a youngster, but could recite earlier variations whom I never seen play, like the half back line of Davis, Baillie, Baxter and Alex Scott on the right wing.

In those days you knew who was playing before you went to the game and if anybody got injured you knew which reserve player would step in for them.

From that team who remembers who would take over if our goalie got injured during the game? No subs in them days.

After the ball was centred
After the whistle blew
Wee Scott got up his temper
And down the wing he flew
He passed to Maxie Murray
Who scored a beautiful goal
Its one goal up for Rangers
And Celtic up the pole

My first Rangers song :)

Younger supporter here (although at 33 I suppose I’m approaching Rangers Da territory...), so obviously never watched any of these legends play live, but Willie Henderson came into my work once to promote the charity in his late daughter’s name, and I remember being star struck on behalf of my old man and his old man! He was an absolute gentleman and was more than happy to take time talking about Rangers and his career. The football stuff aside, the work he does for that charity and to help young women like his daughter is absolutely amazing. Jealous of older bears that were lucky enough to see him, jimmy miller etc live. Back when being a Ranger meant more than your pay packet!

Ritchie
Shearer
Caldow

Davis
Baillie
Baxter

Scott
McMillan
Miller
Brand and
Wilson

The first team I memorised.

The second:

Brown, Hamilton, Caldow.....

My old man would often read out that team after a night out at the pub. He was sorely reminiscing and longing for the glory days of the early 60's instead of the false dawns with John Greig and Jock Wallace's 2nd stint in charge and a near monopoly with Aberdeen and Dundee United being the so called New Firm.

He did quote Davis instead of Greig tho. I imagine Greig was still too young to be considered ahead of Davis in that side?

I remember that team being rhymed off, but only saw Greig, McKinnon and Henderson play for us. And Davie Wilson for Dundee Utd and Dumbarton.

Back