RMT taking strike action - majority of trains across Scotland cancelled tomorrow

Modernisation coming across the entire UK rail network though so things will change.
There has been no improvements in the railways since privatisation. Heaps of money have been thrown at it - far more than when it was state controlled - but most of this money goes to foreign shareholders who are mainly (state controlled) railways..

There has been a decline in management skills and this has permeated all through the system. Cut costs = cut staff= cut safety/cut standards. Like the NHS and Defence, railways are essential to a state. And in ours private profit is being prioritised

There has been no improvements in the railways since privatisation. Heaps of money have been thrown at it - far more than when it was state controlled - but most of this money goes to foreign shareholders who are mainly (state controlled) railways..

There has been a decline in management skills and this has permeated all through the system. Cut costs = cut staff= cut safety/cut standards. Like the NHS and Defence, railways are essential to a state. And in ours private profit is being prioritised
The main difference being we used to get a decent annual payrise which I never got in the decade j was in the military.

The main difference being we used to get a decent annual payrise which I never got in the decade j was in the military.
Which is a disgrace. One estimate by a senior civil servant I met at a dinner was that only 20% of defence spending did not go into private coffers

Driverless trains on the UK main network is a total non starter. It's far too intricate, or, its too remote.

Caledonian Sleeper hit a land slide the other week. Who would fancy something like that happening with an automated train? Thankfully the driver was able to control the train through it and then report it to be fixed so any trains following could be stopped for it to be cleared. Had it been a lighter train hitting it things might have been different.

Driverless trains on the UK main network is a total non starter. It's far too intricate, or, its too remote.

Caledonian Sleeper hit a land slide the other week. Who would fancy something like that happening with an automated train? Thankfully the driver was able to control the train through it and then report it to be fixed so any trains following could be stopped for it to be cleared. Had it been a lighter train hitting it things might have been different.
Yes Inverness to London , automatic trains coming to you shortly :D its astounding anyone can think this will happen on the UK Railways. Only showing your ignorance as to what our railway system and infustructure is actually like . Will never happen in any of our lifetimes

"But eventually all trains will be driverless & have no conductors"
What century are we talking here :D

They've got them in parts of France and elsewhere. I was on a driver less train over 20 years ago in Toulouse. The platform had glass screens and sliding doors. When the train pulled in the doors on the train and the platform lined up. It still felt a little scary.

Councils are next.

Pay offer overwhelmingly rejected in March.

SNP will NOT move on it, so strike action balloted and voted in favour

edit sorry i never realised it was the bear pit letting travelling fans know

d'ohh

They've got them in parts of France and elsewhere. I was on a driver less train over 20 years ago in Toulouse. The platform had glass screens and sliding doors. When the train pulled in the doors on the train and the platform lined up. It still felt a little scary.

Straight backwards and forwards line then fine. They have them in London as well. Not on a network built by the victorians

As above. Nightmare for folks getting to and from the game, especially as the subway will also be closed by kick off
with allocated time slots i think most of us will be driving, i have to there for half four and take into account the M8 traffic jam at towhead, might just try the 74

Straight backwards and forwards line then fine. They have them in London as well. Not on a network built by the victorians

I wasnt implying we can get rid of drivers. Just thought Id give others an insight into the possibilities for the future.

Henry Ford had threatened to replace all his workers with robots until someone asked him how many robots would buy one of his cars.

I think the future will see more and more jobs disappear. Governments will need to introduce a Universal Basic Income for people to live on. Those still in work will pay tax on this as it will be taxable. Those with just UBI will have to budget to live on it. Virtually all other welfare payments will go. People will need to take responsibility for the life choices they make. If you choose not to work or cant find work then that's up to you.

It aint perfect but it shifts the emphasis away from dependency to individual responsibility.

The GLASGOW TO AYR SERVICE is running with the last train leaving Glasgow central at 21:00hrs (only station not stopping at is Troon)

Gives us just over an hour to walk into central station from Ibrox before last train

Last edited:

Pre-covid I was on trains all around the country every day. The gradual and incremental improvements to timetables, stations, train sets and general state of the system is far, far better than the 1990s.

Timekeeping and capacity has got worse more recently because the system is bursting at capacity (and needs investment for sure) but to say it's stood still since the mid-90s is a nonsense. The main point of privatisation was to introduce private sector experience in growing a market, which has resulted in a billion more passenger journeys a year (750m-1750m in 25 years) - in a sense, it's been more successful than we can afford.

Show me a company which has made the kind of excess profits you describe and I'll show you plenty who lost fortunes on it - if anything the UK has learned that the state has to control the railways since it owns the risk, and might as well just get on with it.

Pre-covid I was on trains all around the country every day. The gradual and incremental improvements to timetables, stations, train sets and general state of the system is far, far better than the 1990s.

Timekeeping and capacity has got worse more recently because the system is bursting at capacity (and needs investment for sure) but to say it's stood still since the mid-90s is a nonsense. The main point of privatisation was to introduce private sector experience in growing a market, which has resulted in a billion more passenger journeys a year (750m-1750m in 25 years) - in a sense, it's been more successful than we can afford.

Show me a company which has made the kind of excess profits you describe and I'll show you plenty who lost fortunes on it - if anything the UK has learned that the state has to control the railways since it owns the risk, and might as well just get on with it.

Timetables won't return to pre covid levels as performance is much improved with current network capacity.

I'll be honest, when the pandemic hit I was just happy to have a job. I'm seeing things differently now, but with the franchise ending hopefully OT etc. will come back on.

Nothing to do with attitude Coplandakeklord, too many posters are utterly clueless regarding how railway's work in this country and the antiquated system we work under. Automation What do you
you mean ? Surely not main line in the UK never in your lifetime and I don't even need to ask your age..
Exactly, its easy to use the Subway as an example for automation, its a circle with the same trains running through it day after day, no junctions, no differing speeds requiring regulation of express and local traffic, freight etc, it's easy knock the railway when you know absolutely nothing about what makes it all tick.

I am afraid that you seem to have fallen for the propoganda of the train companies. It is all smoke and mirrors. Trains don't run to time? Answer? Make the journies longer.

We have not had a new design of rolling stock for more than 20+ years.

Passenger numbers are up? Once upon a time a journey from say, Brighton to Ayr was counted as but one journey. Nowadays it is counted as three (Brighton to London to Glasgow to Ayr.

Also once upon a time you could walk into Glasgow Central and buy a train ticket to anywhere in Europe (except USSR) and get times and reservations. All within 20 minutes. Try that nowadays.

Did I say excess profits? I did not. What I did say was that profitability was being prioritised over a giving a service. We subsidise the railways by £800m PER MONTH. Under British Rail the organisation covered its marginal costs.

Yet you try to tell people that the service has improved.

I am afraid that you seem to have fallen for the propoganda of the train companies. It is all smoke and mirrors. Trains don't run to time? Answer? Make the journies longer.

Passenger numbers are up? Once upon a time a journey from say, Brighton to Ayr was counted as but one journey. Nowadays it is counted as three (Brighton to London to Glasgow to Ayr.

Also once upon a time you could walk into Glasgow Central and buy a train ticket to anywhere in Europe (except USSR) and get times and reservations. All within 20 minutes. Try that nowadays.

Did I say excess profits? I did not. What I did say was that profitability was being prioritised over a giving a service. We subsidise the railways by £800m PER MONTH. Under British Rail the organisation covered its marginal costs.

Are you just talking about scotrail? Plenty TOCs have new rolling stock.

Class 380's on the Ayr/Glasgow suburban, entered service 2011.
Class 385's on most of Central Scotland electric services, entered service 2017.

Just two that spring to mind.

Back