Rob Maclean - Joe Lewis is the best goalkeeper in Scottish football.

Ian-RFC

There can't be any doubt about it. Joe Lewis is the best goalkeeper in Scottish football.

His saves in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Hearts at Murrayfield maintained Aberdeen's unbeaten start to the league season.

A couple of big Joe's stops were stunning. The expressions on the faces of denied Jambos pair Jamie Walker and Isma Goncalves told the story.

But it's his consistency of top-level performance which, for me, makes him the best of the bunch.

How many major mistakes can you remember Lewis making in the year or so he's been at Pittodrie? No, they're not exactly screaming out at me either.

Does anyone know if this is a valid observation?
I don't watch those teams unless they are playing The Rangers.

I'd take Fod every day, but he is a good keeper and like above, better than Gordon. Keeper is one area the micks could deffo improve on.

No idea if that is true. In fairness, Scottish football isn't blessed with top goalkeepers at the moment. I'd say Wes is one of the best but he has his weaknesses. Always thought Bain at Dundee is a good keeper. Hearts goalie is utter mince, as is Gordon. Not sure what the other teams' keepers are like

I watched the tainted BBC coverage last night as we were on first, but the Sheep followed our match so I thought I'd have a quick check on some rivals.

Lewis had an astonishing game. Two of his saves were bordering on miraculous. But he had another 4 or 5 good saves as well. He stopped Hearts winning that match comfortably, as they were miles better than the Sheep for at least an hour of the game.

So, first time I've watched him, but if he produces stuff like that every week, it's a decent shout to call him the country's No1. That's being truthful.

Good keeper, i'd argue Fod is better but can't blame any sheep for thinking Lewis is tbh

Both are better than Gordon

The Sheep rate him very highly. From what Ive seen of him he looks good and the highlights from the weekend prove that.

He just doesnt look like a footballer though. Total skinny, junkie looking.

I'd always take Fod

I think he's a good keeper - no doubt in that. He's not better than Foderingham - no way in fact. He's possibly better than Gordon - although, he is less likely to try and injure fellow professionals because he'll not get away with it.

The Sheep rate him very highly. From what Ive seen of him he looks good and the highlights from the weekend prove that.

He just doesnt look like a footballer though. Total skinny, junkie looking.

I'd always take Fod

Thought you were describing yourself there :D

Does anyone know if this is a valid observation?
I don't watch those teams unless they are playing The Rangers.

Let us hope it is a valid observation. It reads like the Tarts would have stuffed the "2nd best team in Scotland" bar Lewis having a great game. Considering a couple of weeks ago, the Tarts could hardly get in our half!

Not seen a great deal of him, but what I have seen is enough to say he is one of the best in the league. Not seen enough of him to say if he is better than Foderingham or Gordon for that matter, but he does seem to be earning a lot of praise.

Fod worries me sometimes........almost bomb scare scale. Deliveries into the box are not his strongpoint.....

Not seen much of him at all but i have always been of the belief that we had the best goal keepers from Woods all the way through to Mcgregor. I don't have that same confidence at the moment....

He played an absolute blinder looking at the Sportscene highlights
First time i have watched more than our highlights on sportscene and it was just to see how the crowd was set up for murrayfield. Also first time i have noticed the sheep keeper, he was fucking outstanding for them and if he is putting in performances like that every week then i could not disagree with McLean.

I watched their highlights last night and the guy definitely had an incredible game. I think Craig Gordon is starting to lose it big time, but whether or not Lewis is the country's best is open to debate.

Watching the highlights last night I think it's fair to say he was the reason Aberdeen came away with a point.

In saying that, I don't ever recall him having any other stand out performances to warrant Rob Maclean's - Best Keeper In Scotland quote.

Not seen Lewis in action but Gordon is definitely on the decline.

Hopefully celtc keep him for the next two seasons.

He had an outstanding game at the weekend. Best in Scotland? I would maybe say so. I think Wes is the best shot stopper, he's comfortably premier league level at that, but for me he fails to deal with crosses and his distribution could be a lot better. For me those areas of Lewis' game are better.

He had an outstanding game at the weekend. Best in Scotland? I would maybe say so. I think Wes is the best shot stopper, he's comfortably premier league level at that, but for me he fails to deal with crosses and his distribution could be a lot better. For me those areas of Lewis' game are better.

Agreed but for me Wes gets beaten by far too many shots from outside the box for the size of him

So he was outstanding at the weekend?

How many times in the last year have we heard how great he is?
How many times has anyone said he's the best in Scotland?
Surely if he's producing this week in week out, we'd all know about his greatness?

The guy may be the best in Scotland but to me that just reads like classic FF with him being judged solely on one game.

He might be right, not as if there is a Woods, Goram or Klos around these days.
Although if he was all that good, surely an English club would have bought him instead of successive loans to sheep city?

Back