Rob MacLean

Years ago my son and his mates who were around 12 years old went to watch Stirling Albion v Hibs in a cup match and McLean was doing commentry, got talking to him and told him they were all Rangers fans to which he replies "so am i" might have just been trying to be friendly but who knows.
Afraid of getting a kicking, he hates us.

He sounds like he has his balls in a vice while commentating on us. As if he has been dealt the short straw.

Freelance commentator in doing commentary work shocker.

This place is unbearable at times honestly. If someone doesn't declare their undying love for Rangers on a weekly basis they're a Rangers hater.
And I find it very strange how some folk prefer defending those who dislike us rather than side with those who love Rangers.

Calm down Mearns. Even Stewart has been complimentary. Sooner or later like every other team on the planet we will have a nightmare.

Watch these bastards twist the knife.

I don't doubt that.

All I said was he'd been fair and complimentary with his Europa commentaries.

No more, no less, Woodrow.

You can hear his decibels drop when we score and soar when we lose a goal. He can't hide it and surprised nobody from BT has pulled him up about it.

And I find it very strange how some folk prefer defending those who dislike us rather than side with those who love Rangers.

Unless anyone knows him personally, there's absolutely nothing in his work to say MacLean hates Rangers. He doesn't get excited enough for people but that's his commentary style. I don't mind him as a commentator for our games at all.

Remember him commentating on BBC Scotland during the treble season and then with Scott Booth I think on Sentanta. Never thought he was that bad until the past few seasons.

I agree with you.

I don't think folk can find an example of him being more enthusiastic sounding for a celtic goal over ours. But easier to go with the flow on here sometimes.

Unless anyone knows him personally, there's absolutely nothing in his work to say MacLean hates Rangers. He doesn't get excited enough for people but that's his commentary style. I don't mind him as a commentator for our games at all.

Funnily, he got plenty excited when we conceded after 40 seconds against villarreal.

Gets a lot of hate on here, but whilst everyone has been banging on about Celtic, and only going as far as to compliment Rangers as a “well oiled machine”, Rob MacLean constantly brings the conversation back to Rangers.

How our form is putting Them under constant pressure. Talks up the clean sheet record, the defensive record, the quality of our football, that teams across Europe will be taking notice of us.

Let’s be fair here, no team has produced the quality we are producing domestically and in Europe, in Scotland for a very long time. There is so much good to talk about with Rangers, yet the mentally challenged driven media is focusing on poor Lenny and their team, as opposed to what those shithawks at Sharkhead are up against with this Rangers squad.

MacLean is the one neutral who has been gushing in his praise for us.

On the latest Go Radio he even commented on a miss from McGregor against Milan as being “explained away as a good save on the tv, but for me it was a sitter”.

So anyone that’s willing to call their mob out for how shit they are, and provide genuine praise that is deserved off the back of how we are handling things, is a good guy in my book.

A few more objective pundits like that in Scotland wouldn’t go amiss.
Is that you Rob?

He sounds how I would sound if I was a commentating on the mentally challengeds scoring, trying to remain professional but dying inside

Freelance commentator in doing commentary work shocker.

This place is unbearable at times honestly. If someone doesn't declare their undying love for Rangers on a weekly basis they're a Rangers hater.

the OP described McLean as a neutral, I’m simply stating he is anything but.

if that’s difficult for you to comprehend and is too ‘unbearable’ then log off for a while

He clearly loathes us.
Sounds almost funereal when we score.
Talks down the opposition when we are winning and talks us down on the rare occasions we are struggling.
He was painful on Thursday and sounded depressed when we were awarded the penalty.

Gets a lot of hate on here, but whilst everyone has been banging on about Celtic, and only going as far as to compliment Rangers as a “well oiled machine”, Rob MacLean constantly brings the conversation back to Rangers.

How our form is putting Them under constant pressure. Talks up the clean sheet record, the defensive record, the quality of our football, that teams across Europe will be taking notice of us.

Let’s be fair here, no team has produced the quality we are producing domestically and in Europe, in Scotland for a very long time. There is so much good to talk about with Rangers, yet the mentally challenged driven media is focusing on poor Lenny and their team, as opposed to what those shithawks at Sharkhead are up against with this Rangers squad.

MacLean is the one neutral who has been gushing in his praise for us.

On the latest Go Radio he even commented on a miss from McGregor against Milan as being “explained away as a good save on the tv, but for me it was a sitter”.

So anyone that’s willing to call their mob out for how shit they are, and provide genuine praise that is deserved off the back of how we are handling things, is a good guy in my book.

A few more objective pundits like that in Scotland wouldn’t go amiss.
Nothing wrong with Rob McLean, paranoid rubbish, not the most exciting and that is all you can say.

You’ll struggle to find anyone involved with Scottish football that hasn’t played for/managed us that doesn’t get slaughtered on here. MacLean and Crocker being two examples.

tenor.gif
I put my hand out there:D

McLean is in the same bracket as walker and his fat pal when commentating our games, it's like a death in the family when we're playing well, to the excitement of the opposition having a near miss,
He's a wank,

The 25 yard screamer on the half volley? Case closed then. He's basically in the IRA.

Presumably in that case he would get equally, if not more excited at a player beating 4 men in his own half before scoring from just inside his own half?

I mean if his excitement levels are simply based upon what is or isn't spectacular.

Or it could just be that his excitement levels increase significantly whenever an opponent scores against us and sound like someone has told him his granny had just died anytime we score!

Definitely Aberdeen mate.

I've met him a couple of times.

Certainly had no axe to grind with us, although he was sitting with a table of Bears. :))
I got pulled on here last week for talking to him.

He sounded gutted when standard scored to be honest, but I'll leave mentally challenged behaviour to mentally challengeds and the likes of Alex jones.

'MacLean is the one neutral who has been gushing in his praise for us.' .. Eh?

Sorry OP, Rob MacLean's commentary on Rangers games tells us all we need to know, eg Roofe's goal at StandArd barely raised his BPM above resting... too long working in the Pro sellick years, even drags his co-comms down to his level, he hails from up here, know a few of his family members here in Easter Ross, and can guarantee his reaction to a County goal tomorrow would be chalk and cheese compared to a goal from us... but after all our games he has covered so far this season, poor lad must be suffering ;) :))

His low-key reaction to the Roofe goal in Belgium, probably one of the greatest goals McLean will ever see in the flesh, said it all.

If an undertaker were to be a football commentator in his spare time, it would be Rob Mclean. His delivery is painfully dull.

'MacLean is the one neutral who has been gushing in his praise for us.' .. Eh?

Sorry OP, Rob MacLean's commentary on Rangers games tells us all we need to know, eg Roofe's goal at StandArd barely raised his BPM above resting... too long working in the Pro sellick years, even drags his co-comms down to his level, he hails from up here, know a few of his family members here in Easter Ross, and can guarantee his reaction to a County goal tomorrow would be chalk and cheese compared to a goal from us... but after all our games he has covered so far this season, poor lad must be suffering ;) :))
Must be accurate, it's in bold.

He's fine. The paranoia in our support is like I imagine Kerryfail threads are on a regular basis.

I know Rob and his family well and while he unfortunately lacks excitement in his commentary, he’s far from a Rangers hater. Ross County fan from Invergorden and really doesn’t have a dog in the fight between us or them. His kids/wife are supporters of them but both as far from bitter as you could meet. In fact they are accepting of how impressive we’ve been and pretty resigned to the fact we have them over a barrel just now. Rob himself is just doing his job and particularly happy we are doing well as it keeps him in a gig with BT and he’s been effusive in his praise for us when speaking to him. Agree he’s very dour on commentary and that seems to be his way, very little excitement even at huge moments (see roofe goal, aribo vs braga etc.) Its not great to hear and we could do with better, but to crucify him as a bitter rangers hater the way some do on here is laughable. The fact most Celtic fans see him in the same light tells you everything. Not great to listen too, but far from a hater.

Last edited:
I know Rob and his family well and while he unfortunately lacks excitement in his commentary, he’s far from a Rangers hater. Ross County fan from Invergorden and really doesn’t have a dog in the fight between us or them. His kids/wife are supporters of them but both as far from bitter as you could meet. In fact they are accepting of how impressive we’ve been and pretty resigned to the fact we have them over a barrel just now. Rob himself is just doing his job, in fact he’s particularly happy we are doing well as it keeps him in a gig with BT and he’s been effusive in his praise for us when speaking to him. Agree he’s very dour on commentary and that seems to be his way, very little excitement even at huge moments (see roofe goal, aribo vs braga etc.) Its not great to hear and we could do with better, but to crucify him as a bitter Rangers hater on here the way some do on here is laughable. The fact most Celtic fans see him in the same light tells you everything. Not great to listen too, but far from a hater.

Go listen to his reaction of Villarreal's opening goal from a couple years back. A good goal for sure, but compare it to the excitement of the Roofe goal.

Back