Rob McLean & Alex Rae

Rob McClean, just another Scottish commentator whose octaves and excitement rises when Rangers are under the cosh in defence or lose a goal but whose octaves and excitement lower when Rangers attack and score. Compare and contrast with English Radio 5 commentators who are just so positive when a British team plays well in Europe.

Rob McClean, just another Scottish commentator whose octaves and excitement rises when Rangers are under the cosh in defence or lose a goal but whose octaves and excitement lower when Rangers attack and score. Compare and contrast with English Radio 5 commentators who are just so positive when a British team plays well in Europe.
You're absolutely spot on with that.

It's so obvious with McLean that he lowers his tone when anything exciting is happening with us. Compare and contrast when the ball's at the other end and he gets all high and happy. Man is an utter lady's front bottom.

could be wrong but don't think i am did i hear McLean say just B4 kickoff this was Rangers last chance of a major trophy this year?
Are we not still in the SC & i've not given up on the league yet

I was going to mention this when I opened the thread. He did say that. Fu***ng erseole

As someone who didn't always like to have him as co-com, I think Alex Rae is very good and fair in his analysis of a game these days to the point I do enjoy him being there.

If McLean phoned me up to tell me I'd won the Euromillions I'd tell them to keep it. One dreary get.

Good grief is your remote broken. Just turn down the sound,simples.
Why let anyones opinion you don't favour in to your living room and then start to complain online about it.

I like Rae. Only thing that annoys me about him is he constantly comes out with all the modern shite like, low block, high press, transitions etc etc.

Maybe I’m stuck in the past!

Can’t say I noticed much issue with either to be honest. Certainly nothing that stopped my enjoyment of the game.
However if your looking to be annoyed or upset then I’m sure you can always find something.

Rob McLean sounds as though a member of his family has just died whenever we get a chance.
He's always been like that, and not just concerning us. Just generally a downbeat kind of commentator. Still miles better than that Liam McLeod character with his wee squeaky excitable tones.

Alex Rae was a breath of fresh air compared to what we usually get, clearly a Rangers man but still able to call the game honestly.

McLean? A bitter, angry little weasel who couldn't stop referring to last weeks first 60 minutes as if Braga were being conned out of their rightful place.

I thought they were fine. In fact I thought McLean was positive about us overall. People are always looking to be offended and look far too deeply in to things.

Rae is maybe a wee bit too West of Scotland with some of his pronunciations and colloquialisms but I don't mind him.

Whilst Rob McLean has never had much time for us he's certainly gotten a lot worse than he was when bbc had the rights from 02-04.

dennistoun innit

The only thing that annoyed me was everytime hagi got the ball McLean came out with "Hagi the hero of Ibrox last week"

Am I the only one who instantly forgets what commentators say if I even pay any attention to them at all? Why would you let somebody describe what they’re watching annoy you?

Just wish I got a pound for everytime Rae said 'rob'. Would have made some serious dough the last couple of games

You know something. At the full time whistle last night I actually thought to myself “great result...I wonder what thing people will find on FF to be furious and Moan about...probably rob McLean”

yup. You haven’t disappointed.
Honestly, there was nothing outrageous or offensive about the commentary last night.

If you genuinely get worked up about Rob McLeans commentary, if you fee the need to go on about it after every European game, maybe it’s time to see a therapist.

I thought the commentary last night was fine.

Mclean might be be dour, but it’s his style of commentary and it’s not just unique to when we are playing, he’s generally a miserable sounding character.

I don’t get the same underhanded snide tone you get from Crocker/Walker with McLean.

They all could learn so much guys like Peter Drury, a commentator who sounds like a fan of every British team he comments on when they are playing in European competition.

Think Alex Rae stumbled over his words a bit at times but wasn’t too bad, maybe a little out of his depth/comfort zone but generally was alright “you have to say Rob”

After the game McLean went on and on about Braga being 2 goals up and blowing it, only after did he grudgingly praise Rangers.

Plenty on here posted that we would regret our missed chances and to be honest I agreed with them. Just the mindset I think, we've all seen it too many times before. All over a team, bang 1-0 down.

Yes I was like that too. What I meant was that the commentators, who are not supposed to be fans, seem to let that colour their view of how the game is going, which in fact was that rangers were in control, making chances, not conceding any chances, etc.

Mclean sounding like he wanted to burst into tears of sadness when we scored. Utter mug get it up him.

Yes I was like that too. What I meant was that the commentators, who are not supposed to be fans, seem to let that colour their view of how the game is going, which in fact was that rangers were in control, making chances, not conceding any chances, etc.
I turned on radio scotland at the final whistle and to be fair they were ok, but it wasnt made up of the usual mob. It was David Currie, Neil McCann and Billy Dodds who all said the exact same as you, that rangers were in control. After the first 60 minutes last week and the st johnstone performance, I doubt many seen that coming, not just the result, more so the display.

Have no issues with the commentary last night, was fine. Don’t see what the problem is, at least it wasn’t Sutton, Stewart or Craigan.

Have to watch with the sound off when that twat mclean is commentating. He would've been absolutely gutted last night that he didn't have a Braga goal to celebrate.

Rob (you wouldn’t of expected this result after 60 mins of the last game) Mclean
Must of said it 50 times.

You would at least expect BT to employ a commentator who has Rangers at heart for these occasions.They seem to manage it with little difficulty when Celtc are playing.Last night he was constantly looking for a downer on Rangers.Alex Rae does not exude Rangers favouritism,whereas McLean seems to enjoy the negativity,mentioning it repeatedly.

We all call for balanced, fair commentary. (mentioned on many a post in here)

We ask for people not to be biased but simply honest in what they see.

In my opinion Rae is exactly this and yet he's called out saying he's hopeless etc.

No pleasing folk.

Don't get the antagonism towards Rae. He was fine. He may be a bear - and thank god there's one at least commentating- but generally he calls it as it is, good or bad for us. Ally was good as well.

The most excited McLean got last night was when the Braga guy had a
chance with a header in the first half. He was poised to celebrate.

Back