Rob McLean

I honestly think he’s just a bad commentator. He’s much louder for the third goal so it’s not a bias thing.

I think for the Aribo goal it’s just poor commentary. There’s a skill to knowing how to react, what to say and also how much to say. He talks too much in the build up to the goal and it all just becomes waffle and takes the excitement out of it.

It’s not being biased, it’s just being not very good.

Tin hat on but i thought he was actually OK last night, much better than the usual sutton, crocker etc
Couldnt tell you how he reacted at Aribo or Hagi's goals, as I was too busy jumping about the living room!

I honestly think he’s just a bad commentator. He’s much louder for the third goal so it’s not a bias thing.

I think for the Aribo goal it’s just poor commentary. There’s a skill to knowing how to react, what to say and also how much to say. He talks too much in the build up to the goal and it all just becomes waffle and takes the excitement out of it.

It’s not being biased, it’s just being not very good.
This for me - always found him to be a really poor commentator with a monotone voice

We have’nt had a good Scottish commentator since the McPherson & Brown days

He is obviously a sheep fan but I always think he is relatively fair and professional. I’m not saying he is brilliant, far from it, but I prefer him to Crocker and Walker on SKY.

That's why Celtic fans reckon he's one of us. Anything other than blind hatred towards us is seen as being on our side.

Saw the BT highlights and he sounded fine? Actually low key at the Braga goals, louder at ours - although you could tell it was through gritted teeth.
Agree I thought he was fine. Rae was also good, very honest and Braga deserved a lot of praise for that first hour. We were bad but they battered us.

James McFadden was purring at half time of Celtic's game. It genuinely sounded like a fanboy who was getting totally carried away. It was just a matter of how many Celtic would score and then resting some players.

I don't like him.

But I actually thought "our own" Alex Rae was worse last night.

Even after our comeback.

I think he's a bad commentator but I'm just surprised that BT can't spend money on putting an English commentator at the game

they must know by now that a lot of Rangers fans don't like Scottish commentators and it's not as if we are going to complain about having an English one - it's not as if we are the hootsman community who would be raging if Scotland somehow got to Euro 2020 and they used the network BBC/ITV commentators for the game rather than crappy amateur Scottish ones on BBC Scotland or STV

What is it with some on here? After that result, let's have a moan about something. Cant have a pop at the players, so let's have a go at the commentary.

Enjoy the occasion for fecks sake, wont be many European nights like that.

From what I heard the commentary was fine. Actually spoke to him at glasgow airport waiting for flight to Moscow in 2001, he had tricky trev along with him as co commentator. He was actually ok. Dont let some good old paranoia get in the way of a fine morning after.

He was fine mate.

Better than anyone on BT, BBC or Sky. He sounded enthusiastic when we scored as did Rae and not as snidey as %^*& like Crocker, Walker and Sutton.

Infact McLean, Rae, Thomson and esp Mjallby were very professional. Mjallby for me is up there with wee McCann as the best in studio pundit.

Just speculating as to why McLean sounded so unhappy at Aribos top notch goal. I also mentioned McLean was white but you focus on the mention of Aribo. Interesting.
The fact the colour of someone's skin is the first thought of why a certain person sounded unhappy at that person scoring is worrying.

Strange man.
Ok. Dont you wonder why he seemed fairly upbeat(for him talking about a Rangers goal) when Hagi scored his 2 goals yet when Aribo scored he sounded as if he was commentating his dog getting put to sleep to his kids. Just insinuating something, probably nothing more than coincidence but it is what it is. I hate Rob McLean, if you like him. Good for you.

Ok. Dont you wonder why he seemed fairly upbeat(for him talking about a Rangers goal) when Hagi scored his 2 goals yet when Aribo scored he sounded as if he was commentating his dog getting put to sleep to his kids. Just insinuating something, probably nothing more than coincidence but it is what it is. I hate Rob McLean, if you like him. Good for you.
I cant stand him but you immediately assuming its to do with race is worrying.

Just watched it and he didn’t appear to be hurting at all.

Went fairly mental at our winning goal.
Just fairly low key overall.

There are much worse.

What is it with some on here? After that result, let's have a moan about something. Cant have a pop at the players, so let's have a go at the commentary.

Enjoy the occasion for fecks sake, wont be many European nights like that.

From what I heard the commentary was fine. Actually spoke to him at glasgow airport waiting for flight to Moscow in 2001, he had tricky trev along with him as co commentator. He was actually ok. Dont let some good old paranoia get in the way of a fine morning after.

You go on and on about paranoia mate and its starting to come across as a bit, well para. You have met the guy at the airport so what i doubt hes going to be telling fans he hopes their team gets beat in a euro tie ofcourse, he will be be quite friendly. Sure Crocker and others are too.

Rob McLean hates Rangers he is poison, hes been completely biased against us for years thats why hes working at the bbc and why was also with setanta. I cant comment on last night but i wouldnt get too upset with the op, not sure his thread means hes not enjoying the result and a happy bear today..... now on to the most important issue we face dishonest, biased, corrrupt, scottish referees.

Last edited:
What the %^*& is the point mentioning aribo being black?

Aye, unless I’m missing something or you’re making some sort of racism accusation against McLean which I don’t think is well-founded I don’t think there’s any need to make that comment. Benefit of the doubt, but in this climate there’s enough of an issue with racism without bringing it up unnecessarily.

Aye, unless I’m missing something or you’re making some sort of racism accusation against McLean which I don’t think is well-founded I don’t think there’s any need to make that comment. Benefit of the doubt, but in this climate there’s enough of an issue with racism without bringing it up unnecessarily.
Yes i'm insinuating a sub conscious racism about his commentary. I dont think pointing out potential racism is ever unnecessary. Alfredo has had to suffer a fair amount. Sorry to bring it up, it seems to have offended many.

He was revelling in how far behind on play we were when one of the Brazilians (Trincao? sp) screwed his shot wide that for all the world looked to be going in.
The bold Rob was about to tell us it was 2-0. “And there’s t...Trincao”.

Listen on the highlights.:))

other than not liking us, I have no idea how he's lasted so long on the telly

he was doing Sportscene in the 90s and he was crap then as well

Yes i'm insinuating a sub conscious racism about his commentary. I dont think pointing out potential racism is ever unnecessary. Alfredo has had to suffer a fair amount. Sorry to bring it up, it seems to have offended many.
I’m not offended - but I’m not sure that Rob McLean’s lack of enthusiasm for Joe’s goal was grounded in any form of conscious or unconscious racism just a patent dislike of Rangers.

Like I said, benefit of the doubt - you won’t find many complaints from anyone here on calling out racism - we all support that but when you talk about “potential” racism and are suggesting racism where there isn’t any obvious evidence or suggestion of it then you also need to be prepared to accept that’s likely to be queried.

Has there ever been a commentator who makes it so obvious how much he enjoys it when we are losing and seems to be suffering when we go in front.
I don't think so, I think hes just incredibly dull and boring no matter what's happening.

I’m not offended - but I’m not sure that Rob McLean’s lack of enthusiasm for Joe’s goal was grounded in any form of conscious or unconscious racism just a patent dislike of Rangers.

Like I said, benefit of the doubt - you won’t find many complaints from anyone here on calling out racism - we all support that but when you talk about “potential” racism and are suggesting racism where there isn’t any obvious evidence or suggestion of it then you also need to be prepared to accept that’s likely to be queried.

Happy for it to be queried, don't regret calling it out.

Happy for it to be queried, don't regret calling it out.
I think that’s fair enough. I’m not saying you shouldn’t - call it where you see it and I respect you doing so but for me I can’t see a link between McLean’s reaction (or lack of) and the colour of Joe Aribo’s skin.

You can understand, presumably, why people would perceive it as injecting racism into a conversation where it doesn’t appear on the face of it to be relevant? That said unconscious bias/racism is a big problem and you see that in some of the Morelos reporting for example so I’m not going to have a go at you for pointing out something you perceive to have those undertones whether I agree or not.

You go on and on about paranoia mate and its starting to come across as a bit, well para. You have met the guy at the airport so what i doubt hes going to be telling fans he hopes their team gets beat in a euro tie ofcourse, he will be be quite friendly. Sure Crocker and others are too.

Rob McLean hates Rangers he is poison, hes been completely biased against us for years thats why hes working at the bbc and why was also with setanta. I cant comment on last night but i wouldnt get too upset with the op, not sure his thread means hes not enjoying the result and a happy bear today..... now on to the most important issue we face dishonest, biased, corrrupt, scottish referees.
Be happy for once. Some only post on here when it's a negative and causing strive among ourselves.

The flight was full of rangers fans and nobody gave him any grief,so maybe that's telling. Tell you what, you go on about all this so much. Why dont you and the others go start a pressure group of some sort if you feel that strongly about it and stop posting all this on here for everyone outside of rangers to have a good laugh at.

Lot of the usual lot who like nothing more than having a go at the club, were nowhere to be seen last night. Wonder why that is?

Back