Rob McLean

What is it with some on here? After that result, let's have a moan about something. Cant have a pop at the players, so let's have a go at the commentary.

Enjoy the occasion for fecks sake, wont be many European nights like that.

From what I heard the commentary was fine. Actually spoke to him at glasgow airport waiting for flight to Moscow in 2001, he had tricky trev along with him as co commentator. He was actually ok. Dont let some good old paranoia get in the way of a fine morning after.
Pot and kettle mate.You do a fair bit of moaning on here. :D

Both McLean's and Rae's gushing praise of Braga during the first half was over the top. I'm sure we could all see that they knew how to play the game. It got so bad at one point I considered turning the volume down and when an ex Ranger is commentating that's one thing you should never have to do.

He did. Remove the tinted specs. Calling it a magnificent goal. When he could have just said ......and Aribo scores to make it 2-2.

I though he was fine. Each to their own. Hes certainly no crocker.

It’s a Scottish team in Europe who’ve just equalised with a sensational solo goal after appearing dead and buried.

I’d expect a supposedly impartial commentator to be raising the roof.

Can you really say MacLean did that?

Has he ever, for any of our goals?

He's a terrible commentator. Always sounds like someone has just died with his boring monotone voice. How hard can it be to get a decent commentator in Scotland?

Scottish commentators have always sounded doom-laden when it comes to Rangers in Europe.

Even the much-praised, nostalgically revered Archie McPherson was guilty of it. One Champions League night at Ibrox Michael Mols lost possession during an attack and McPherson lamented, "This really is dreadful stuff from Rangers." There was one minute, seventeen seconds on the clock!

It’s a Scottish team in Europe who’ve just equalised with a sensational solo goal after appearing dead and buried.

I’d expect a supposedly impartial commentator to be raising the roof.

Can you really say MacLean did that?

Has he ever, for any of our goals?
For me he sounded well impressed with all the goals. Slated us at points but no worse than what was said on here and talked us up. I have zero issues with the commentary last night

The other BT Sport commentator Rory Hamilton is far better.

Peter Drury is the best in the business.

Richard Gordon is far worse. For complicated, unavoidable work related reasons, I wasn't there last night, and found myself driving home (quickly) during the second half. My only way of keeping up was BBC Scotland Radio. Being the BBC they had no commentary, but had the game on in tsh studio and spent most of the time talking about how poor we were. Then Braga scored and Gordon couldn't hide his delight. We got the goal back as I reached the house. 'oh' says Richard, not even attempting to hide his disappointment. I was punching the air before he added 'Rangers have scored'.

Genuine question - surely Rangers have a case to say that. given the BBC's failure to provide the service they pay for, namely to provide radio commentary for games at Ibrox, that the contract is null and so Rangers can provide radio commentary instead?

Yes i'm insinuating a sub conscious racism about his commentary. I dont think pointing out potential racism is ever unnecessary. Alfredo has had to suffer a fair amount. Sorry to bring it up, it seems to have offended many.
If you felt he reacted the same way to all the black players in our team then fair enough that could be filed under potential racism but I don't see how you can arrive at this conclusion after one piece of flat commentary regarding a single player.

Pointing out actual racism, like what Morelos has received, is definitely necessary but making accusations based on leaps in logic is not

He really is a dick

Once caught him pissing in the sink in il pavone and when he got told to behave he claimed to be CID. So that makes pissing in a sink ok then you fucking twat?

Hes much better than Crocker, walker bbc highlights.
Agree he has a monotone voice but hes never going to be football Italy!

One commentator I miss is David Begg, genuinely thought he had the unique talent to describe a pish game as mildly exciting.

Has there ever been a commentator who makes it so obvious how7 much he enjoys it when we are losing and seems to be suffering when we go in front.

You're paranoid, just like a fair number of posters on this 1st page.

I had to check i was on FF judging by the paranoia that's quite apparent :eek:

He is an awful commentator. I know I am watching the game with my eyes there is no need to tell me the ball is out of play.

Every single commentator I've heard will say the ball's out of play, can't see your issue with that.

I felt that Alex Rae was just calling it as he saw it - an honest appraisal, particularly when we were under the cosh. McLean however didn't seem his earlier chirpier self once we had started scoring. Wonder why, eh?

Alex Rae wasnt the only one fawning over them, check the match thread.

Dont have a problem with that, he's working for bt, not RTV. Dont understand the need to have a kick at a rangers man. He was delighted, especially after the 3rd goal.

In fact, why are we wasting our time talking about McLean, who cares.

I'd take Peter Drury and Ally over them all.
That's a good commentary team and have enjoyed the games they covered - Ally slips into the co-commentator role very easily and adds alot of good stuff.

Watched the highlights earlier and Rob MacLean was fine - don't understand the critiscim towards him on this thread.

Never mind him, that other tit in the studio repeatedly banging on about the Morelos yellow card!

The wife used to be a customer service dolly in Tesco milngavie. Rob Mclean lost his phone and had to come and collect it? How did he prove it was his? By correctly identifying The larsson tongue celebration screen saver of course.

The wife used to be a customer service dolly in Tesco milngavie. Rob Mclean lost his phone and had to come and collect it? How did he prove it was his? By correctly identifying The larsson tongue celebration screen saver of course.

Ex girlfriend knew him well, he was definitely an Aberdeen fan with more of a leaning to Rangers than Celtic back in the mid 2000s. I don't believe he would of had that as a screensaver.

James McFadden was purring at half time of Celtic's game. It genuinely sounded like a fanboy who was getting totally carried away. It was just a matter of how many Celtic would score and then resting some players.
Total cockgobbler of a man. Cant stand listening to his shite.

The worst commentator EVER has to be Geraldo McPish.
No way. I mean McNee is up there with Ian Archer in the ‘despicable Rangers hating scum’ rankings but when I watch the 8 in a row game as Gazza strokes in his majestic second goal I think the commentary is spot on. He managed it in games against the vermin too.
A prick like Crocker would never manage the same bombast describing a big Rangers win.
For all his many flaws Mcpish was a good commentator at a time when were smashing the yahoos on a regular basis.

Is he dead yet??

Back