Robbo - we were Souey's Iron Curtain

IIRC Sounness stated at the start of his tenure his concept to team building was to first concentrate on the spine of the team ie GK, CB's, CM, CF. and try to keep it unchanged when possible. The remainder could be allowed to have a more fluid approach. Stevie G seems to prefer a greater level of fluidity throughout the team. Dunno if that's just modern football for you but certainly two different approaches.

Funnily enough, watching us produce such a professional no nonsense performance against Livingston when they never got a sniff due to the quality of our central defensive partnership, I did find myself thinking of Butcher and Roberts.

As Souness knew, a successful side is always built on solid defensive foundations and I agree that it looks like we finally have a central partnership to add to the list of great duos of the past.

McGregor has been key to a lot of our solid defensive displays.

His contribution cannot be underestimated.

I hope we get 2 years more from him after this season, he's the main man for me at the back out them all.

IIRC Sounness stated at the start of his tenure his concept to team building was to first concentrate on the spine of the team ie GK, CB's, CM, CF. and try to keep it unchanged when possible. The remainder could be allowed to have a more fluid approach. Stevie G seems to prefer a greater level of fluidity throughout the team. Dunno if that's just modern football for you but certainly two different approaches.
Gerrards rotation is more through necessity than choice I think. We play more games in a condensed window now.

Back