Robert Prosinecki

Smoked like a chimney by all accounts. If that Red Star Belgrade team had stayed together ,they'd have dominated Europe for a good few years. Was at both games and they really were a cracking team. Obviously the war and break up of Yugoslavia finished that.
I agree was at both games aswell they were a great side.

There was a piece recently from his time at Portsmouth, can’t mind the player who it was that spoke about him, first impressions weren’t good, he literally could hardly run, was a chain smoker and looked dreadful. However, when on the ball he was an absolute genius, breathtaking in training and the players couldn’t get near him, he done Portsmouth a real turn and helped them stay up iirc.

He was well known for having a smoke at half time.

I remember from his time in England that some of his team mates werent impressed with him in training because he wouldnt run, and then he would tear them apart when he got the ball.

I have supported Pompey since I was 7 and when we signed him it was unbelievable. The guy still had it, and yes was well known for smoking like a chimney. Would have 2 at half time

i was at the game vs Barnsley in the Championship where he scored a hat trick, maybe the only hat trick in his career. He was literally taking the piss out of players.

Last edited:
Did he not have the tims chasing shadows for 80 minutes, got subbed and celebrated on the bench with a fag?

The first part definitely happened in a champions league qualifier

When he played for Red Star at Ibrox we could not even get near him to kick him. The press said that Red Star were not up to much and we were even worse and that they would not go much further. They got to the final that year and won

Memory is cloudy on this, but Red Star moved on the brilliant Dejan Stoikovic a year earlier and Prosnecki ran the show for them after that. That was a truly brilliant RSB side

Only man to score at two different world cups for two different countries. Neither of which were the country of his birth.

I met him a few times in a pub in Bearsden, not long after he left us. He was seeing a bird that worked there and my mate worked there too. Never without a fag in hand when I met him. An absolute gentleman to boot!

Nice mate. Got a wee "cool story Bro" myself. I'm only 32 so when the hammer video came out I was still in primary school. There was a wee guy in my class who stayed next to us so my maw used to take him up the road after school. One day the teacher suddenly said during class that me and him were to leave early and we're to head outside. My mum was sitting in the car and announced that she was taking us to the rangers shop for Albertz signing of his new video. And the school had allowed it. For to the rangers shop, waited in the cue and eventually met the big man. He was signing my hammer video and said "what would you like me to write?" I didn't really get the sentiment that he was asking if I wanted a personal message, I just knew it was an autograph signing, so I said "you're name" he was absolutely pishing himself laughing as we're my maw and the staff. Would like to think he remembers that wee stupid guy who came out with that confused comment like that haha

Nice mate. Got a wee "cool story Bro" myself. I'm only 32 so when the hammer video came out I was still in primary school. There was a wee guy in my class who stayed next to us so my maw used to take him up the road after school. One day the teacher suddenly said during class that me and him were to leave early and we're to head outside. My mum was sitting in the car and announced that she was taking us to the rangers shop for Albertz signing of his new video. And the school had allowed it. For to the rangers shop, waited in the cue and eventually met the big man. He was signing my hammer video and said "what would you like me to write?" I didn't really get the sentiment that he was asking if I wanted a personal message, I just knew it was an autograph signing, so I said "you're name" he was absolutely pishing himself laughing as we're my maw and the staff. Would like to think he remembers that wee stupid guy who came out with that confused comment like that haha
Ha ha! That’s brilliant mate, I can see myself doing something like that too!

Some atmosphere.

First time in nearly 30years I've watched that.

We actually didnt play that bad up till the 3rd
1st goal OG, 2nd goal free kick off the post and 3rd I would love to know what Gough was doing.

From about 75 minutes onwards we looked lost.

If we didnt lose that early OG it could have been different.

We had coin back then, and Ewan Chester,.....

Why did we not look into buying some of their players.

Prosinecki and pancev.

Still think they were one of the best teams I've seen at Ibrox.Did Souness not send Walter Smith to watch them and he came back with a report lasting two words..."we're fucked"?

Prosinecki and pancev.

For all our scouting wasn’t great I think Pancev was already on his way to Inter and Prosinecki was wanted by every club going

Prosinecki and pancev.

Prosinecki signed for Real Madrid that summer, and Pancev got the biggest wage in europe off of Inter.

Prosinecki was a sensationally lazy bastard. If he was arsed, he should have been a top ten of all time

Still think they were one of the best teams I've seen at Ibrox.Did Souness not send Walter Smith to watch them and he came back with a report lasting two words..."we're fucked"?
I'd love that to be true, he was quite the footballer.

Back