Robert Prytz memories

dh1963

Robert Prytz is 59 today, what memories do the older generation in here have of him?

Played in an unsuccessful Rangers during a terrible spell from 1982 to 1986.
Only won one medal, a substitute in a League Cup Final win over Dundee United in 84-85. He missed the final victory over Celtic the previous season due to suspension.
Scored goals at Parkhead and Pittodrie.

Capped 56 times for Sweden, played in Serie A. Both suggest he was pretty good.

A good player at the wrong time?
Or not good enough to make a difference when we needed it?

I was just a kid but I thought he was a really skilful ball player.

I maintain that a team containing Prytz, Bett, Cooper and Russell should have done far better.

Hard to disagree with that.

Was that team as bad as we remember, or were they unlucky that the sheep, Dundee United and Celtic all had really good teams?

I still think we were bad!

I was just a kid but I thought he was a really skilful ball player.

I maintain that a team containing Prytz, Bett, Cooper and Russell should have done far better.
We should've done much better, however for whatever reason we had a manager, Greig, who didn't fancy the genius that was Cooper.

He scored direct from a corner at the scumhut.

2-1 up and he had a 25 yarder come down off the underside of the bar.
We went on to lose 3-2 right at the death.....one of many horrible days at that time.

From memory, we had started that season really well and went into that game unbeaten. Davie Cooper even scored with a header, thought we had turned the corner.
But the season just collapsed after that late goal, think we got hammered by Cologne the next midweek.

Just noticed the video above of that shot off the bar.
The way we gave up the lead and lost the match that day was horrendous.

On his day he was more than decent imo
Trouble was he may have had more off days than I'd have liked
I remember him as hard working & skilful even if his form was a bit erratic

We weren't great in these days - as has been mentioned above - so presumably he could have been better with a better team around him

Aberdeen had 4 really good players in Leighton, Eck, Miller and Strachan. The rest were SPL players: Rougvie, Weir, Black, Hewitt?

Dundee Utd were a team greater than the sum of their parts. Bannon was a player, Sturrock scored a barrow-load but were they really blessed with better players: Hegarty, McAlpine, Milne? I’d say no.

Our greatest ever Ranger just wasn’t a very good manager.

From memory, we had started that season really well and went into that game unbeaten. Davie Cooper even scored with a header, thought we had turned the corner.
But the season just collapsed after that late goal, think we got hammered by Cologne the next midweek.
That's how I remember it.

It was a good game at Parkhead, could have gone either way. Then Cologne, 5-0 (I was sat in a bath with my head in my hands listening to the commentary), and it all went downhill after that.

Robert Prytz was a good player. He always looked a bit overweight to me but he was a fit boy who was still playing nearing forty.

Aberdeen had 4 really good players in Leighton, Eck, Miller and Strachan. The rest were SPL players: Rougvie, Weir, Black, Hewitt?

Dundee Utd were a team greater than the sum of their parts. Bannon was a player, Sturrock scored a barrow-load but were they really blessed with better players: Hegarty, McAlpine, Milne? I’d say no.

Dundee Utd were brilliant in Europe at that time.

I remember him playing for an amateur team as his team came to patna and played against my dad's team. I never knew who he was being to young but everyone was mentioning it
He played a few games for West Kilbride amateurs. Saw him play one game and he was old as most of the players dads. He didn’t need to put his hand in his pocket at the Kings Arms post match.

First thing that always comes to mind when I hear his name is his free-kick goal up at Shittodrie when we got horsed 5-1. I was only a boy in the beach end with my auld man, an absolute horror show with McDougall scoring two identical back post headers.

Prytz goal around 21:30, I'd avoid the rest of it.

Almost scored a from the halfway line on his debut (I think it was against motherwell or Airdie).
The opposition keeper kicked the ball out and Prytz hit the ball straight back on the volley, only just missing the right hand post.

Almost scored a from the halfway line on his debut (I think it was against motherwell or Airdie).
The opposition keeper kicked the ball out and Prytz hit the ball straight back on the volley, only just missing the right hand post.

Wasn't his debut the game at Motherwell that Jock Wallace had come back as their manager?

He played a few games for West Kilbride amateurs. Saw him play one game and he was old as most of the players dads. He didn’t need to put his hand in his pocket at the Kings Arms post match.

I had a conversation on here about that recently. It’s hard to imagine there will be many guys that have played in a European Cup Final and then sampled the delights of playing ‘doon The Glen’:D

Great player for Uerdingen in Germany afterwards, was sold for lots of money to Bergamo before he came back to Scotland (Kilmarnock) in 96.

I had forgotten about him until one Sunday afternoon he popped up on the Italian football on Channel 4.
Could be wrong but I think he was playing for Verona at that point.

First thing that always comes to mind when I hear his name is his free-kick goal up at Shittodrie when we got horsed 5-1. I was only a boy in the beach end with my auld man, an absolute horror show with McDougall scoring two identical back post headers.

Prytz goal around 21:30, I'd avoid the rest of it.

My first game up there

He still lives in Scotland I think. He was on swedish telly a couple of years ago as a pundit for an OF game. Seemed to have forgotten how to speak swedish almost. And he wasn’t hiding that he’s bear.

To me, United were good because of McLean. A top manager who had his tactics well beyond their years. Due to this, the team as a unit were way beyond the individual players. They did have Narey & Malpas especially who were good.

Don't forget Gough, Malpas, Narey, Payne, Pettigrew - all good players.

I was speaking to a Swedish guy a few months back and he brought up Prytz, says he's now a bit fond of the don revie and makes a living in house removals. He said he saw this on a Swedish documentary, Prytz also mentioned any time he returns to Scotland he doesn't have to put his hands in his pocket.

I liked Prytz, I always thought he was the right player at the wrong time.

After finishing professional football he use to take local boys team and I met him a couple of times. Really nice guy always time for a chat just a good guy.

Latest posts

Back