Roberto Carlos

Teams started to get wise to him and put a player 10 yards away from ball but in the middle of his run up.

I'm sure his conversion rate to free kicks taken is very poor.
I remember someone talking when Beckham went to Real that the two of them would be fighting for free kick duty. Shouldnt even be a discussion. Not a fan of Beckham but his record speaks for itself. The goal above is spectacular but his record was very poor

One of my favourite goals of all time.
Although being reminded that this was 23 years ago just made me a little bit sick in my mouth!

One of the most over rated players I have watched. He got lucky with a couple of free kicks. Was ok (not great) going forward but his defending was awful. Good players, never mind great players, don't tie their laces when defending a free kick (vs France 2006). They also don't try to over head kick a clearance in their own penalty area (vs Denmark 1998, Laudrup's goal). One of the luckiest players to ever have played the game.

One of the best goals I've ever seen is where he basically smashes it on a half volley down near the corner flag from an impossible angle and it somehow manages to find the back of the net.

One of the most over rated players I have watched. He got lucky with a couple of free kicks. Was ok (not great) going forward but his defending was awful. Good players, never mind great players, don't tie their laces when defending a free kick (vs France 2006). They also don't try to over head kick a clearance in their own penalty area (vs Denmark 1998, Laudrup's goal). One of the luckiest players to ever have played the game.
He was actually a good defender, didn't get the credit he deserved for the defensive side of things.

A bit like everyone claimed Flanagan was a good defender purely because he was awful going forward, folk tend to think Carlos couldn't defend because he could attack.

He was actually a good defender, didn't get the credit he deserved for the defensive side of things.

A bit like everyone claimed Flanagan was a good defender purely because he was awful going forward, folk tend to think Carlos couldn't defend because he could attack.

I'll disagree with you here. I think he was shite.

I can remember a picture of his thighs in the papers around that time and it lead to me being obsessed with measuring mine.
I had mate who got a laptop and could therefore access the Internet for the first time around 2007 (he was an avid ceefax man up to that point. He left it out and obviously didn't know how to erase the history, so we could see the very first things he'd searched on Google.

The two I still remember are "Roberto Carlos thigh measurement" and "Sophie Ellis Bextor upskirt".

Spectacular goal, but I’m surprised it still has the same aura and mystique surrounding it given it was in a glorified friendly.

Remember trying to copy it plenty of times after seeing it but never really came close! Ridiculous goal really

I remember someone talking when Beckham went to Real that the two of them would be fighting for free kick duty. Shouldnt even be a discussion. Not a fan of Beckham but his record speaks for itself. The goal above is spectacular but his record was very poor
Aye but Beckham is no Juninho

One of the best goals I've ever seen is where he basically smashes it on a half volley down near the corner flag from an impossible angle and it somehow manages to find the back of the net.

The keeper played a blinder there lol

I'll disagree with you here. I think he was shite.

FFS, I wish our current team was full of shite like Roberto Carlos :))

Some of his achievements, in a playing career that saw him win 125 caps for Brasil & play 370 games for Real Madrid (47 goals) over a 9 year period laden with trophies;
4 La Liga winners medals
3 CL winners medals
1 WC win + 1 RU etc
Numerous personal awards inc FIFA WC All-star team twice + UEFA defender of the year twice,

I'd take him as back up to Borna over Andy Halliday or Flanagan, and that's in his current state at 47 years old.

Remember this was at a pre World Cup tournament in the summer of 1997.

Was incredible at the time. However, I don't think Roberto Carlos was as prolific with free kicks throughout his career.

As an aside, used to enjoy the Paraguayan GK who would score the odd free kick back then.

Back