Roberto Donadoni on Filip Helander - "Rangers are one of the greatest names in football"

Signed up to a Bologna forum last night to ask a few questions expecting to hear great things and they were ripping him to shreds, absolutely baffled at the amount we paid. Took the wind out my sails a bit.

Link us up then, let us see for ourselves.

Can Motherwell not take that big thug back up the road that likes to fling his elbows about so we can get some retribution from this lad.

We seem to have a good relationship with Milan and their former players .possibly stemming from being mutually cheated by the corrupt Marseilles in 93.

I loved watching Donadoni as a player, great skills and crosser of a ball.
The fact he said such nice things about Rangers, only adds to my admiration of the man.
He is probably one of the only players to go to America and return to a big club, and that was before the MLS franchise.

Serie a for 3 years as a defender the guys no going to be messed with, seen a couple of matches he played, half theses teams that sit in against us won’t get out the same as last season.

Yes. What a strange thing it would be to lie about. I can give you the link to the thread if you want. I don't think I'm wrong to be pointing out the fact that the fans of the club he's been at for the past three years think he's mince.

Will you post a link to this please?

Former AC Milan midfielder Roberto Donadoni thinks Filip Helander has all the qualities to be a huge hit in the Scottish Premiership.

The 55-year-old worked with the defender for two years at Bologna after signing him from Hellas Verona.

And it's fair to say the three time European Cup winner was impressed.

Speaking to the Sunday Post, he said: "I'm sure Filip will do very well in Scotland. Having been his coach for two seasons at Bologna, I can say without fear of contradiction that he is a truly exceptional boy.

"He is very serious about being a footballer, an exemplary professional who always aims to improve.

"Filip is one of theose players all coaches would like to have in their team. Certainly I would

"From a technical and tactical perspective, we are talking about a strong, tall, left-footed defender who is very good in central defence.

"Yet he also has the flexibility to play in any other position in the back-line.

"At 26, he is a good age because he has valuable experience - most especially with the Sweden national team - yet is still able to keep improving as a player.

"He is intelligent too, because he has used his natural advantages to be effective in the air.

"That allows him to dominate crosses in defence and be a threat at the other end of the pitch when the opportunity arises.

"I would be surprised if he didn't score a few goals in Scotland.

"What I like about Filip is his winning mentality. He is not afraid of confrontation at all. In fact, my experience is that he relishes that side of the game.

"When matches go that way, his qualities and his determination shine through. he never backs down.

"So I think he will be really well suited to the British game, which for me, can be more muscular than the football we see in some areas of Europe.

"From what I know of Scottish football, that will particularly be the case"

"Rangers are one of the greatest names in football.

"And as Filip's former coach, it will be really nice for me to see him wear the famous jersey and play in front of huge crowds in Glasgow.

"He is genuinly someone I really wish will have a successful career in front of him.

"This is a big move, every bit as significant as the one he took four years ago when first moving to Italy from his home in Sweden.

"It is one I think will work out well for both parties and i look forward to seeing him play for Rangers in the weeks and months ahead.

"Exactly how well they will do I do not know but as i say, I do believe anyone who picks on Filip for physical confrontation will only be playing into his hands."
Brilliant from Roberto. Afine player in his time. " The famous blue jersey". Love it.

Link us up then, let us see for ourselves.

I had a look too, you have to sign up to see the forum but here are some of the posts for you and anyone eklse who is interested:

Good luck to Helander, he always behaved in a serious way, then it was not what we hoped for, but the man and the seriousness must be recognized and appreciated.

Serious, athletically strong, rocky, excellent on high balls, bad if you have to set and if you have to mark fast players.

for the Scottish championship it is a great buy.

In my opinion, he is not a defender able to compete at European level. It has big limits

It depends, he was a good panchinaro, you paid too much for me. Rangers Glasgow great example, you had the balls to start over from the last series and then return to the first without any help .... Chapeau

Inconsistent Ps, in my opinion in the Europe League fatigue, but in the league can do well. Much, even too correct, does not have the nastiness of a Stam that could be useful in your derbies.
Thanks for visiting and keep following us!

Don't worry about the comments, here when you find a scapegoat you don't leave it anymore.
If he finds a team with good balances he will do well, where by good I mean a 6/6 + return, otherwise he is not the kind of player who can change the defense by himself.
Having seen a few games at Glasgow, it will be fine for me.
Until next time, let us know how it goes

I had a look too, you have to sign up to see the forum but here are some of the posts for you and anyone eklse who is interested:

Good luck to Helander, he always behaved in a serious way, then it was not what we hoped for, but the man and the seriousness must be recognized and appreciated.

Serious, athletically strong, rocky, excellent on high balls, bad if you have to set and if you have to mark fast players.

for the Scottish championship it is a great buy.

In my opinion, he is not a defender able to compete at European level. It has big limits

It depends, he was a good panchinaro, you paid too much for me. Rangers Glasgow great example, you had the balls to start over from the last series and then return to the first without any help .... Chapeau

Inconsistent Ps, in my opinion in the Europe League fatigue, but in the league can do well. Much, even too correct, does not have the nastiness of a Stam that could be useful in your derbies.
Thanks for visiting and keep following us!

Don't worry about the comments, here when you find a scapegoat you don't leave it anymore.
If he finds a team with good balances he will do well, where by good I mean a 6/6 + return, otherwise he is not the kind of player who can change the defense by himself.
Having seen a few games at Glasgow, it will be fine for me.
Until next time, let us know how it goes

Cheers bud.

Signed up to a Bologna forum last night to ask a few questions expecting to hear great things and they were ripping him to shreds, absolutely baffled at the amount we paid. Took the wind out my sails a bit.

I signed up too and had a look and saw your post. They're pretty polite over in that forum :cool: .
I was a bit surprised when I read some of the comments as well, but it's all about levels isn't it? Even if he's not great in Serie A, I think he'll do well up here.
Conversely, I had a look at a Malmo forum (a league which is more comparable to ours). He's very highly rated over there (won two titles with them) and they were desperate to have him back, also surprised at how "cheap" he was sold to us.

I signed up too and had a look and saw your post. They're pretty polite over in that forum :cool: .
I was a bit surprised when I read some of the comments as well, but it's all about levels isn't it? Even if he's not great in Serie A, I think he'll do well up here.
Conversely, I had a look at a Malmo forum (a league which is more comparable to ours). He's very highly rated over there (won two titles with them) and they were desperate to have him back, also surprised at how "cheap" he was sold to us.

Bologna weren't doing well when he got injured and subsequently lost his place so its no real surprise they are a bit iffy about him.

I don't think its a wild stab in the dark to assume a 6ft 4" Swedish international will do well in the SPFL.

Yes. What a strange thing it would be to lie about. I can give you the link to the thread if you want. I don't think I'm wrong to be pointing out the fact that the fans of the club he's been at for the past three years think he's mince.
Do you speak/ write in Italian mate or where you using Google translate?

Donadoni who in my opinion played in the best club team ever, knows a thing or two about who is a good footballer and who is not.

Back