Rod Stewart tackled by Rangers players after turning up to training in Celtic socks

BlueMeanie

Well done Stuart !​

The 76-year-old rocker was left fuming and hobbling off the pitch.

Sir Rod Stewart was once left injured after turning up to train with the Scotland national team wearing Celtic socks.
The legendary singer was targeted for violent tackles by R angers players in the squad for showing off the colours of their rivals.
Rangers legend Ally McCoist revealed midfielder Stuart McCall lunged in on Rod with one of the worst challenges he has ever seen.

The 76-year-old rocker was left fuming and hobbling off the pitch during the fiery training session.

The incident happened while the Scotland team and manager Craig Brown were preparing for the 1996 European Championships at a training camp in New York.
Members of the team had joined Sir Rod on stage the night before during one of his gigs at Madison Square Garden.

McCoist, 58, said: "We were in New York and Rod came to train with us in the morning after the concert.

"He can play but he made the fatal mistake of having his Celtic socks on when he was training.
"Stuart McCall had one of the worst tackles I have seen in international football on Rod Stewart after about two minutes.

"Rod was not happy, he was not happy. I think he there and then ruled Stuart McCall out of his backing group for the rest of the season."
Speaking to Alan Brazil on their Talksport podcast Brazil and McCoist Unleashed, the former Ibrox player and manager revealed the team were nursing hangovers after their antics at the gig.
He said: "We were worse for wear. The night before we were told we could have one or two beers but that was it.

"We went in a few cars and went straight to the off licence to get a cargo on our way to Madison Square Garden.
"At the end of the concert we were on stage dancing about with Rod playing imaginary guitars, I think big Colin Hendry was on the drum kit.
"It was amazing, we couldn't believe it."

Earlier this year, Sir Rod revealed he had to have ankle surgery after being tackled by one of his sons while playing football.
The rocker said his 15-year-old boy Alastair injured him during a kickabout and has put an end to his footballing days.
He went under the knife in a bid to repair the ankle last October just months after he also had knee surgery.

I was in New York on HMS Glasgow then and during the day a few of us attended the City Hall in uniform and met the Mayor, Guilliani.
Afterwards we went for something to eat and a drink and we couldn't put our hands in our pockets, yanks were paying for everything.
A couple of the lads decided to stay out in uniform but me and another went back to the ship and got changed and back out on it, ended up in the Tunnel nightclub.
Next morning having a shave bleary eyed, one of the lads who stayed out, a big Rangers fan from Belfast, says "you should've stayed out with us Dave, we ended up at the the Rod Stewart concert at Maddison Square garden"
I reminded him how much I hated RS but he told me how they ended up back stage pissing up with Super Ally and the rest of the Scotland team.
My heart sank. Gutted to have missed it.

Can anybody turn up and join in a Scotland training session then?

If that tit was chocolate he'd eat hinself.

'First Cut (tackle) is The Deepest' then Rod. He stole that song too from Cat Stevens. Plaudits for Stuart McCall.

A young Cat Stevens wrote it but he sold it to PP Arnold for something like $60. Her version still has no equals. It's also Cat Steven's favourite cover of the song.

Oh! And Stuart McCall we salute you.

I was in New York on HMS Glasgow then and during the day a few of us attended the City Hall in uniform and met the Mayor, Guilliani.
Afterwards we went for something to eat and a drink and we couldn't put our hands in our pockets, yanks were paying for everything.
A couple of the lads decided to stay out in uniform but me and another went back to the ship and got changed and back out on it, ended up in the Tunnel nightclub.
Next morning having a shave bleary eyed, one of the lads who stayed out, a big Rangers fan from Belfast, says "you should've stayed out with us Dave, we ended up at the the Rod Stewart concert at Maddison Square garden"
I reminded him how much I hated RS but he told me how they ended up back stage pissing up with Super Ally and the rest of the Scotland team.
My heart sank. Gutted to have missed it.
Cool story Bro.

Thought that someone had kicked him in the throat - at a young age. He certainly is not a singer.

I bet he was croaking on Sunday and I hope that we keep our foot firmly on his and his teams neck, for a number of seasons.

Sprinkle salt into his wounds.

We Are A People.

Here we go again with yet another anti Rangers article, these publications are utterly relentless in their never ending quest to demonise all things Rangers related.
Not sure where the article is from, but those were my thoughts too.

Was this the only story McCoist and Brazil reminisced about on their show?

If not, why is it the only one singled out in the article?

It may be passed off as an amusing anecdote, but the intention is clear: poor Celtic fan Rod brutally assaulted by bigoted Rangers player simply for wearing a pair of grey socks.

To
Here we go again with yet another anti Rangers article, these publications are utterly relentless in their never ending quest to demonise all things Rangers related.
To be fair it’s just a series of direct quotes from Super and doesn’t exactly paint Rangers in a bad light.

Its says more about the SFA and Scotland management that they let a celebrity jakey join training after sending the players to New York for a “couple” of beers.

Well done Stuart !​

Sir Rod Stewart was once left injured after turning up to train with the Scotland national team wearing Celtic socks.
The legendary singer was targeted for violent tackles by R angers players in the squad for showing off the colours of their rivals.
Rangers legend Ally McCoist revealed midfielder Stuart McCall lunged in on Rod with one of the worst challenges he has ever seen.

The 76-year-old rocker was left fuming and hobbling off the pitch during the fiery training session.

The incident happened while the Scotland team and manager Craig Brown were preparing for the 1996 European Championships at a training camp in New York.
Members of the team had joined Sir Rod on stage the night before during one of his gigs at Madison Square Garden.

McCoist, 58, said: "We were in New York and Rod came to train with us in the morning after the concert.

"He can play but he made the fatal mistake of having his Celtic socks on when he was training.
"Stuart McCall had one of the worst tackles I have seen in international football on Rod Stewart after about two minutes.

"Rod was not happy, he was not happy. I think he there and then ruled Stuart McCall out of his backing group for the rest of the season."
Speaking to Alan Brazil on their Talksport podcast Brazil and McCoist Unleashed, the former Ibrox player and manager revealed the team were nursing hangovers after their antics at the gig.
He said: "We were worse for wear. The night before we were told we could have one or two beers but that was it.

"We went in a few cars and went straight to the off licence to get a cargo on our way to Madison Square Garden.
"At the end of the concert we were on stage dancing about with Rod playing imaginary guitars, I think big Colin Hendry was on the drum kit.

Earlier this year, Sir Rod revealed he had to have ankle surgery after being tackled by one of his sons while playing football.
The rocker said his 15-year-old boy Alastair injured him during a kickabout and has put an end to his footballing days.
He went under the knife in a bid to repair the ankle last October just months after he also had knee surgery.
That’s made my day.

Well done Stuart !​

He would have been 51 at the time, not sure why they mention (twice) his current age.

Well done Stuarty!! He probably thought he would be funny turning up in his Septic Socks!! I would have broke his F**king leg!! Another Big Nosed Arsehole!!

A young Cat Stevens wrote it but he sold it to PP Arnold for something like $60. Her version still has no equals. It's also Cat Steven's favourite cover of the song.

Oh! And Stuart McCall we salute you.
For my sins I'm a fan of Rod even though his love affair with the tims is turning him into a right fanny. I'm obviously biased so I played all three versions to my son , he was in total agreement that Rod is by far the best version of first cut is the deepest. Take all three voices out of the equation and the arrangement of Rod's version is a masterpiece while the PP and Cat versions sound like pub bands.

I am sure Rod got carried off injured after trying to tackle Davie Cooper in a charity match at Pollok.

For my sins I'm a fan of Rod even though his love affair with the tims is turning him into a right fanny. I'm obviously biased so I played all three versions to my son , he was in total agreement that Rod is by far the best version of first cut is the deepest. Take all three voices out of the equation and the arrangement of Rod's version is a masterpiece while the PP and Cat versions sound like pub bands.
I don't mind Rod's version but to me the PP Arnold one is the classic with the inventive arrangements and edgy singing. Rod has just blanded it down, similar to what he did with Tom Waits Downtown Train.

Back