Romario and Stoichkov vs Man Utd

Remember watching that at the time. The first game at old trafford was good, a 2-2 draw iirc.

Barcelona were just far too strong for them in above game.

I remember Romario claiming he'd scored his 1,000th goal...pitch invasion and the game was halted for 15 minutes. Turns out he was counting under 15 games etc.

His daughters videos are tasty! :p

Remember they tore them to shreds, in the build up they singled out Man Utd’s centre halfs, Bruce and Pallister (probably the two best in the league) saying they would be to quick for them etc. They were.

Have no recollection of that Man United goalkeeper at all

It was rare to see that Man United team take a doing but Stoichkov and Romario were great players, Pep skying one over the bar at the start too

Remember they tore them to shreds, in the build up they singled out Man Utd’s centre halfs, Bruce and Pallister (probably the two best in the league) saying they would be to quick for them etc. They were.

Big Duncan Ferguson used to love a shot at those two as well, he could take them both on at the same time.

The sharpness of Romario over half a yard is scary. He is strong and direct. Shame the amount of egos in that side undermined it.

I think Stoichkov and Romario could have been something incredible but they hardly played together.

I'm too young to have seen the game live, but seeing Schmeichel and Cantona sitting in the stands at 0:16... Surely I can't be the only one who thinks the game might have been different if they had played? That's like us losing McGregor and Morelos, Goram and Laudrup, etc. for an Old Firm!

On the back of the 1994 WC where the two of them (along with Baggio) absolutely dominated games. Scored 11 between them and I think Stoichkov got player of the tournament and topped the scoring charts with a certain Oleg Salenko. Scored a beauty against Germany on the way to knocking them out IIRC.

Man Utd were weakened right enough. Wtf is the keeper doing at the first two goals? PS saves both of those imo. Likely lost the game anyway but cant be doing that.

Last edited:
I'm too young to have seen the game live, but seeing Schmeichel and Cantona sitting in the stands at 0:16... Surely I can't be the only one who thinks the game might have been different if they had played? That's like us losing McGregor and Morelos, Goram and Laudrup, etc. for an Old Firm!
Was there not a story behind that? Something to do with the three foreigner rule? Fergie tried to be a smart arse and it backfired on him big time.

Romario was awesome. He played for PSV and Bobby Robson used to say “as long as he turns up for the Friday team meeting he plays.” He was also the reason the fat Ronaldinho (Ronaldo!) went to PSV. One of the very finest finishers in football. It looked so easy for him.

Last edited:
Romario was awesome. He played for PSV and Bobby Robson used to say “as long as he turns up for the Friday team meeting he plays.” He was also the reason the fat Ronaldinho went to PSV. One of the very finest finishers in football. It looked so easy for him.

Assuming you meant Ronaldo.

Bit off topic but Ronaldo's goal scoring record, even as a 16/17 year old was frightening.

Reactions: TQ3
Was there not a story behind that? Something to do with the three foreigner rule? Fergie tried to be a smart arse and it backfired on him big time.
I didn't even consider that... Very good point!

Had a quick look at the line-ups and can see Barca's 3 foreigners were Stoichkov, Romario & Koeman; and Man Utd had Kanchelskis, Irwin and Keane.

For a bench that included Scholes and Beckham I think I'd have left Kanchelskis out and played Schmeichel. Even if they weren't good enough at the time... I think I'd rather have a novice Beckham/Scholes than a novice keeper.

I remember Stoichkov telling the English media what he and his partner Romario were going to do to United prior to that game. Didn’t disappoint did they ?

He was one cocky little bastard with a huge ego was wee Hristo but boy did he have the talent to back it up.

Had a quick look at the line-ups and can see Barca's 3 foreigners were Stoichkov, Romario & Koeman; and Man Utd had Kanchelskis, Irwin and Keane.

For a bench that included Scholes and Beckham I think I'd have left Kanchelskis out and played Schmeichel. Even if they weren't good enough at the time... I think I'd rather have a novice Beckham/Scholes than a novice keeper.

No Giggs as well because of that rule. That was the last year before it was scrapped. I mind Ferguson saying United would have won the champions league within 2 years of English clubs being readmitted if it wasn’t for that rule.

No Giggs as well because of that rule. That was the last year before it was scrapped. I mind Ferguson saying United would have won the champions league within 2 years of English clubs being readmitted if it wasn’t for that rule.
Great though Soichkov, Roamrio etc were they wouldn't have beaten the first choice Man Utd team of that year 4-0. IMHO of course,

Yeah it was the 3 foreigners rule.
Walsh tells a story that the night before he was warming up at the Nou Camp and Mick Hucknall was thete, he started taking shots with Walsh failing to save every one. 24 hours later Fergie picks him to start, losing just 4 isn’t bad considering...

Pretty sure one of the Man U players think it was Steve Bruce said in an interview that as they were in the tunnel Romario starting juggling the ball then as they were walking out he was bouncing it from shoulder to shoulder. At that point he knew they had no chance.

The days when nearly every team seemed to have a naturally gifted world class player. Even teams like La Coruna in Spain or Fiorentina or Parma in Italy. Nearly every country had a real star. Who is the best player from Bulgaria or Romania now?
Now it seems that every great player has signed for one of 6-8 teams. And everybody else is more an athlete than a great football player.
Ronaldo and Romario for PSV Eindhoven? Come on. The 90s were the best for football.

Back