Ron McKinnon

I believe Ronnie, still in lives in Stornoway.
Isle of Lewis.
Where he was born.

Where incidentally my late uncle (on my mother's side) also came from.
Also called...funnily enough... 'McKinnon'.
But no relation.

As far as I know!

Yep, I send pictures and comments from here to his nephew (Charlton supporter).

I'll pass on this one. B-)

Isle of Lewis.
Where he was born.

But no relation.

As far as I know!
Ronnie Mackinnon’s father was from the Isle of Skye,his mother was from the Isle of Lewis. He is still alive alive and was in the Lewis and Harris Rangers Supporters on Tuesday to watch the Rangers 72 documentary

Knew Ronnie and Donnie when they stayed in Pollok lived across the road in Whinhill Road. Donnie would have a wee kick about with us but Ronnie never.

Ronnie Mackinnon’s father was from the Isle of Skye,his mother was from the Isle of Lewis. He is still alive alive and was in the Lewis and Harris Rangers Supporters on Tuesday to watch the Rangers 72 documentary
He should have been involved.
Right up until that Sporting game, Ron was one of the first names on the team sheet.
I grew up watching him play centre half and he was the best stopper of his generation.

Why did I think he lived in South Africa? Did he play there for a while? Was it him who was instrumental in Gough coming to Scotland?

Knew Ronnie and Donnie when they stayed in Pollok lived across the road in Whinhill Road. Donnie would have a wee kick about with us but Ronnie never.
Did he ever live in Govan? I always thought he went to my old primary school, Greenfield.

left Pollok in 1963 and moved to Mosspark. He might have lived there before Pollok.
His parents lived in Mosspark Oval just up the hill from the school when I was there 1970-1972 we would look out for his car if he was visiting and try to have a chat.

His parents lived in Mosspark Oval just up the hill from the school when I was there 1970-1972 we would look out for his car if he was visiting and try to have a chat.
I went to primary school with his sister McGill primary in Pollok and they moved in 1963.

I have two main memories of Ronnie McKinnon, both of which relate to games at Hampden. The first was the League Cup Final against them in 1965. I was in the old North Stand that day. We had been all over them in the early stages with Jim Forrest clean through twice and Simpson saving them. They went up the pitch and on their first real attack swung in a high ball which for some reason McKinnon punched away when the ball was about a foot above his head. It was bewildering and they scored from the penalty kick. The second memory was an international against Wales in 1968. The score stood at 2-2 when big Ronnie scored the winner late on with a great shot from inside the box.

Isle of Lewis.
Where he was born.

But no relation.

As far as I know!
According to the Wee Blue Book, he was born in Glasow, one of my favouite players when I played CH for the school team, great defender for us and Scotland, and would have been a certain starter ro Barca 72
Joined us from Benburb
Ended his career in South Africa IIRC

According to the Player By Player book, Ronnie played 473 games for us and scored 3 goals. It says he played for Benburb and Dunipace Juniors. According to other sources, his mother was born on Lewis and he spent some time there as a child during WWII.

Big Ronnie was a magnificent centre half and great servant to the club. It’s a tragedy that he missed our greatest ever moment in Europe through a broken leg suffered in the quarter final.
Loved Ronnie. I remember the leg break - all we talked about in school the next day was Ronnie breaking his leg, it was like a world event when you were 10. He was out for a about a year if I recall and i don't think he ever played for us again - great player and club servant.

I have two main memories of Ronnie McKinnon, both of which relate to games at Hampden. The first was the League Cup Final against them in 1965. I was in the old North Stand that day. We had been all over them in the early stages with Jim Forrest clean through twice and Simpson saving them. They went up the pitch and on their first real attack swung in a high ball which for some reason McKinnon punched away when the ball was about a foot above his head. It was bewildering and they scored from the penalty kick. The second memory was an international against Wales in 1968. The score stood at 2-2 when big Ronnie scored the winner late on with a great shot from inside the box.
I could have strangled him that day. But when I saw the highlights later that night it appeared that as Ronnie was in the air to head the ball Joe McBride didn’t jump but knocked against his left leg and unbalanced him. They weren’t in the game when it happened. But I remember him doing the same thing at Tynecastle in the first game that season, a League Cup tie, when there was no danger and it gave Hearts a penalty.

Big Ronnie was a magnificent centre half and great servant to the club. It’s a tragedy that he missed our greatest ever moment in Europe through a broken leg suffered in the quarter final.
Sorry, the qf was against Torino.

His legbreak was the previous round second leg against Sporting Lisbon. A dreadful and deliberate injury, by all accounts.

Pernickety Loyal.

His brother, Don McKinnon, played for Partick Thistle.
They were twins. Donnie played for Thistle for many years also at centre half. He was also their Physio after he retired and worked with the Scottish team as well.
Used to see the two of them in Carloway in Lewis where there Mum was from when they were young lads.
Just seen that Donnie was also in the Gregory’s Girl movie playing the role of a football coach.

Last edited:
They were twins. Donnie played for Thistle for many years also at centre half. He was also their Physio after he retired and worked with the Scottish team as well.
Used to see the two of them in Carloway in Lewis where there Mum was from when they were young lads.
Just seen that Donnie was also in the Gregory’s Girl movie playing the role of a football coach.
I went to Donnie’s testimonial, Thistle v Manchester United at Firhill. I think that was the only time I saw George Best play.

I could have strangled him that day. But when I saw the highlights later that night it appeared that as Ronnie was in the air to head the ball Joe McBride didn’t jump but knocked against his left leg and unbalanced him. They weren’t in the game when it happened. But I remember him doing the same thing at Tynecastle in the first game that season, a League Cup tie, when there was no danger and it gave Hearts a penalty.
Remember reading his interview in the Scotsport Yearbook, must have been the following year, where he mentioned this incident and his worry that it would cost him his place in the National team. He freely admitted it was his stupidity and couldn’t explain why he handled the ball.

According to the Wee Blue Book, he was born in Glasow, one of my favouite players when I played CH for the school team, great defender for us and Scotland, and would have been a certain starter ro Barca 72
Joined us from Benburb
I'm sure it was Durban he played for.

Joined us from Benburb

Really?

(In the best Michael Caine cockney accent) "I did not know that"
Maybe it was just his parents that hailed from Outer Hebrides.(ie. up there!)

Certainly one of Ronnie's finest, and proudest moments, in a Gers shirt.
Picking up the League Cup in the absence of John Greig.

(sadly only the goal)

Back